'Soldado' (Sicario sequel): Gomorra’s Stefano Sollima will direct

AncalagonTheBlack

Couldn't find a Sicario thread via search (we had one,right ?)

‘Gomorra’s Stefano Sollima To Helm Benicio Del Toro & Josh Brolin In ‘Sicario’ Sequel ‘Soldado’

EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate and Black Label Media are getting closer to a production start on Soldado, the second installment of the drug war thriller that began with 2015’s Sicario. I’m told that Stefano Sollima is the front-runner to direct the second installment and should have the job shortly, with talks expected to wrap up quickly. Denis Villenueve directed the first film. Sollima is the Italian director who has made a number of memorably gritty crime thrillers but is best known for directing the Italian miniseries Gomorra and the features Suburra and A.C.A.B. (All Cops Are Bastards). Soldado was scripted by Taylor Sheridan.

The sequel focuses on Alejandro Gillick, the shadowy Man on Fire-like protagonist played by Benicio Del Toro, and Josh Brolin’s CIA agent Matt Graver, who in the first film established themselves as hellbent on hunting down cartel kingpins, no matter what. The script by Sheridan — who wrote the original — has been very well received. Gone is the principled FBI agent character played by Emily Blunt. The subject matter is very topical, as Gillick and Graver concern themselves with what is being smuggled across the border between Mexico and the U.S. in the tunnels used to move drugs and illegal immigrants. Those tunnels also can be used to bring terrorists into the U.S.

Interesting. Has there ever been a sequel where the main character was not featured?

I actually thought a sequel to this movie could have amended the main flaw I had with Sicario -- namely Emily Blunt's lack of character growth. If this was the second chapter in her story such that she becomes a 'wolf' or at least something else, then I could see this working. Not sure how they could have roped her back in with Brolin and Del Toro but it was a thought.

3 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Interesting. Has there ever been a sequel where the main character was not featured?

I actually thought a sequel to this movie could have amended the main flaw I had with Sicario -- namely Emily Blunt's lack of character growth. If this was the second chapter in her story such that she becomes a 'wolf' or at least something else, then I could see this working. Not sure how they could have roped her back in with Brolin and Del Toro but it was a thought.

I think for it to work she'd have to be opposed to Del Toro and Brolin's characters. Not sure she could out wolf either of those bastards.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I think for it to work she'd have to be opposed to Del Toro and Brolin's characters. Not sure she could out wolf either of those bastards.

Yeah, probably best to discard her character because it would take some plot tricks to continue with her in their world.

Watch the 'Soldier' be someone other than Del Toro who doesn't get the spotlight until the 3rd act of the movie...

20 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah, probably best to discard her character because it would take some plot tricks to continue with her in their world.

Watch the 'Soldier' be someone other than Del Toro who doesn't get the spotlight until the 3rd act of the movie...

She could pop up easily enough as say a witness in some sort of trial or hearing. That could be kind of cool. 

19 hours ago, WarGalley said:

There have been a few such sequels like Speed, Predator but I can't think of any good ones off the top of my head. That said, Blunt's character didn't exactly bring much to the table in Sicario, she acted as the eyes for the audience exploring this world she knew very little about so I I think a sequel will do fine without her as long as it's a good story.

The bigger pity is Villenueve's absence, his direction made Sicario what it was. Sollima is an interesting replacement and if Gomorrah is anything to go by it could be excellent.

Ah, yet another sequel we don't need, to a movie that certainly did not deserve one :thumbsdown: You'll never change Hollywood :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

not like she'd ever want to work with Aejandro/Brolin ever again.  

This sounds like you got some nice gossip about what happened on set, please do share :D 

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Ah, yet another sequel we don't need, to a movie that certainly did not deserve one :thumbsdown: You'll never change Hollywood :rolleyes:

This sounds like you got some nice gossip about what happened on set, please do share :D 

You and I don't agree a whole lot, so I am going to try and say something that is contrarian...

Come on man, sometimes you need a good nap in a movie theater. This movie would be perfect for that. 

2 hours ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

You and I don't agree a whole lot, so I am going to try and say something that is contrarian...

Come on man, sometimes you need a good nap in a movie theater. This movie would be perfect for that. 

Probably true, I'll give you that :P :cheers:

7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Sorry I just didn't remember Brolins characters name. I was referring to the character.

There is but one fitting reply to express my disappointment :P 

Note: scratch Anakin and replace it with your own name :P 

On 5-6-2016 at 1:28 PM, Friendly Neighborhood said:

Hey there have been worse things in this world *TMNT sequel*

Courtesy, 

Your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman !

How about the Holocaust?

Courtesy,

Your friendly neighbourhood Veltigar ! :P 

• 3 months later...

I see "the terrible taste in films brigade" infested this thread as well ;)

Just watched Sicario. Stunned by how good this film was. A very tense affair and very atmospheric. I love how they built up Juarez, and Del Toro's character in particular was excellent.

I honestly don't have any complaints with it and hearing that a sequel might come out is superb news.

I'm not normally that crazy about drug war movies but this was something else. The excellent actors had a lot to do with it but it felt tight and very easy to immerse yourself in. One of the best movies I've seen the last two years in the thriller category. What an ending as well.

Archived