Football - Aftermath of the Euros

baxus

27 minutes ago, Raja said:

Uggh - I don't want this. Can we get Higuain instead? 

This is going to move quickly. Lots of reports saying a Arsenal want a deal done by Sunday ahead of the Euros. If it does happen, Wenger is clearly giving it a real shot this upcoming season. Still don't have a striker of the future but we'll at least have some pace up front who can finish with Ozil/Cazorla/Xhaka supplying the through balls. Only problem is there is rarely any space in behind the defense against teams we play so we'll have to really allow them to have possession. 

Zlatan, Vardy and Bartra make it a busy day all of a sudden.  I agree with the others that Vardy seems like the wrong type for Arsenal but perhaps he can be what Walcott was supposed to offer as a striker.  Decent business by Dortmund so far to consolidate their #2 spot in Germany (but nothing to really challenge Bayern). 

Dunno about Vardy. Obviously he's a better finisher than anyone else we've got, and his pace could be handy, but he'll have to adapt to a slightly different style, being used more to through-balls etc.

He's also expensive considering he's essentially a 29 year-old, one-season wonder.

Better than nothing but I would prefer a more established name.

12 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I know it's probably bullshit but I had to post it. I've seen multiple reports today that Arsenal have activated Jamie Vardys release clause :dunno: 

They've tried the same with Suarez, and we know how that went. ;) 

5 hours ago, baxusz said:

They've tried the same with Suarez, and we know how that went. ;) 

They were misinformed in that transfer deal - apparently afc were told that 40million + 1 would trigger a release clause, however, it only meant that Liverpool had to inform suarez that a transfer bid had been made. 

Re: Vardy - every major outlet seems to be reporting on this - sigh. I don't know what to thin. I keep thinking he's probably a one hit wonder and will be awful for us next season ( if we do end up buying him) 

Also, I'm not sure why I thought Joel Campbell is from Columbia - he's costa rican 

At least with Vardy being 29, even if he does flop, we should still be looking for striker of the future. It's not like he can be much worse than Giroud. I just wish he wasn't such a racist asshole. Don't really want that on the team.

44 minutes ago, Hazardous said:

If reports are to be believed, Everton are close to appointing Ronald Koeman as manager. 

I'm hoping he brings Fraser Forster along, if true.

That's a coup for Everton and a major blow for the Saints.  They've lost top players and now two very good managers in recent years.  If it weren't for the new owner and financial resources at Everton, I'd question why Koeman would be interested. 

18 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That's a coup for Everton and a major blow for the Saints.  They've lost top players and now two very good managers in recent years.  If it weren't for the new owner and financial resources at Everton, I'd question why Koeman would be interested. 

If I weren't to (hopefully) profit emotionally from this, I'd question the move for sure. But that's in the same vein that I question every player moving up the food chain for bigger bucks. 

Generally, there is an obscene amount of money involved, and whenever I step back from being a fan and try to look at football rationally, I'm disgusted with the salaries, the cost of transfers and the like. However, I love to watch the game, so I've accepted that I'm a raving hypocrite on this matter, and try to change the subject.

Archived