Who are the best commanders who are still alive?

blackfish, randyll tarly and I would say instead of aegon that connington is the actual battle commander behind the rebellion. I also don't think Jon is that great of a commander but that is my unpopular opinion. 

2 hours ago, Nissa said:

blackfish, randyll tarly and I would say instead of aegon that connington is the actual battle commander behind the rebellion. I also don't think Jon is that great of a commander but that is my unpopular opinion. 

I agree with your statement on Jon...not that he's all that bad, but he's never proven himself as a leader in a pitched battle; just the defense of the wall.

I would also say that Jaime isn't a great commander; the only time he commanded a force, he got bored with the siege, led small forces against other small groups and got lured into an ambush.  He's a very capable one-on-one fighter but not exactly a great commander. 

Some other unpopular, but capable commanders are Black Walder Frey and Roose Bolton. 

As of now, my choices are:

Stannis, Connington, Roose Bolton, Blackfish, Edmure, Black Walder Frey, Euron.

I'm only giving Euron the low position because while both he and Victarion seem very capable naval commanders, they haven't proven themselves by commanding large land forces.

15 minutes ago, daccu65 said:

I agree with your statement on Jon...not that he's all that bad, but he's never proven himself as a leader in a pitched battle; just the defense of the wall.

I would also say that Jaime isn't a great commander; the only time he commanded a force, he got bored with the siege, led small forces against other small groups and got lured into an ambush.  He's a very capable one-on-one fighter but not exactly a great leader. 

Some other unpopular, but capable commanders are Black Walder Frey and Roose Bolton. 

As of now, my choices are:

Stannis, Connington, Roose Bolton, Blackfish, Edmure, Black Walder Frey, Euron.

I'm only giving Euron the low position because while both he and Victarion seem very capable naval commanders, they haven't proven themselves by commanding large land forces.

Jaime smashed the Riverlords at the Golden Tooth and defeated Edmure outside Riverrun, an army of 15k is not a small force.

6 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

Jaime smashed the Riverlords at the Golden Tooth and defeated Edmure outside Riverrun, an army of 15k is not a small force.

He then got subsequently smashed by Robb because he was lured into an ambush. That does not mean that Jaime is a bad commander just not one of the best still alive.

Best commanders still alive would be Randyll Tarly and Brynden Tully.

17 minutes ago, Winter's Cold said:

He then got subsequently smashed by Robb because he was lured into an ambush. That does not mean that Jaime is a bad commander just not one of the best still alive.

Best commanders still alive would be Randyll Tarly and Brynden Tully.

He nearly killed Robb even though he was outnumbered 3 to 1. What battles has Brynden won? Jaime isn't the best but he's one of them.

6 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

What battles has Brynden won?

Oxcross?  

What do we mean by commander?  Military strategist?  Field generals?  Or leaders of men?  

I think Jaime is a great leader, but I'm not sure how good of a strategist he is.  Or at least was.  Losing his hand has made him less careless, since he can't rely on his skill to cover for bad decisions.

I think Brynden is more of the seasoned veteran who understands how battles are won.  He's respected by his men, but I think he was more comfortable letting Robb handle the leadership duties thus far.

10 minutes ago, kimim said:

Blackfish, Randyll. I edited out Roose, as no sane person would choose to get trapped in a fortress with Manderlys and the Freys at one another's throats.

Manderly brought the food and a lot of men. Freys are many and probably the most loyal of the bunch. How would you have done it differently?

1) you have starving reliable men

2) you have well-fed men of questionable reliability

3) you have well-fed reliable men to check any power plays the questionable men may make

4) you don't go to Winterfell, stay in Barrowtown, and wait

26 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

He nearly killed Robb even though he was outnumbered 3 to 1. What battles has Brynden won? Jaime isn't the best but he's one of them.

He is or was a great warrior no doubt but he still lead his troops into an ambush. That's why he cannot be considered one of the best commanders.

52 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

I stand corrected, I forgot about those...early on.  However, I contend that it was his shortcomings as a commander that cost him the battle of the Whispering Wood and the subsequent Lannister defeat outside Riverrun.

Euron Greyjoy, Randyll Tarly, Brynden Tully

1 hour ago, Lord of Moat Cailin said:

I'm thinking, Brynden Tully, Barristan Selmy, Daenerys Targaryen, Aegon Targaryen, Randyll Tarly, Addam Marbrand and if Jon gets reincarnated, Jon Snow

??? I like Dany, but I don't remember her ever proving herself to be a great battle commander. She's more of a sit-down-and-listen-to-advice kind of character

Jaime made a mistake, a mistake that cost him big but at the time was relatively minor considering the information he had available. 

I wouldn't say it excludes him from being a good commander, most quality commanders in history don't have perfect records and the Golden Company specifically point out Jaime being at Cersei's side as a threat. 

Everything we read of Jaime excluding that incident doesn't paint a picture of an incompetent commander. 

1 minute ago, Trigger Warning said:

Jaime made a mistake, a mistake that cost him big but at the time was relatively minor considering the information he had available. 

I wouldn't say it excludes him from being a good commander, most quality commanders in history don't have perfect records and the Golden Company specifically point out Jaime being at Cersei's side as a threat. 

Everything we read of Jaime excluding that incident doesn't paint a picture of an incompetent commander

Is this thread about "good commanders" or is it the "best commanders" still alive?

Please understand, I do realize that Jaime has a good mind for battle, and is getting better. But he is still not the best, nor one of the best.

22 minutes ago, Nights Kings Queen said:

Euron Greyjoy, Randyll Tarly, Brynden Tully

??? I like Dany, but I don't remember her ever proving herself to be a great battle commander. She's more of a sit-down-and-listen-to-advice kind of character

All of Slavers Bay was her design, she took three immense cities in a very brief time.

Along with Dany; Tyrion, Euron, Griff and Randyll

Archived