Why do so many people disregard fAegon in their theories ?

Lord Estermont

On 2016-06-04 at 9:51 AM, bent branch said:

There are several things that are commonly believed in the fandom that causes them to dismiss Aegon.

1)  Aegon entered the story too late to have any impact.

2)  Aegon is fake and his only purpose is to die at Dany's hand.

3)  Aegon is only in the story because GRRM has lost control of his story and Aegon is just filler.

I think there is a purpose for Aegon, but I am among the few.

1) He will have impact

2) I don't think it is so easy

3) wrongwrongwrongwrongwrong :D

On 6/4/2016 at 8:01 PM, Daendrew said:

George was almost a grandmaster and in chess even the lowiest of pawns can become a queen in eight steps.

5 steps, 6 at most.

On 6/8/2016 at 1:04 PM, lojzelote said:

Besides the obvious (you can hate the show or pretend it doesn't exist all you want, but they would never leave out the character who's the final king on the Iron Throne) 

Referencing who the show includes or leaves out is a weak argument.  I mean, they wouldn't leave out a dragon-stealing prince of Dorne, a Queen of the North who was the undoing of her king, etc., right?

Plus, I don't know that the "final king on the Iron Throne" is what matters in this story.  I'd be totally content if it was some out of left field new player that shows up in the final book, if all of the preceding books paved the way for it.  We shouldn't assume that winning the Iron Throne or being TPTWP is some final end goal for one of our initial main characters to reach.  We don't know how the story ends, so we don't know what the narrative arc "should" look like.

On 6/9/2016 at 8:38 AM, Sabhayata said:

Most people disregard Aegon because he has come into the story too late? Too late for what is my question? He isn't too late in the story. He has already started his campaign for invading Westroes

Right, he's already at least one book ahead of Dany as far as involving himself in the primary storyline (whatever that may be, it clearly involves Westeros, an area Dany has had almost no impact on thus far).

On 6/30/2016 at 8:43 AM, Greg B said:

I want the dramatic questions that kicked off the story to be answered by the protagonists who have (presumably) been making meaningful choices and taking meaningful actions that answer those questions and resolve the story's conflicts from the beginning. Starting with a cast of thousands is fine, but I want a structure that narrows the field, gains focus and narrative momentum, as the story is driven by its own internal logic from the beginning, to the middle, to the end. Martin has done the opposite in the last couple books (or one huge partial book, depending on your view). He's expanded the field, lost focus and narrative momentum, so the story bogs down while events grind on and on. (f)Aegon is definitely a symptom of this structural failure.

I don't really agree with this.  I, personally, view the first 3 books as a conflict between Stark and Lannister, as well as introducing the greater threat to the realm.  Then we have books 4/5 which essentially set up a new story involving additional characters and conflicts, which I'm guessing will be resolved in the next couple books.  In the end, what I'm assuming we'll see is a series with an underlying main conflict that runs throughout all the books, but with smaller narratives contained within a few of the books.  Almost like a TV show- there might be a "main plot" to the overall show, but there are also season-long and even multi-season plot arcs that broaden the cast and grow the story, all feeding in to the primary story.

Also, you mention "driven by its own internal logic" but also want it narrowing the field and gaining focus.  That'd never be logical- there should always be new players, outside forces, etc. in play.  Whenever I read a "chosen-one" type story, where there are one, or a few, groups of heroes that drive the entire story it immediately loses any sense of logic, internal or otherwise.

I find it very hard to believe that Aegon survived the slaughter

a-    Elia had no reason to worry. She was a defenceless woman, a mother and more important a Martell. Since the beginning of time, members of the top families were treated with kiddy gloves. Rebel houses were allowed to retain their power over their lands in exchange of them bending the knee.  Tywin wouldn’t dare killing a Martell in Robert’s behalf
b-    Elia would, most probably, have guards at the door. There’s no way Varys would enter in the queen’s chambers without her consent. 
c-    Assuming Elia believed Varys to let him in and take her child, then surely she would have asked him to take Rhaenys as well.  The Eunuch not be able to take the boy without taking his sister as well.

On 6/4/2016 at 2:49 PM, Flying Cat said:

People focus on the "mummers Dragon" part, calling him fake, but forget the other part that was there in the vision too: The cheering crowd.

Because Aegon will be cheered once he gains the crow. And this is the drama of Dany too. Certainly all hidden Targaryens loyalists have heard of her and are maybe waiting for her and her dragons, but out of sudden Rhaegar's heir shows up and he will steal away from Dany all loyalists and all popular support she had once hoped for. When she turns west, she will found out she is not welcome and she will be devastated. Once she turns north to defeat the Others, things may change.

The cheering crowd also suggest that the Lannister's regime is not at the end as yet. Cersei will need to do few more despicable things so the people will gladly open the doors to some stranger.

Archived