Copa America Centenario: because Europe can't have all the fun

Corvinus85

We're 5th!!!! /O/

Ok, comments:

Turns out Guerrero asked to be the last to kick. I think he put so much pressure on the guys who didn't score and they fucked up. Sucks. But I'm not mad at Guerrero as I would.

Penalties and not complementary time... mmm... I think that can work in places such as Ecuador or Brazil when you play in broad daylight and it's too hot. Here? I dunno, honestly. I would have wanted to see them play the compl. time.

For what I've read, the tickets to the match sold quite quickly. I know FIFA has tried to make football popular since ever, but maybe this time they can consider to blend Concacaf and Conmebol for WC qualifiers? Considering the big Latino, specially from South-America, community in USA, having the chance to see Argentina or Brazil play at home is something I would highly consider, imo.

Now, I know I said they fucked up, but many people here is very pleased. I am (despite I'm mad and disappointed: this is the first time since two Cups ago we won't be on the podium). This is a B-team* (the new names are around 19-22 and still play locally), Gareca was testing new people and new combinations (now we aren't going to Russia) and I think it worked. It's also important to know this is a relatively new era as the President of the Per. Federation who was sacked is going to jail. This is one of the reasons Gareca didn't call the always-present Pizarro. Gosh, I'm glad he's not there. He doesn't play bad (all the contrary) but FUCK. HIS. EGO.

So, yeah, we're ok. :)

Also, this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClMkjygWQAAzU3q.jpg

*Funny how people couldn't even be mad at Trauco failing the goal bc we don't even know who he is.

Argentina - Venezuela was pretty enjoyable, although pretty dead by the second half. If only the Venezuelan hadn't Panenka'ed the penalty, as they were playing so well at the end of the first half and may have made it competitive with a goal.

Yes, the A-V game was very good and V played very well for most of the game, despite the score line.  Argentina just created more dangerous chances, and was a bit more clinical with most of them.  V was lucky to be only 2-0 down after 30 minutes, but then desperately unlucky not to score before the break: a post, two good saves and a fluffed Panenka, and possibly another penalty not given (there were no replays shown). 

I'm very impressed by how well V plays together: the coordinated pressing, the interplay in possession, the bombing forward in transition -- that's a really well coached team.  The ref was very soft on V though, not giving a penalty to Messi and withholding quite a few yellow cards.  Argentina were well worth their win but V can hold their heads high after a good performance and a great tournament, and just a tinge of what-might-have-been if they had equalized before half time. 

Incredible stuff by Chile.  6-0 now. Mexico has looked shell shocked throughout.  They cannot cope with the press at all, and it looks like they gave up a while ago. Chile's pressing wasn't nearly so effective against Argentina, but sometimes in tournaments is all about peaking at the right time. 

Just now, Immobile Buffon said:

Incredible stuff by Chile.  6-0 now. Mexico has looked shell shocked throughout.  They cannot cope with the press at all, and it looks like they gave up a while ago. Chile's pressing wasn't nearly so effective against Argentina, but sometimes in tournaments is all about peaking at the right time. 

Mexico has been highly overrated for this tournament. Beat Uruguay with the refs help, almost lost to Venezuela, just Jamaica was below them. Now they got what they deserved.

8 minutes ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

Mexico has been highly overrated for this tournament. Beat Uruguay with the refs help, almost lost to Venezuela, just Jamaica was below them. Now they got what they deserved.

That's a bit harsh.  They played a fantastic first half against Uruguay, who admittedly proved to be quite poor, and they had a great end-to-end game against a very capable Venezuela when they could have settled for a draw.  The chopping and changing has hurt them, and Chichirito has been unimpressive, but they were still above median as an entertaining footballing side.  They definitely found their ceiling tonight though. 

7-0 now

Just now, Immobile Buffon said:

That's a bit harsh.  They played a fantastic first half against Uruguay, who admittedly proved to be quite poor, and they had a great end-to-end game against a very capable Venezuela when they could have settled for a draw.  The chopping and changing has hurt them, and Chichirito has been unimpressive, but they were still above median as an entertaining footballing side.  They definitely found their ceiling tonight though. 

I suppose, but really not so different than Brazil at the WC. Sure USA is the host technically, but considering the crowds, Mexico could easily be considered having the advantage of a host nation.

Several of Chile's players seem to routinely play better for country than club, e.g. Vargas, Medel, Jara, possibly others.  And Sanchez and Vidal as the two big stars are just as good for country as club, which is pretty rare.  This Bielsa system really suits them. 

Wow. I did not see that coming at all. Pizzi seemed unable to replicate Bielsa and Sampaoli's system in the groups, and it looked like Mexico had taken over as the side that played as fluently as a club. I was expecting a routine Mexico win.

I'm eager to watch the US take on Argentina tonight.  I hope the US can at least keep it close and not get totally clowned by Messi, Aguero, and the vastly more talented Argentina side.

Can the US keep it within a goal or two? They'll have to catch a lot of breaks.

57 minutes ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

I think Guzan will have to play the best game of his life to keep the score low.

The goal posts will also have to come up big.  And the crossbar will have to be lights out.

:unsure:

Archived