Copa America Centenario: because Europe can't have all the fun

Corvinus85

I know that the EURO 2016 is just around the corner, but this one is starting in a couple of days in the US. So I decided to start a thread for it, just in case anyone is interested. 

I, for one, am excited for this tournament, (at least until the Euro starts:P) mainly because I get to go see a couple of matches in Chicago. I hope it will produce enough excitement in the Americas. We'll see.

35 minutes ago, Super Mario said:

The Copa America has put out a press release saying that penalties will take place after 90 minutes of any drawn group stage match. I cannot say I approve.

this is a joke right? it has to be

OK, this is what I've found these last minute rule changes:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/06/03/rival-officials-brawl-at-nigeria-soccer-federation-headquarters/

A fourth sub will be awarded to each team during extra time — Again, this can only occur in the final, but it’s been a long time coming. Six totally spent outfield players are better to watch than seven.

No automatic red card for the denial of a goalscoring opportunity (DOGSO) —The act of committing “DOGSO” will presumably be punished with a yellow card, and penalty kick when warranted.

Arms and hands will not be considered offside — If you can’t score a goal with a particular part of your body, you shouldn’t be ruled offside if that particular part of your body is in an offside position.

Yellow cards for goalkeepers who come off their line early during a penalty kick — Another “why hasn’t this happened sooner?”

Edit: the only matches that the rule about PKs right after 90 min are the quarter and semifinals. And I have no problem with that, winning teams will be less tired in the next round.

Not a good start for the Americans, allowing a goal from a corner in the 8th minute.  The Columbian goalscorer easily lost the defender, Geoff Cameron, marking him.

Guzan wasn't really at fault here, but personally I'd rather have someone else starting in goal.  Tim Howard is also out of form lately.  How has Nick Rimando been playing recently?

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

OK, this is what I've found these last minute rule changes:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/06/03/rival-officials-brawl-at-nigeria-soccer-federation-headquarters/

Edit: the only matches that the rule about PKs right after 90 min are the quarter and semifinals. And I have no problem with that, winning teams will be less tired in the next round.

Thankfully it turns out to be an error in the press release.

Very harsh decision against USA for the penalty. I hate handballs given when the player has done everything to get himself out of the way.

1 minute ago, Super Mario said:

Thankfully it turns out to be an error in the press release.

Very harsh decision against USA for the penalty. I hate handballs given when the player has done everything to get himself out of the way.

Yes, everything, except not raise his hand like an idiot. If at least he had covered his face with it, I would have understood.

I didn't expect USA to win, but I didn't expect them to look this bad. Except for a 5 minutes stretch near the hour mark, they were never a real threat to score a goal.  I'm nervous that they won't advance from their group.

10 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I partially blame MLS for their lack of success too. But I can't see him being around for the next World Cup.  

Oh that's definitely a reason but even if the quality of their opponents is low, I'd expect Klinsmann to put players in their best positions and give them a chance to shine. Instead, they seem shoehorned in there and it's pretty clear that it's not working. Has been clear for years now with limited to no progress.

11 hours ago, Teng Ai Bellerin said:

I didn't expect USA to win, but I didn't expect them to look this bad. Except for a 5 minutes stretch near the hour mark, they were never a real threat to score a goal.  I'm nervous that they won't advance from their group.

Yeah exactly wasn't expecting a win but that was piss poor (especially Bradley, fuck how many turnovers did he have?). Colombia wasn't even close to being at their best and still comfortably won the game. Cuadrado was awesome though, he seems to always show up internationally. 

I thought Dempsey looked out of place in that front three. He also pushed Wood out wide, when he is most effective playing through the middle. That was the first time I've seen Zardes play and there doesn't seem much to his game from that performance. The narrow pitch didn't help as it limited the space for Fabian Johnson to get forward into and Bradley was very poor. Just when the USA were finally getting some momentum at around the hour mark, the substitutions killed it, as Nagbe and Pulisic took a while to settle in. Once they had, the team looked the best all game but it was too late to do anything about the result.

The Colombians weren't great, but did enough for a comfortable win. James Rodriguez and Bacca with quiet games, but Cuadrado and Edwin Cardona were there to take on the responsibility

Archived