Wildfire in the Vision [possible spoilers]

RadSam

I know they worked it so the Wildfire scenes looked like Aerys' doing, but my thought is that it was visions from the future, and it was Cersei once and for all burning down King's Landing. I've always believed she would, and I think this was a sign of things to come.

The question is, why? To save them before the WW get them? To take the city away from Dany? Or because she's completely lost her mind at that point?

11 hours ago, RadSam said:

I know they worked it so the Wildfire scenes looked like Aerys' doing, but my thought is that it was visions from the future, and it was Cersei once and for all burning down King's Landing. I've always believed she would, and I think this was a sign of things to come.

The question is, why? To save them before the WW get them? To take the city away from Dany? Or because she's completely lost her mind at that point?

I have always thought that it's because she has gone insane. In the books her mentality is more frail, she burned down the Tower of the Hand after Tyrion escapes because she fears he is in the walls. She has the heads of dwarves brought to her as bounty hunters try to kill Tyrion. Jaime has left for the Riverlands and isn't answering her plea's for help.

The show however hasn't yet shown the same mental state, she seems much more in control of herself.

Cersei will lose her shit if the prophecy is realized, which is highly understandable. I'd go so far as to say that she took her daughter's death pretty well. I would have sent 10,000 men to Dorne and sacked the whole place. 

Well it would make total sense for her to try to burn down KL and have Jaime fulfill the valonquar part of the prophecy. Time is a flat circle. If I had $10 for long odds, I would say that's what happens, but she only burns down the Red Keep and Jaime is the unsung savior of King's Landing again. 

2 hours ago, The Imp slap said:

Cersei will lose her shit if the prophecy is realized, which is highly understandable. I'd go so far as to say that she took her daughter's death pretty well. I would have sent 10,000 men to Dorne and sacked the whole place. 

Cersei and Jaime's reaction to Myrcella's death has been very tame. 

Maybe it's because the High Sparrow / Faith have been so problematic that they can't worry about it, or maybe it was a directional decision by the show-runners: LESS DORNE THE BETTER. 

Can't argue with that, to be fair. 

The tricky part is that it's the only vision that takes place in the future.   All others are in the past.  It must be in the future because Aerys didn't get to burn them all and the wildfire stocks are still there to this day...

11 hours ago, 20goodHoldtheDoors said:

Seriously?  You are referring ONLY to the wildfire scenes right? lol I hope you are not implying that the person being assassinated near the IT is anyone other than dear old beloved Mad King Aerys, Second of His Name.  That would just be silly ;)

Of course I'm only referring to the wildfire scenes.

My take - based on what Benjen was saying and what D&D talked about on the making of this episode is Bran was "downloading" info from the past from the 3ER point of views...I don't think anything was from the future - not once did they visit the future either...so while we may have never seen wildfire like that in the vision doesn't mean it didn't happen at some point in the past...same for dragons...and I could be 100% wrong haha

8 hours ago, ebourget said:

The tricky part is that it's the only vision that takes place in the future.   All others are in the past.  It must be in the future because Aerys didn't get to burn them all and the wildfire stocks are still there to this day...

Well there was that whole Battle of Blackwater Bay thing...

35 minutes ago, Wyl of Wyl said:

My take - based on what Benjen was saying and what D&D talked about on the making of this episode is Bran was "downloading" info from the past from the 3ER point of views...I don't think anything was from the future - not once did they visit the future either...so while we may have never seen wildfire like that in the vision doesn't mean it didn't happen at some point in the past...same for dragons...and I could be 100% wrong haha

From what I understand of Wildfire, if that had happened in the past, there would be no Red Keep left standing.

This could happen to a point, after all, we have Cersei burn the Tower of the Hand in the books. But I don’t think she’ll burn the entire city, just one part. Since she seems 100% sure she can use the Mountain as her champion in the trial by combat, I think that she will be stopped by doing so. They can’t kill him, but maybe they can say that since the king and the Faith are one, all his KG are champions of the Faith, the Mountain included.

She can’t choose another champion, because they’ll probably fight the Mountain or the best KG. So they’ll going to hold a big trial in the Sept. Everybody will go there, Cersei will close all doors and burn it to the ground, with all the sparrows, the HS, and other people inside.

They could have a WTF moment when she later finds out that Tommen was also inside, although she told him to skip it. Or the fire will spread. Or the fire will hit an underground wildfire deposit, one of those the pyromancers prepared for the Mad King. And kaboom, all of KL will have a impromptu barbeque party.

Bran also sees a dragon's shadow over a city (KL?), it’s probably from the future too (if I remember correctly, Dany in s2ep10 has the same vision while wandering through the House of Undying). And yes, I believe the wildfire explosions are from some future scene. But I’m not absolutely sure. Should they show us this vision if it’ll come true in, say, ep10? It would be a massive spoiler. (But Dany sees the destructed snow-covered throne room in her vision, is it a spoiler too?)

EDIT. No, I remember now: the earlier dragon-shadow vision is Bran’s too, he sees it in Season 4 when he touches a weirwood tree (on his way to the Raven).

• 3 weeks later...
On 2.6.2016 at 6:51 AM, Illiterati said:

Well there was that whole Battle of Blackwater Bay thing...

But that part of the wildfire didn't explode in the cellar where all of the wildfire was stocked. It has to be the future, because that cellar ist still intact and if it had exploded, King's Landing would be gone.

7 hours ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

But that part of the wildfire didn't explode in the cellar where all of the wildfire was stocked. It has to be the future, because that cellar ist still intact and if it had exploded, King's Landing would be gone.

Was responding to "All others are in the past.  It must be in the future because Aerys didn't get to burn them all and the wildfire stocks are still there to this day."

At least part of his wildfyre stocks were used by Tyrion defending KL.

I believe Qyburn's rumor to be about other hidden locations of it, but without that, one cannot assume it is there just because Aerys didn't use it.

Archived