When Did You Start Re-Reading?

So,

I'm on my first read of the series. I'm now on the combo of Feast and Dance outlined on Boiled Leather. I have 5 Feast chapters to go, and, I think, 34 Dance chapters. I try to read two or three chapters a night. Going by that schedule, I should be done by the end of this month.

I was just wondering if most of you started re-reading as soon as you finished the series, or did you take a break from the books for a while. I think I'm going to start re-reading as soon as I get through my first read, while events are still fresh in my mind. I want to read the Dunk & Egg stories, as well. Someone posted to fit them in between SOS, and Feast and Dance.

My hat is off to those of you who have been with this series since it was released. I'm hoping that Winds of Winter will be released this year. If not, then I'm afraid I'll have some more dust gatherers on my book shelf. Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just started re-reading about a week ago, its been about 3 years since I finished them.  After I finished the series I went on to the stories of dunk and egg (which in reply to the commenter above, yes the books set about  think 80-90 years before the events of game of thrones).  Those were fun books and a short read.

I've tried re-reading about three times now (having finished about a year ago), and I'm pretty sure this time it's gonna stick. Frankly, I'm not even a quarter of a way through AGoT and there's already more things that I missed the first time around. (I also have hard copies of the first two books so I can actually go back and takes notes as I go along)

The last time I read the series was leading up to the release of ADWD.  Since that time I have only watched the show, a number of times through.  I recently started the audiobooks.  They are un abridged and the voice acting is great.   It's great to be back in the Westeros that I love.  The show is great, but it's the books that are my true love.

On 6/4/2016 at 10:05 PM, Lady Lark of the NorthWood said:

So,

I'm on my first read of the series. I'm now on the combo of Feast and Dance outlined on Boiled Leather. I have 5 Feast chapters to go, and, I think, 34 Dance chapters. I try to read two or three chapters a night. Going by that schedule, I should be done by the end of this month.

I was just wondering if most of you started re-reading as soon as you finished the series, or did you take a break from the books for a while. I think I'm going to start re-reading as soon as I get through my first read, while events are still fresh in my mind. I want to read the Dunk & Egg stories, as well. Someone posted to fit them in between SOS, and Feast and Dance.

My hat is off to those of you who have been with this series since it was released. I'm hoping that Winds of Winter will be released this year. If not, then I'm afraid I'll have some more dust gatherers on my book shelf. Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with.

YAY! Congrats on that. I never really took a break from the stories as a whole. I went from book to book with whatever was out at the time, be it main five books or D&E novellas. The D&E stories are some of my favorite for obvious reasons everyone has, but for me personally it is because we "first" hear and see Bloodraven on page :wub:

Over the years I have also purchased all the books, the novellas and the World book from Audible and I listen to them on my computer or in the car all the damned time! I let me now 13 year old son listen to them with me and he loves them- all the books. I listen to the main five books and then the novellas and then the World book in pretty much a continuous loop (and other stories too).

A quick note about the D&E stories, chronologically they take place about 93ish years before anything in the main five books happens, so they don't blend in like the boiled leather reading list does. I'm not sure if that is what you meant with your comment? Just wanted to help :cheers:

On 6/21/2016 at 2:28 PM, Garse Ironjade Janacek said:

I re-read them after season 5.  Well, I actually travel a lot so I did audio books the second time around.  Roy Doltrice is a very good reader, BTW.

I have moved on to some other GRRM science fiction stuff from his early days.  I find it to be very good as well. 

Roy Dotrice can read a spaghetti box and I would be enthralled. I love his narration. Even when Arya sounds a little bit leprechaunish.

I agree about GRRM's earlier work. There are so many of his short stories that are nothing like ASOIAF that I love just as much as the big stories. My son and I have listened to Pear Shaped Man a few times and always get creeped out. :cheers:

I originally started reading the books soon after finishing the first season of the TV show. That was spring 2012, just before the second season aired. I was done with all five of them by the summer and I think I started my first re-read several months later. Since then, I've been rereading each passing year, doing it slightly differently each time (sometimes I reread the whole series, other times only one book, and I've also done a combined AFfC/ADwD reread).

• 1 year later...

Well after my first read through I abandoned ASOIAF, and I flitted through a lot of other obsessions before I returned to do a reread 4 years later. I'm ashamed to say that I skim-read a lot of AFFC and ADWD the first time (and I never actually finished the latter because I found it so boring). Now that I'm rereading it there's an incredible amount of new things I'm picking up on that I'd never noticed the first time, and I'm enjoying the later books far more! 

Lately I've gotten into a nice routine listening to the audiobooks, when I'm out and about or doing art I just stick one on, and it helps me to concentrate!

• 2 months later...

When I caught on to the massive symbolism in AGOT and for sake..... reread things like locations, mysterious prophecy, and introductions to new characters and locations.

I consider myself an above-average reader but the sheer volume of information can be overwhelming so for me I reread many pages/chapters during every reread of the 5 books 

As for my 1st reread of the series it wasn’t long after I finished certainly. Not long at all 

• 3 months later...

I started re-reading again in January 2018 because I heard I rumor that TWoW was coming out at some point this year. Once I found out that the rumor was (unsurprisingly) bullshit I was already near the end of ASoS, so at that point I thought I might aswell carry on. 

• 10 months later...

I - shamefully? - haven't read the books since I read them all in the span of three months after watching Season 1 back in 2012. Chuck in the TV series and I guess I just suffered from burnout! 

I'll probably start a reread project once confirmation of Winds's release comes out...

Archived