Could Quaithe be the "Shadowy Woman" from Aeron's vision?

I know it sound like tinfoil crackpottery, and I still haven't fully fleshed this out, but hear me out.

Beside him stood a shadow in woman’s form, long and tall and terrible, her hands alive with pale white fire.

We all know that Quaithe is a Shadowbinder, like Melisandre. We haven't seen here face, which she keeps hidden by her wooden mask. The woman in the vision is described as "a shadow in woman's form", which only serves to not give us a true description of her appearance. Yet it IS a shadow which is casting a light, just not the red flames we've come to attribute to Melisandre and followers of R'hllor. But to bind a shadow, one must first have a source of light to cast it. Also, the Glass Candles are referred to as having pale flames, and we know Quaithe has one, as we learn when she delivers the following message:

"The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."

We all know the deal with this quote. Quaithe appears to Dany by way of the Glass Candle, in order to give advice and warn her of threats. We know the Kraken and Dark Flame to be Victarion and Moqorro. The Lion is Tyrion Lannister, and the Griffin is John Connington. The Sun's Son is Quentyn Martell and the Mummer's Dragon is (f)Aegon. These are all individuals who would seek to ally or serve Daenerys, and Quaithe is telling her to trust none of them. She then tells her to remember The Undying, also known as the Warlocks of Qarth, Pyatt Pree and company. Lastly, she is warned of the Perfumed Seneschal, who could be Reznak/Varys/A boat that bore Jorah, Tyrion, and Moqorro/Garth Tyrell.

Now Quaithe speaks of a great number of people, and labels them all a threat. Except for one, major character. Euron Crow's Eye. He has plans to marry Daenerys, or enslave her dragon's using the Dragonbinder horn. We've learned he has a suit of Valyrian Steel armor, which, knowing Valyrian magic and it's predilection for fire manipulation, is likely impervious to dragon flame. A man who has walked the lands of ruined Valyria, seen the Doom, and walked away alive. One who fancies himself both King and God.

And let's not forget, not only did Euron enslave several Warlocks of Qarth, including Dany's enemy Pree, but he also lashed them to the bow of several of his ships. A man without fear, "conqueror" of her past foes, who can't be burned, and is opposed by two of the people that Quaithe warned her about (Victarion and Moqorro). She'd be more likely to trust him, especially if he puts on an act (see Falia Flowers).

Now, what is Quaithe's endgame? No clue. But Euron is often connected to Darkness in visions, and maybe, just maybe, Shadowbinders fall into two categories: Those who follow the Light that makes Shadows, and those who follow the Shadows, The Darkness, itself.

In the world of Ice and Fire, when you look into a person's eyes, you will, in time, come to see the darkness within them. And none are darker than Euron Crow's Eye.

3 hours ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

Do we know? How? Kraken could also refer to Euron or to both Euron and Victarion. The plural of kraken is kraken...

Kraken and Dark Flame are paired together, as are Victarion and Moqorro. Sure, Victarion is a Kraken, but only one Greyjoy is connected to a Red Priest, one clad in black and called the "Black Flame" by those around him. You can argue that it still could be Euron, and I'll give you that, but the Kraken, Dark Flame, Lion, Sun's Son, and (likely) The Perfumed Seneschal have all arrived at Meereen, and Quaithe's warning said that these threats would arrive shortly after The Pale Mare hits Mereen. Euron is still in the Shield Isles of The Reach, so he is quite a ways away from Meereen. Sure, the Griffin and the Mummer's Dragon aren't close either, but we know that Daenerys will be hearing of it soon, and may even receive emissaries.

I tend not to see the shadowed woman as a literal woman. I think she is a representation of the power of The Shadow (as in Asshai by the shadow), which Euron has bound to him even as R'hllor appears as one of the sacrificed gods on the blades of the Iron Throne. He is denying the existence of these gods but grabbing up the magical power they represent. Similarly, he, himself, appears as a kraken representing the magic behind the Drowned God religion, but the Drowned God appears as one of the sacrificed gods.

On 6/2/2016 at 3:34 PM, Strongest Of All Belwas said:

We've learned he has a suit of Valyrian Steel armor, which, knowing Valyrian magic and it's predilection for fire manipulation, is likely impervious to dragon flame.

Nope. Where did you get this?

Yah this fire resistant VS armor is a new thing to me, too--I just thought it was the armor Jon wears in his dream.   I thought it was just the septons, Aeron and the red priest who were tied to the prows of the boats.   I must have missed the part about the warlocks in that party.  That said, I like this idea the shadow lady could be Quaithe.   Sort of shines a new light on her as a possible creature of Euron's.  And Quaithe has warned Dany off of absolutely everyone who could help her.  Interesting take on the shadow lady.   I've tried to pull Aeron's visions apart with the little bits that we suspect from Dany's visions and pretty much everyone's dreams.    We know that Quaithe visits Dany in her dreams and appeared to Dany very near the time she had her hallucinogenic trip in the House of the Undying.   Did the experiences at Qarth open Dany to become receptive to Quaithe?   Maybe.  Point is I never thought Quaithe was out to help Dany.   Back to the vision...this imagery is rich and frightening.    This shadow lady is placed beside Euron.   That indicates complicity with Euron.   Then there are those pesky dwarves again, and I see no reason they wouldn't continue to represent the men and women vying for power over and throughout Westeros.   Glad to hear it if you think they're something else.   Then, because the vision is so new and we haven't had 5 years to pick it apart I'm sort of associating the impaled gods with characters Euron will destroy, like the Drowned God represents Aeron.   But that's just my 1st reactions to a very disturbing chapter.   Euron's obviously been collecting magic along with all the other curios.   It's actually nice to see someone values Dany as a magical being--let's hope Marwyn has better intentions toward her.      

On 6/7/2016 at 3:54 PM, Dorian Martell said:

did he? I do not remember any mention of any armor

Google Euron Valyrian armor.  It was in one of the released chapters, you will see a lot of topics about it. 

43 minutes ago, Dorian Martell said:

Holy crap. I just read the rundown of the chapter reading 

Yeah he has a set, you remember what happened to Ice right? Not to mention it would need to be air tight. Probably gets offed by his own people.

9 hours ago, Ser Creighton said:

Yeah he has a set, you remember what happened to Ice right? Not to mention it would need to be air tight. Probably gets offed by his own people.

I cant imagine it being a moon suit. It seems that  if he was covered in wildfire and lit up he would roast 

I just came to the same thought that this woman could be Quaithe after the discussion Elio and Linda posted on YouTube. They kept stretching the matter out without saying who they thought this woman is, and when they said "shadow in woman's form" who is "not present but still beside Euron" (paraphrasing), Quaithe and her glass candles popped in my head. Their speculation about it being the "Other Queen" of the 13th Lord Commander is pretty lame IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh I think this is the most plausible way for Quaithe to be a semi-important character without ruining her character with something like "SHE WAS SHIERA THIS WHOLE TIME FOLKS".

I mean we are being teased with her sudden and out-of-moment appearances but there is really no link between her and other characters, her whole character can be summarized as an "ENIGMA". I want to find out who she is and what she wants and her being Euron's twisted magic queen wife sounds good and somehow logical. 

I strongly believe, based on the description, that it is Cersei Lannister. Her burning hands represent her burning Kings Landing down. It's meant symbolically. It's like writing "bloody hands", which is symbolically for someone who is a murderer. It shouldn't be taken literally, as the prophecys in the books are allways symbolic. It won't be a women who's hands are literally burning. 

Now why do I believe that Cersei will blow up Kings Landing (in the books): Because Jamie once stopped one mad King to do so, and became Kingslayer. Now he will have to kill the queen who does that, thus becomming the Queenslayer and the valonquar. 

11 hours ago, T and A said:

I strongly believe, based on the description, that it is Cersei Lannister. Her burning hands represent her burning Kings Landing down. It's meant symbolically. It's like writing "bloody hands", which is symbolically for someone who is a murderer. It shouldn't be taken literally, as the prophecys in the books are allways symbolic. It won't be a women who's hands are literally burning. 

Now why do I believe that Cersei will blow up Kings Landing (in the books): Because Jamie once stopped one mad King to do so, and became Kingslayer. Now he will have to kill the queen who does that, thus becomming the Queenslayer and the valonquar. 

Show spoilers:

Spoiler

So, I had the same thought about Cersei during the finale, especially in that bad-ass black dragon-scale looking dress. But while we are indulging in the exercise of show as foreshadowing. Mel is now heading south. So, will she decide Euron is Azor Ahai? Before, I didn't think there was a good way for her plot to cross Euron's, but if Jon does exile her in the books . . . . But back to Cersei, the imagery is pretty distinct in that it is a shadow which has a R'hllor association, which doesn't connect with Cersei, and then the pale flames specifically reference the pale flamed swords in Daenerys' miscarriage-fever dream. So unless we go with an outside theory like A + J = C + J, this seems like it wouldn't reference Cesrei. Then again, Jaime did have the weirwood stump dream with a flaming sword, so you know how it is. Everyone is apparently a secret Targ. What I do like about the idea of it being Cersei is that it allows for Euron to sit the throne and Daenerys to still come and be the younger more beautiful queen that casts her down. Otherwise we have to imagine Deanery taking the Iron Throne and Euron taking it afterwards.

Question, probably a dumb one, but why should Quaithe have to be a woman?  Her face is not shown right?  This is just a theory for discussion sake, but could it be Bloodraven? (Wooden mask, bloodraven is almost a tree himself.) He is described as White Dragon with red eyes breathing red flame on a black field.  We know from the books that he was searching for her. He wants to help her. He is an albino. He resides in a land of shadows and there is something sinister about him. I'm sure it's a stretch, but GRRM does like misdirection, and this might fit that mold.

Archived