Football - Aftermath of the Euros

baxus

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I'd prefer to see them allow play continue at close offsides that would lead to a chance on goal and have a quick replay review to decide whether to call play back.  Same for reviewing penalty decisions -- they are too big a deal to not do a quick review. 

Definitely. I'd add red cards to that list. I hate when refs fuck up games when a quick review would have made it legit. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I'm not saying the new measures are unwelcome. I just think there are more pressing matters for the PL to worry about. Like grown men acting like children, trying to get colleagues sent off, feigning injury, Diego Costa, rugby tactics at corners, etc, etc, etc. It's pathetic. Are they not concerned with the image of their product?

That is, in fact, one of the things these rules are aimed at preventing.

The sport could be cleaned up in weeks. All it would take would be a simple directive to all referees. Apply the laws of the game. No exceptions.

Simple to say, extraordinarily difficult to do, as I've pointed out before.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Simple to say, extraordinarily difficult to do, as I've pointed out before.

I refuse to accept that.

Here's just one example of something that would have an immediate impact on one of the most unedifying aspects of the modern game. During corners, instead of the ref blowing up and having a chat with the wrestlers, blow up for a penalty as soon as the ball is in play. Do this, without exception, and the problem will be gone in weeks.

The only people moaning about it would be the cheaters and their managers. Fuck those guys.

12 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I refuse to accept that.

That's fine. Doesn't change the facts.

Here's just one example of something that would have an immediate impact on one of the most unedifying aspects of the modern game. During corners, instead of the ref blowing up and having a chat with the wrestlers, blow up for a penalty as soon as the ball is in play. Do this, without exception, and the problem will be gone in weeks.

Attempt to do this, without exception, and you won't even finish the first match. You'll have to abandon it because of the number of players sent off.

And why would the referee start play in a situation where he knows he'll have to stop it again instantly and send a player off? That's not good refereeing or consistency with the laws, it's just being bloody-minded. Nothing in the laws suggests that the referee should not warn players or should restart play in circumstances that he knows will lead to a dismissal: quite the reverse. The ref's job is to manage the game. Warning players is part of that process.

The only people moaning about it would be the cheaters and their managers. Fuck those guys.

The people moaning about it will include, but not be limited to, all of the players, all of the managers, the clubs, the fans, the media, and everyone else, because the game will have been ruined to prove a point.

It's always pleasant to believe that a frustrating problem has an easy solution that people are either too dumb to see or too lazy to implement. But it's very rarely true.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

It's always pleasant to believe that a frustrating problem has an easy solution that people are either too dumb to see or too lazy to implement. But it's very rarely true.

You're right, man. I just find this one of the more annoying aspects of the culture of cheating that has enveloped the sport in recent years. A culture that the governing bodies seem to have little appetite for tackling. Yeah, my corner/penalty thing could do with a bit of fleshing out, but I'm sure some brighter minds than me could come up with real, effective measures for tackling the problem. But nobody seems to care. Yeah, twitter has a good old laugh at the likes of Marcelo, Pepe and Costa every once in a while, but the cheats keep getting away with it. Grrrr!

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

You're right, man. I just find this one of the more annoying aspects of the culture of cheating that has enveloped the sport in recent years. A culture that the governing bodies seem to have little appetite for tackling. Yeah, my corner/penalty thing could do with a bit of fleshing out, but I'm sure some brighter minds than me could come up with real, effective measures for tackling the problem. But nobody seems to care. Yeah, twitter has a good old laugh at the likes of Marcelo, Pepe and Costa every once in a while, but the cheats keep getting away with it. Grrrr!

I see it like this: to change the culture is a gradual process. You need to make easier changes first. Starting with dissent is key. It not only sets out your stall, but helps the ref to deal with other violations, such as grabbing shirts at corners. I'm pretty sure that the football authorities do want to tackle that, in time, but want to enhance the authority of the ref first.

Anyway, I see Celtic have managed to restore normal service, putting 3 past Lincoln Red Imps in the first half-hour then strolling for the rest of the game. Doesn't make up for the first leg, but they're through.

Ragnar Klavan to LFC for a reported £4.2M, signing a 3 year contract.

Ragnar Klavan made 770 successful clearances in the Bundesliga over the last 4 seasons; more than any other player.

He's also no.2 in blocks in Bundesliga,behind Matip (previous season).

Joe Allen is gone :D

Liverpool accept £13m bid for Joe Allen from Stoke City | @AHunterGuardian

Wow,Subotic has failed his medical at Boro.:o

Subotic's Middlesbrough FC transfer scrapped after medical reveals serious problems.

Retroactive, multi-game suspensions for divers and stompers. Slow-motion, HD replays from every conceivable angle have made this possible and believable.  Let the fallibility of officials rule the game, and let the truth of the camera correct the mistakes in the harshest possible way post game.  

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Wow,Subotic has failed his medical at Boro.:o

It's sad to see that. He had a couple of really great seasons in Borussia. His goal line clearance in Champions League finals against Bayern is still one of the best moves from a defender I have ever seen.

He had knee injuries or something like that but the latest problems are related with thrombosis in his arm. Failing a medical would suggest it's pretty serious. I hope he recovers quickly and gets back to his top form.

EDIT:

Serbian media report that Subotić has problems with his ribs and will have to undergo surgery, sidelining him until the end of the year.

Archived