Dany's scene was good but...

jbob

should've just been merged with 6x04 Book of Stranger ending. Kind of redundant by itself.  They could've had the Khals decide to execute her publicly at some special spot and this episode we see them riding as it is, and then she escapes with the help of Jorah and Daario somehow, maybe using fire to keep the Khals away for awhile, and Dany comes back with Drogon and burns the Khals and gives that speech. Or, Drogon burns the entire building with Dany inside and she comes out and gives that speech,

They probably just wanted to have her be in more episodes.

2 minutes ago, CockroachCaptain said:

Not using Drogon at Dosh Khaleen was an important choice to show she's not powerless without her dragons.

This is the key. They needed to see Dany as powerful, not that she relies on Jorah and Darrio to escape or Drogon to kill her enemies. They follow strength and her killing all the Khals by herself was powerful.

As to the speech from dragon back, well, that was the first time these people have seen a dragon and to see their new Khaleesi riding this dragon was hugely important. Her naming everyone her blood rider, ehh, whatever.

1 hour ago, CockroachCaptain said:

Not using Drogon at Dosh Khaleen was an important choice to show she's not powerless without her dragons.

The speech itself was fine, though her voice sounded a bit flat and the Dothraki in front of her were a pretty sad-looking bunch.

This. I think the problem was ending the episode with that. Felt very deja vu. Should've ended with Arya blowing out the candle, far more suspenseful. 

I expected another damsel in distress moment but D&D did a good job. Daeny needed to prove that she's powerful if she means to take Dothraki. They only follow strength so this choice was nice. Also proved for everyone that she's Unburnt and demonstrate it this way. 

I would save this speech for later on. Dothraki follows her and her connection to Drogon is all very clear. Although, until ep. 9 or 10 it would be to much for some fans to wait for dragons. But correct me if I'm wrong... but she basically said give me 7 Kingdoms and rape all you want? 

for me, probably the best moment is when Euron come with his 1000 ships and before sailing to Westeros she give that speech, the problem of the scene is it came from nowhere, and the performance of Ms Clarke made it worse

10 hours ago, jbob said:

They probably just wanted to have her be in more episodes.

^ also that

I agree with the OP. I liked the scene, I pretty much like any scene where Dany shows her power, but I would have rather this episode ended with Arya. And I would have much rather seen Drogon after she burned the khals. She could have burned the khals on her own (showing her individual strength) and then had Drogon come afterward and gave her speech. It just seemed a little random to tack this onto to the end of this episode.

On a side note, I understand the argument that Dany needed to show that she has her own individual strength and I agree in the sense that I didn't want Jorah and Daario to just ride in and save her BUT this girl has DRAGONS. How much more individual power do you need show when you can ride and a big ass fire breathing dragon especially when at this point you are the only one who can do it. I don't think there is a single story of Aegon the Conqueror showing his individual strength (even though he has a legendary sword) because he had dragons. That's all that was necessary. Having the dragons is all the individual power she needs to show imo.

Though I liked the scene well enough (and Clarke is always a much better actress when she's shouting in Dothraki), I thought the whole thing a bit pointless. The Khalasar was already hers after the burning. And she doesn't have ships to get them to Westeros, so what was the point of the pep talk? They're all psyched up with no outlet. Even if it was to use express her power and to show them her dragons - why now? Did she just take the opportunity because Drogon turned up? It seemed so forced, as though it was just a way for the episode to end of a powerful note.

The re-introduction of Drogon was nice, although it was sort of spoiled for us in the trailers. But that speech, ugggh...c'mon Dany, these bloodriders know exactly why they are following you through the desert. Sure, the dragon makes for a nice effect, but they are all aware that they are on some very special mission with a very special leader...they don't need a rousing speech every damn day to remind them of this.

And ending the episode with Arya blowing out the candle would have been awesome.

21 hours ago, Maxxine said:

I agree with the OP. I liked the scene, I pretty much like any scene where Dany shows her power, but I would have rather this episode ended with Arya. And I would have much rather seen Drogon after she burned the khals. She could have burned the khals on her own (showing her individual strength) and then had Drogon come afterward and gave her speech. It just seemed a little random to tack this onto to the end of this episode.

Yeah having Drogon land on the burning rubble, have Dany mount him naked and give that same speech would have been a drop the mic moment instead of her just standing there to be stared at, then randomly giving the speech while marching.

Yeah it was out of nowhere. They should have made her tame her dragon before them as the epic scene instead of the unburnt rehash. That would have made her really earn their respect without any doubts about magic. They could have used the time to give her bit of character development. Now they are jumping from one epic scene to another. As for Clarke she is very good in that scene. The lines were a bit cheesy but I liked this speech more than some of her speeches before. 

Why do people need "individual power"?

Wtf? People just dig Dany showing her "fire nation' skills. So D&D pump in a lot of that.

For me, Dany's ability to summon drogon at will and fully control him is all that is required.

Waaaaay better than a stupid scene inside a hut "I just murdered your kings. Kneel" wtf

And

A speech in the middle of nowhere. "Assemble here while I bring my dragon. My speech will begin in a moment"..

I would have loved drogon burn the hut and land. Then Dany slowly walks out and gives her speech abouthow the previous khals were unfit. the cocky remaining men woulddefinetly kneel to this powerful creature and the unburnt woman....

But noooo. Fuck logic. "Oh you are fire proof.. Ive had enough. Lets bow"

She shold have then rmounted drogon, not flee.

It is indeed getting redundant because Dany has been stuck in neutral doing the same thing over and over.  And this speech was cool as was the dosh khaleen burning but they aren't better than her Astapor scene when she claimed the Unsullied. It's like they keep trying to recapture that moment. Anyway, I just think we're all just ready for her to set foot in Westeros. 

Also the two events are logically separate:

1, At first she gets the support of the dothraki.

2, Second we saw that she identifies herself with the dothraki. She is not some nice westerosi princess who enjoys emboirdery and lemon cakes; she is not using the dothraki as "tools" but she identifies herself as the great "khaleesi": the leader of the khalasars. Note that she adressed westerosi as her enemies and asked her khalasar to kill them and tear down tehir houses. I think this scene also foreshadows that her arrival into Westeros will be a conquest (Dario explicitly spells this out, and IMO a rather brutal conquest) and not some kind of sweet homecoming.

Archived