Copa America Centenario: because Europe can't have all the fun

Corvinus85

I watched most of the Paraguay/Costa Rica game in the gym, but it was pretty dull.  The downside of tournament play is that most games are reasonably well matched and both sides are most focused on not losing.  Neither team was terrible but they canceled each other out pretty well and lacked the quality to turn half chances into good chances. 

The Brazil game is pretty exciting so far, with skillful possession vs physical counterattacking.  But this looks like a Brazil B team.  I know they're resting Neymar for the Olympics but I thought with the Olympics being u-23 plus a couple of senior players that most of the first team would play here.  Is this really what the Selecao first XI looks like now?  Only Willian, Casemiro, Alves and maybe Coutinho look worthy of the first team. 

The Copa is a snooze fest of chippy, defensive games so far.  Although sometimes the first round of games is like that.  Brazil, and especially their keeper, got out of jail with the fumbled goal disallowed.  Ecuador got more physical in the second half, especially on Coutinho, to significantly reduce the danger from the first half.  But poor tactics by Dunga to push Coutinho so far forward and central where he always had his back to goal and was easier to crowd out.  Brazil are badly short of strikers.  Jonas was completely pointless and aside from him they had several #10 types floating around clogging up the space to no effect.  Despite the yellow card count, Exuador were pretty dirty and had a lot of play-acting.  I won't watch them again.   

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The Brazil game is pretty exciting so far, with skillful possession vs physical counterattacking.  But this looks like a Brazil B team.  I know they're resting Neymar for the Olympics but I thought with the Olympics being u-23 plus a couple of senior players that most of the first team would play here.  Is this really what the Selecao first XI looks like now?  Only Willian, Casemiro, Alves and maybe Coutinho look worthy of the first team. 

This is what Brazil's A team looks like- at least in Dunga's head, because he refuses to call Thiago Silva and Marcelo because they aren't sheep that just say amen to anything he says. There's also a couple injury problems (Miranda and Douglas Costa would be in the first XI if fully fit for sure).

2 hours ago, Super Mario said:

More entertainment in the opening fifteen minutes of Jamaica vs Venezuela than in the three matches yesterday.

Ah, but this Mexico v Uruguay game is finally going to get this tournament started! 

They just played the Chilean anthem not the Uruguayan one. Rather insulting.

27 minutes ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

Ah, but this Mexico v Uruguay game is finally going to get this tournament started! 

Certainly needs it. I enjoyed the Jamaica game, but that shouldn't be the best of the tournament so far.

16 minutes ago, Teng Ai Bellerin said:

A lot of bad luck today for Uruguay's Matias Vecino -- an own goal at minute 5 and a second yellow just before the half.

The own goal was Pereira.  A perfect playing out of the defender's dillemna: do you keep your eyes on the ball and risk losing your mark, or do you keep your eyes on your man and risk losing the ball?

It was a foul, but the referee crowding ensured an undeserved yellow was given.

Godin's been exceptional this half - defended brilliantly, created the best chance and scored the goal.

3 minutes ago, Super Mario said:

It was a foul...

The foul was the Uruguayan's. He knew Guardado was catching up so he planted his inside foot in front of Guardado's and took a tumble when he felt contact. 

1 minute ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

The foul was the Uruguayan's. He knew Guardado was catching up so he planted his inside foot in front of Guardado's and took a tumble when he felt contact. 

It is right on the borderline of initiating contact, at which point it is a dive, and putting yourself in the right position for contact, which is clever yet cynical play. Just about the latter in my opinion.

3-1 Mexico.

Archived