Euro Cup 2016

As a soccer noob, I'm a little confused. Is the Euro Cup a mini World Cup? Is it considered a bigger competition than Copa America? And more importantly, why are there so many freaking leagues and interchanging tournaments? In a sense it's really cool, but it's also confusing if you don't understand what you're trying to follow.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As a soccer noob, I'm a little confused. Is the Euro Cup a mini World Cup? Is it considered a bigger competition than Copa America? And more importantly, why are there so many freaking leagues and interchanging tournaments? In a sense it's really cool, but it's also confusing if you don't understand what you're trying to follow.

The Euro Cup/Championship is like the World Cup but only with European national teams. The Copa America is a similar tournament traditionally held in a country in South America, that involves all the South American nationals teams, and some guest teams from North America.

This year, there is a special Copa America organized in the USA, with 16 teams from both continents, to celebrate the one hundred year anniversary of the tournament. The actual Copa America took place last year in Chile.

As to which competition is bigger depends on where you live. ;) But maybe the Euro takes the cake just because starting with this one they increased the field to 24 teams. Also, on average, Europe has a greater number of teams that do well in the World Cup.

European championships!! Psshh euro cup indeed.

I'm heading to France in a couple of weeks for it and can't wait, shall be drinking nice plonk to wash down some le big macs coz i'm classy as fuck

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

OK, I have not followed the EPL, but seeing only one player from the champs selected for the English squad is a bit puzzling to me. Has Leicester City followed the Man City model of relying heavily on foreign players? And I see a bunch of Everton and Liverpool players, but those teams didn't do so great this year.

Yeah they have a lot of foreign players

Goalie is Danish, right back is English but not great, left back is Austrian, centre halves are Jamaican and German. Centre mids are French and English. Wingers are Algerian and a not so great English. Forwards are English and Japanese.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I love this post. 

Something about calling it the 'euro cup' feels odd, but I'm not sure what. 

7 hours ago, lacuna said:

Since 2008 (I think), for each world and euro cup, board members have entered a draw where you get assigned a national team. For the duration of the competition, you have to be as enthusiastically patriotic to your assigned team as possible. Not compulsory, but good fun.

I'm in, BTW.

Ok, sounds fun. I'm in for the Europameisterschaft, but I probably won't follow the weird copa-america-thing.

Thanks Corvinus. At the start of this season I only knew of the World Cup and the North American tournament that I still am not 100% sure what it's called (and will not be bothered to look it up). I am slowly progressing, but am at the end of day, rather lazy.

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Thanks Corvinus. At the start of this season I only knew of the World Cup and the North American tournament that I still am not 100% sure what it's called (and will not be bothered to look it up). I am slowly progressing, but am at the end of day, rather lazy.

Check in at the regular football forum that we have in here if you're keen to pick things up, we're pretty nice ( most of the time) 

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Each national association has their own league and a cup (some, like England have two cups).

There are also international European competitions:

• Champions League which is where top teams play. It has a rather complicated qualification system with some teams qualifying straight from their national leagues, others starting from first, second or third (is there a fourth?) qualifying round, based on results in previous seasons. This is where top dogs compete - Real, Barca, Bayern etc.
  • Europa League is second-tier competition, but it does feature some pretty good teams especially after third place teams are added from Champions League after the group stage. There are some very entertaining matches here, since teams often go for a bit more attacking approach compared to Champions League where the stakes are higher.
  • European Supercup which is one match between Champions League and Europa League winners

Continental champions get to play in Club World Cup, which takes place over a week or two.

As far as other continents are concerned, I'll leave it to people who follow those competitions more closely than I do.

The important thing is that every team taking part these international competitions also takes part in national competitions that run in parallel.

I'm probably in.

Pretty excited for this.  This is the first year I've really followed football, and I think its actually become my favorite sport, which is something I never expected.

Also, anybody want to do a fantasy league?  The UEFA site is running one, and it looks to be pretty similar to what we used during the World Cup a couple of years ago.  I had a lot of fun with that, and would be up for playing again.

20 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I am in and I will football everyone back to the Stone Age and win this mother.

I want to be on this guy's team. ..

So uh, is anyone setting this up? I think our nation randomizer is currently occupied elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I'm probably in.

Pretty excited for this.  This is the first year I've really followed football, and I think its actually become my favorite sport, which is something I never expected.

Also, anybody want to do a fantasy league?  The UEFA site is running one, and it looks to be pretty similar to what we used during the World Cup a couple of years ago.  I had a lot of fun with that, and would be up for playing again.

I'd be up for that.

Archived