Football - Aftermath of the Euros

baxus

So latest news from Arsenal is that they'll be without 6 starters for the opening match against Liverpool (Ramsey, Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla, Giroud, Koscielny). I don't think we're going to win unless we play like Leceister late in the season and just send Walcott long 15 times during the game to maybe catch them once.

It seemed the Pogba deal was nearly done, but now maybe it isn't, negotations still ongoing.

Getting him would be massive, to state the obvious.

Wijnaldum's a nice buy for Liverpool bw, good midfielder who certainly strengthens their team. 

20 hours ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

Estimated £25 m bid for Wijnaldum accepted, if reports are to be believed. I think he could do really well under Klopp.

i think that he even won't be the starting player in Liverpool.
£25 m are too much for him. Let's see.

13 hours ago, Notone said:

Götze to Dortmund is indeed a done deal now.

Rumor is that Dortmund wants to sign Götze's buddy Schürrle, too. 

Players gone from Borussia to other clubs are returning back in Dortmund- Sahin, Kagawa and now Gotze

Some first class trolling from Ivan Gazidis.

GAZIDIS TALKS ABOUT SUMMER SPENDING, AND WELL …

“Leicester identified players from the French second division, so maybe there’s talent that we’ve been overlooking. They did their talent identification well, they had great unity within the group, as well as quality.

“It wasn’t built on money. It was built on the great fitness work they did. It was built on all of these other elements. I think that’s going to be a continuing trend within the Premier League.”

The trend will not continue. Leicester capitalized on what can only be described as catastrophic failure by the so-called top clubs, and managed to cheese their way to the title. The chances of such a thing ever happening again are remote, to say the least.

You have to wonder what the likes of Ozil and Sanchez must be thinking. Probably along the lines of 'Get me the fuck out of here!'

To come in a little late on the refereeing and technology front, I think it's going to be difficult to get much more technology in the game, and not just because FIFA and UEFA will drag its feet.

Goal-line technology is a relatively simple innovation. It automatically assesses and gives a decision instantly i.e., referee gets a buzzer when it goes in, and so can instantly react to that as to whether it's a goal, or wave it away if it isn't. Play is uninterrupted and continues as usual. In the context of the running of the game, goal-line technology does not affect it at all.

In offside calls it's probably reasonable simple...linesmen won't want to initially call offside for fear of being wrong. It's better to allow a goal and then take it back later (rather than stop one from happening and find out it should have been allowed). So you're going to see a lot of offside goals that are initially allowed and then denied. This is annoying, but I suppose not necessarily a deal-breaker. It happens in cricket nowadays when umpires check the no-ball, I suppose.

The penalty calls are tougher, because unlike the offsides (which only examine the attacking team and check a very specific thing), penalties examine both the attackers and defenders where a mountain of potential things could be checked. Once the ref blows the whistle, does he have to specify what he is looking for? What if something else turns up in the evidence that indicates it should go the other way? What if the evidence says that nothing happened, it was neutral, and play should have continued? Which leads to another point...does the ref have to blow instantly, or is he allowed to wait a certain amount of time before he checks? If he blows instantly, and then penalty is denied, attacking teams would be furious that play has been stopped before their attack could have been fully played out (we see examples of penalty appeals where the attacking team then goes on to score anyway). If he's allowed to see how things go and then blow, how long can that be? I'm sure I could come up with some complicated scenario where it all stuffs up but I'm tired at the moment...

Anyway, short version is that I think the comparison of goal-line technology with penalty replays is a bit too simplistic. There are way, way more questions and complications with implementation of penalty replays than with the relatively simple, instant, up-and-down of goal-line technology.

Klopp gave a clarification on why he brought Manninger in.

It's not to mentor young goalies, but to allow young goalies to go out on loans for the season. Apparently, rules don't allow a club to bring an U21 player back from loan to a team in England in case they need him.

Wow ManU got a sound beating there from Dortmund starting their rebuild. And Today they announced the signing of Schürrle.

I am probably the only one who finds it somewhat amusing, that accidently Götze and Schürrle are vacationing together after the Euros.

BVB are very, very good.  Liverpool managed a one-off victory against them but their overall cohesion and clarity of tactics was much superior.  High player turnover this summer might disrupt them but they still seem to benefit from such a clear pattern/identity of how they play.  I'm not surprised at all that they hammered a United team not yet including many of their new signings.  Both teams had a lot of players at international tournaments but BVB will handle that better.

Allardyce confirmed.  Noble for England might actually happen now.  Sunderland talking to Moyes.

United seem unfazed that no other club is even considering bidding for Pogba at this price, not even the club whose identity is wrapped up in over-bidding for the biggest stars because the big price tag is part of the appeal.  United in recent years have adopted a quasi-galactico policy: they're all about buying marquee names just to show that they are still a big club.  They're almost lucky to have picked up Martial along with the big names for big prices policy.

Allardyce's England starting 11:

.............Carroll....Defoe

...................Rooney

.........Noble..........Cattermole

.....................Dier

Cresswell.......................Walker

.........Smalling.....Shawcross

.....................Hart

Actually, I was joking when I started this post, but now I could kind of see this working...

It will be a massive experiment but it still has a chance of being successful.

English football has probably suffered from the lack of a coherent tactical identity. Even if it will be some agricultural long balls allied to robust physical defending, Allardici at least has a clear idea of what he wants to do and obviously knows how to employ it, judging by his club sides, even if it hasn't always been wildly successful for him. The question is how long the fans and FA will stomach this playing style if he doesn't start getting results.

Archived