Typeface

Maester of Valyria

I'm trying to copy-paste a big block of text from a Word document into a new topic. The problem is that I can't seem to get the pasted text to look the same as forum-default typeface.

Is there any way to change the typeface of the text when making a topic? Please help!

Failing that, what typeface should I change the Word document to so that it pastes neatly into the forum?

Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

I'm trying to copy-paste a big block of text from a Word document into a new topic. The problem is that I can't seem to get the pasted text to look the same as forum-default typeface.

Is there any way to change the typeface of the text when making a topic? Please help!

Failing that, what typeface should I change the Word document to so that it pastes neatly into the forum?

Thanks for your help!

Is there any formatting in the Word document you need to preserve?  If not, your browser may have in the edit menu a 'paste and match formatting/style', which pastes just the plaintext version (and thus the forums will apply the formatting).  Chrome has "Paste and Match Style" under the Edit menu, and Safari has "Paste and Match Formatting" in the same place.  

If your browser doesn't have that, open a plaintext editor (like Notepad on Windows) and paste the document in there.  Then select all and copy it again, and you'll have a plaintext no-formatting version of the piece you want to paste in.

If you want to paste and still need to preserve formatting like bold, italics, etc., then you're probably going to want to change the font manually.  In the editor, you can click on 'Source' and should get the HTML source of your post, where you can just remove all the font face styling.  That's a bit of a pain, though.

9 hours ago, Sparks said:

Is there any formatting in the Word document you need to preserve?  If not, your browser may have in the edit menu a 'paste and match formatting/style', which pastes just the plaintext version (and thus the forums will apply the formatting).  Chrome has "Paste and Match Style" under the Edit menu, and Safari has "Paste and Match Formatting" in the same place.  

If your browser doesn't have that, open a plaintext editor (like Notepad on Windows) and paste the document in there.  Then select all and copy it again, and you'll have a plaintext no-formatting version of the piece you want to paste in.

If you want to paste and still need to preserve formatting like bold, italics, etc., then you're probably going to want to change the font manually.  In the editor, you can click on 'Source' and should get the HTML source of your post, where you can just remove all the font face styling.  That's a bit of a pain, though.

There's quite a lot of formatting that I need to keep, and the text I need to transfer is 7 pages in total, so doing it manually would be tiresome to say the least. Do you know what typeface the forum uses?

17 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

There's quite a lot of formatting that I need to keep, and the text I need to transfer is 7 pages in total, so doing it manually would be tiresome to say the least. Do you know what typeface the forum uses?

The issue is that it doesn't, per se.  It potentially uses slightly different typefaces depending on which stylesheet; mobile versus desktop, etc.  Even if you use the 'right' typeface for your browser and system, it may be the 'wrong' typeface for someone else.  And even there, it has a fallback for if any fonts are missing.

For instance, in my browser right now it's Helvetica Neue (if present), followed by Helvetica (if present), otherwise followed by Arial (if present), otherwise any system sans-serif font.

On 07/06/2016 at 4:13 AM, Sparks said:

The issue is that it doesn't, per se.  It potentially uses slightly different typefaces depending on which stylesheet; mobile versus desktop, etc.  Even if you use the 'right' typeface for your browser and system, it may be the 'wrong' typeface for someone else.  And even there, it has a fallback for if any fonts are missing.

For instance, in my browser right now it's Helvetica Neue (if present), followed by Helvetica (if present), otherwise followed by Arial (if present), otherwise any system sans-serif font.

If I may ask, why are we no longer able to change the typeface used on the forum? I remember that we were able to do so prior to the update, and it eliminated this sort of problem.

On June 9, 2016 at 3:14 AM, Maester of Valyria said:

If I may ask, why are we no longer able to change the typeface used on the forum? I remember that we were able to do so prior to the update, and it eliminated this sort of problem.

believe (Ran can correct me if wrong here) that the font-face feature was actually provided by an add-on which no longer works with more recent versions of Invision.

On 12/06/2016 at 7:39 PM, Sparks said:

believe (Ran can correct me if wrong here) that the font-face feature was actually provided by an add-on which no longer works with more recent versions of Invision.

I see. Would it be possible to add it back in a future version?

Thank you very much for your responses!

Archived