[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

teemo

I find the dialogue is not as bad as previously feared (except for a bit too many cock jokes) but my overall impression is that it's been actually quite boring and meandering. I feel some of like the good bits from the books have been cut unnecessarily. (No Broken Man speech, North remembers speech.) The episodes also feel really short. I bet they do that stupid move of over stuffing the finale rather than spreading it out over the season like they always do so pacing issues are still a problem. 

It's also been lacking shocks, I know it gets criticised for shock value but this season has just been so predictable at times and it doesn't feel like Thrones without it. 

3 hours ago, Into the Weirwood said:

Yeah, but is their fleet big enough to convince Daenerys? I can't help but think she's not very open to making deals (e.g. Quentyn Martell in the books) but in this scenario it may be different

I might be wrong, but isn't it the only fleet available at the moment in the show? Twenty good men is OK, sixty two is a treat, why not some ships? I know, I know, Euron is building 1,000 ships, give him two or three episodes, but for now....

Is the rampart teleportation even worth mentioning at this point?

Arya is dead. Like, super dead. You don't survive e multiple stab wounds to the abdomen in a medieval society.Also, way to show sh learned absolutely nothing at the House of Black and White. What evn was te point of her retrieving Needle if she wasnt going to be even lightly vigilant? To top it off, in the ext couple of episodes were getting that parlour scene so not only does sherecover but she'll be well enough to do gymnastics. Of course, women not getting raped every five minutes would be 'unrealistic'. FFS

I liked the Hound scene because yay, hes back, but what was even the point of him being there and of Septon Marigold's speech if he was just going to revert to his place self immediately? A D how did he not hear anything before? I'm also pissed of with the Brotherhood now being portrayed as some asshole thugs - people GIVE them resources. That's the whole point! They do start hanging people but it's only those that were connected to the RW - they would never slaughter some random priest and villagers.

Theon dislike a yo-yo. One second hes snarking his uncle, giving rousing speeches at the Kingsmoot and stealing hundreds of ships and the next hes too scared to have a beer. Get a grip Theon.

So, Marg is playing the HS and he doesn't even know. Also passing by the prime opportunity with to manipulate Tommen. Why is everybody in KL an idiot? 

54 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

No, I was saying the show was like The Sopranos when it was good. Also The Wire, Breaking Bad... it was in that top tier of TV shows. Not no more.

When did they recast characters, have plot holes etc in The Sopranos?

I don't think it was ever in that tier.  Season 1 showed some potential. There weren't many plot holes in The Sopranos....every series in television history has plot holes, but The Sopranos was good at keeping things tight and there definitely weren't highly noticeable, massive plot holes.  Characters couldn't time travel, for example. 

As far as recasting, they did recast Tony's other sister, Barbara and Christopher's mom half-way through the series.  And Vito played some other random guy in the bakery when Christopher shot the clerk in the foot.  They were really good at not recasting much though with even a fairly large extended cast (although most were minor characters).  You could go seasons without seeing someone and the same actor would pop up again. But really, recasting Barbara in season 4, a woman we hardly ever saw in the first place and contributed basically nothing to the show (except to maybe share with the audience that not everyone in Tony's immediately family had to turn out dysfunctional), is quite a bit different than recasting the Mountain, a pretty important character, three times in 3-4 seasons.  

I guess I am occasionally.

What I had written earlier is that I thought the actress who played the Mormont girl was badass. Really well done.

However, how an assassin who has been trained for how long decides for an abdomen stabbing as opposed to the throat or heart is beyond me. Not to mention that Arya was in that dirty water while her feces and bacteria were festering is also a big screw up.

1 hour ago, Illiterati said:

I have a feeling Arya's scene was a dream.

You know..... I'm kind of torn on that.....

On one hand, it would totally explain why didn't have needle on her, and why she is running and jumping around in the next week's preview.. (which you'd think would be something hard to do if you where repeatedly stabbed in the gut)

On the other hand, is this show really resorting to dream sequence fake outs now? That would be impressively horrible writing, even for what we've been getting recently.

Also, as has been mentioned either here, or in other threads..... The Waif stabbed her to maim and die slowly.... Jaqen told  her to do it quick and painlessly.... That might support the dream sequence theory... but the Waif breaking the rules also might be the justification for not just sending another FM to actually just murder Arya when the Waif inevitably fails...... That's also discounting that the FM aren't allowed to kill people they know, or for personal reasons.... or that walking up to someone and stabbing them repeatedly in the stomach, on a crowded street in broad daylight, and then changing faces might be a little contrary to the nature of the FM and their whole working in the shadows motif.

Now, I'm not even marginally happy with the return of Sandor Clegane, or should I say The Hound? How long was he healing, by the way? (I know it's a ridiculous question in this show.)

So much for The Hound is dead, Sandor Clegane is at peace (where's the cry and wallow emoticon when I need it?)

4 hours ago, SeventhReign said:
11 minutes ago, Ninerings said:

I guess I am occasionally.

What I had written earlier is that I thought the actress who played the Mormont girl was badass. Really well done.

However, how an assassin who has been trained for how long decides for an abdomen stabbing as opposed to the throat or heart is beyond me. Not to mention that Arya was in that dirty water while her feces and bacteria were festering is also a big screw up.

Waif probably wanted her to supper by bleeding out for a while, instead of ending it quickly.

9 minutes ago, Maid So Fair said:

She was winding when coming out of water and her hands are shaking.

7 minutes ago, Quiet Sister said:

Perhaps she is UnArya now after drinking that water recently? :D

If this was only a dream, then the Arya fans should protest this show, because we see her very rare and this is a dream

2 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

In the show, is anybody ever motivated by something other than a horrible death/rape/whatever?

In other words, couldn't they think of any other way to get the Hound moving than to kill off all his new friends?

And Yara Greyjoy is a lesbian now? Where did that come from?

I thought I had a limitless tolerance for crassness, but "I'm gonna fuck the tits off this one" was too much even for me. Maybe it's cos it felt forced.

And - that was the bolshiest ten year old girl in history, not letting any of her older, more experienced advisors speak a word out loud. Either that's the way the character was written... or they just didn't want to pay any other actors.

I still like the show but it's long since been relegated from the same league as The Sopranos, etc. I caught a scene from the first season, Jorah speaking to that Dothraki who later became the supernerd on that dumb Scorpio show, and it was very noticeable that it was a cut above the current stuff. They were able to invent a scene that helped explain the characters, their backstories, their relations between each other, and helped build the world. Nowadays that seems beyond them. I guess the grind has just worn them down, or perhaps they had more time to write for the earlier episodes.

...and was it just me or did the Hound's makeup even look a bit shittier?

Perhaps it's going to be a running gag now that Yara will be trying to carry off Dany as her salt-wife.

Or maybe she'll be a lesbian version of Lord Flashheart from Blackadder II.  She grabs Dany's breasts and declares "Firm and fruity your Grace, just the way I like them!"

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I have been very hard on Sansa but with the way the show is portraying Jon, I don't blame her one bit for writing that letter to whoever the hell she wrote it to...  Where is Jon's fire?  Where's his leadership?  Taking command?  Like when he took over the watch during the battle for castle black...  Like when re recruited men for the raid on the mutineers?  Like when re rallied the wildlings at Hardhome?  Why not go around preaching about the WW's coming?  Why so fucking quiet?  Why Davos has to be the only one with any fucking sense or fire in his belly?  Jon's character has regressed and the shit is dumb. Now he doesn't even want to try to rally the Cerwyns or Manderlys...  Sansa please help this damn fool because he sure ain't coming across as the King in the North I expected him to be...

•  

Jon looked noticeably nervous and hesitant - even his posture seemed stoop-shouldered.  It's as if he doesn't know how to talk to people other than Crows or Wildlings if he's not Lord Commander anymore.  And why isn't Ghost at Jon's side as the personification of the Stark sigil?

Archived