CLEGANEBOWL

That quote is amazing, thank you for that!

Sandor Clegane has a destiny. Holy men keep telling him god isn't done with him. He's a cynic who is cannot keep himself from caring - for Sansa, for Arya, for Meribald. I believe the answer to the riddle “Three great men sit in a room, a king, a priest and the rich man. Between them stands a common sellsword. Each great man bids the sellsword kill the other two. Who lives? Who dies?" is that all men will fight for the one's (s)he loves. Love both defines the direction of service, and the ability of the men in the riddle to sway the sellsword. Without love, a sellsword will choose whatever furthers himself. So there is no loyalty without love.

Sandor Clegane will fight along with Brienne for Sansa. I do not think he will pledge himself to the North. I would be interested to see him up finish off LF in a mirror-scene to the Molestown scene with LF, Sansa, and Brienne.

Is his ultimate destiny a mythic one? Perhaps his death, however it comes, will make us sob as deeply as we did for Hodor.

I just do not think we are ever going to see Cleganebowl. It would be a poor testament to the conflict and complexity of The Hound if his entire character arc were to summise to a showdown between him and his undead brother.

It's been noted a few times that the "[Gods] aren't finished with Sandor Clegane" and that is no coincidence. He exists to serve a higher purpose—one which will lead him to the North, to Winterfell, and finally the battle against the White Walkers—Heartsbane in hand. He always wanted some Valyrian steel.

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2016 at 10:27 AM, Sophie of House Stark said:

I just do not think we are ever going to see Cleganebowl. It would be a poor testament to the conflict and complexity of The Hound if his entire character arc were to summise to a showdown between him and his undead brother.

Gregor is already killed by Oberyn, the unGregor is a zombie, there is little left from his former presonality, so I don't think it would make much sense for Sandor to seek revenge from him.

4 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Gregor is already killed by Oberyn, the unGregor is a zombie, there is little left from his former presonality, so I don't think it would make much sense for Sandor to seek revenge from him.

That's the beauty of it. Sandor wouldn't be doing it for vengeance. The Mountain and The Hound are dead. Only through abandoning his life of violence is Sandor granted the opportunity to kill his brother for good. It doesn't matter anymore that Gregor isn't there, because it doesn't matter to Sandor at this point. 

14 minutes ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

That's the beauty of it. Sandor wouldn't be doing it for vengeance. The Mountain and The Hound are dead. Only through abandoning his life of violence is Sandor granted the opportunity to kill his brother for good. It doesn't matter anymore that Gregor isn't there, because it doesn't matter to Sandor at this point. 

Agree. But the show doesn't really showed that Sandor abandoned violence. He killed a bunch of people in Broken Man alone. We can consider these killings justified but it was still violence. Besides that, Sandor wasn't really into killing, no matter what bullshit he said to Sansa. Yeah, he killed Micah, but later regreted it, otherwise he killed people defending himself (Beric, Gregor's soldiers etc) or others (Sansa). I believe he never sought violence or enjoyed it (unlike his brother).

18 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Agree. But the show doesn't really showed that Sandor abandoned violence. He killed a bunch of people in Broken Man alone. We can consider these killings justified but it was still violence. Besides that, Sandor wasn't really into killing, no matter what bullshit he said to Sansa. Yeah, he killed Micah, but later regreted it, otherwise he killed people defending himself (Beric, Gregor's soldiers etc) or others (Sansa). I believe he never sought violence or enjoyed it (unlike his brother).

Whoops. It's been so long since I've seen this thread, didn't realize it was show Cleganebowl not book Clegnebowl. 

Archived