Football - Aftermath of the Euros

baxus

17 hours ago, Notone said:

Final squad announcements.

Endland: 

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Fraser Forster (Southampton)

Defenders: John Stones (Everton), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Danny Rose (Tottenham)

Midfielders Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Dele Alli (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), James Milner (Liverpool)

Forwards Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Wayne Rooney (Man Utd), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham)

Out Delph (Injury), Drinkwater, Townsend

Can't help but say that this is just a strong looking squad. I know they never do well at european tournaments but I have a feeling England might go far this time around. Quarter finals is in the cards. The selection makes a great deal of sense anyway, no one omitted that should be in. He included Rashford, well done. Kane and Vardy should play. Sturridge may even have a useful moment at some point. Not quite sure who will start in midfield.

Not making it to the QF would be a disaster for England. They should win Group B quite easily and then face a 3rd place finisher on round of 16. If one of Russia/Slovakia/Wales manages to top England in the Group the next opponent for B2 is F2, so if we presume Portugal wins that group, one of Austria/Hungary/Iceland. That could actually be the easier route to Quarterfinals.

6 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Can't help but say that this is just a strong looking squad. I know they never do well at european tournaments but I have a feeling England might go far this time around. Quarter finals is in the cards. The selection makes a great deal of sense anyway, no one omitted that should be in. He included Rashford, well done. Kane and Vardy should play. Sturridge may even have a useful moment at some point. Not quite sure who will start in midfield.

I am not so sure. I think it's another England squad. Good for name recognition, less good on the pitch. 

I remember a similar discussion before the World Cup about the England squad. My friend thought England should make it out of their group. I said no. Uruguay and Italy are by far better. The argument went back forth mainly Uruguay? Who do they have apart from Suarez? Cavani for starters. Of course we both ended up being wrong, with Uruguay and Costa Rica advancing (that I totally did not see coming). Anyway, my point was/is, I am somewhat less convinced by English squads ever after 1998. 

E.g. in this England squad, I see a lot of good physical midfielders, but I don't really see a passing playmaker, who distributes the balls. So I am not sure this squad will fare against deep defending sides. This squad has quite a bit of upside against teams that are playing offensively, but which teams will do that?

2 hours ago, Notone said:

E.g. in this England squad, I see a lot of good physical midfielders, but I don't really see a passing playmaker, who distributes the balls. So I am not sure this squad will fare against deep defending sides. This squad has quite a bit of upside against teams that are playing offensively, but which teams will do that?

England looks pretty ineffective in midfield and lacks any sort of playmaker.  They have enough quality to beat a weak team, but with some scares in their own defense.  They have a good chance against an open team with lots of end-to-end play.  They'll probably struggle against a high quality organized team unless that team is unready for a high press by Kane, Alli, Lallana, Milner and Henderson -- but that seems unlikely since Rooney and a couple of other non-pressers are likely to have starting spots, so the pressing will be diluted.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

If anyone wants an early look at the new champions of Europe, Poland vs Netherlands kicks off in a few minutes.

That's unlikely, as Holland actually managed not to qualify.

Dutch are currently beating a full strength Polish side with their b-team btw. Too little too late, of course.

I'm more worried he'll get fatigued and then injured while on international duty.

But yes in the back of my mind I'm thinking a Fabregas might be in the works, especially now that Barca need someone...urgh.

Archived