Arya vs. the Waif

WolfQueenArya

My theory is that Waif = Arya. They are the same people but with alter egos. WaifArya is the one that wants to be no one. RealArya wants to be Arya Stark. Two conflicting egos manifested in two people trying to get rid of each other. Ultimately it will be her true Identiy as Arya Stark that wins and defeates the no one alter ego.

How about this? In the stabbing scene the Waif is walking around wearing Arya's face (hence the non-Arya gait etc.); the old woman is Arya wearing a face. After stabbing the Waif (who has an Arya face on) she "reveals" her Waif-face to show the Waif that she's better at the game of faces than she (the Waif) is. 

This requires that the faceless men can wear the faces of the living as well as the dead. And it also doesn't explain why the very end focuses so much on Arya-faced, stabbed Waif staggering around the streets.

Also, the person jumping out the window in the preview: are we sure that's not Yara?

I just want Arya (or even Jaqen) to kill the Waif. I hate her with a burning hot ferocity. And the Waif does NOT belong among the Faceless Men, because she's consumed by her jealousy of Arya. Surely Jaqen knows this? I'm hoping this was her big test, and her failure to kill Arya will spell her doom. 

1 hour ago, ser poopypants said:

How about this? In the stabbing scene the Waif is walking around wearing Arya's face (hence the non-Arya gait etc.); the old woman is Arya wearing a face. After stabbing the Waif (who has an Arya face on) she "reveals" her Waif-face to show the Waif that she's better at the game of faces than she (the Waif) is. 

This requires that the faceless men can wear the faces of the living as well as the dead. And it also doesn't explain why the very end focuses so much on Arya-faced, stabbed Waif staggering around the streets.

Also, the person jumping out the window in the preview: are we sure that's not Yara?

What's the jumping out of the window scene?  Do you mean the scene of Arya jumping down into the stairs in the market?

5 hours ago, DutchArya said:

Arya's life is in danger. She JUST got Needle back. She is hding in some underground cave, completely in the dark. Her threat level is on 10. What happened to Jon...he was completely blindsided because there was no perceived threat, nowhere near Arya's level. How are these situations even comparable? 

Since this is the show forum, I am not sure if you have read the books but:

Spoiler

Mel actually warns Jon that he is in danger. She also tells him to keep Ghost nearby. Jon knew that some at CB were angered at him. Jon also had LC, and yet failed to draw LC because of the attack. 

In terms of Arya, Arya did not know that Waif saw her. Also, we don't know that Arya did not have needle. That is an assumption because she doesn't draw needle. The attack happened quickly. Arya is also not stupid, drawing a blade and walking around a crowded market place is just asking for trouble. Plus she was hurt... 

10 hours ago, grufolo said:

So it's safe to say that the Arya_Waif and Mr_Snow meet before the end of the season?

It's be cool to see Jon finally retaking control of Winterfell after a bloody struggle and the aryawaif's face while she pours him a glass a of wine... with a imperceptible smirk on her face

Maybe the BotB will end up in ramsay winning (he has the numbers with him), but Arya will arrive just after it and make way for JS+Sansa to take winterfell. Arya cleaning up the mess Robb made, I guess it's wishful thinking.

6 hours ago, hallam said:

Most likely explanation is that Arya survives, kills the Waif, takes back her face and wears it round Jon.

Yeah, the Waif (arya with her face) probably has done a scene early with JS. I wonder what that means..

4 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

There are going to be horde of insanely raging and disgusted ex-fans if that happens.

So let's just not go there.

Why? What's wrong with that?

3 hours ago, ser poopypants said:

Why would the Waif wear Arya's face, while she is lookin for Arya? If the real Arya (with a fake face) would see her own face somewhere in Braavos, she would know it's someone else within a second. That won't help the Waif in her mission to kill Arya. 

Perhaps it is all more simple.  Arya is truly stupid (she knows nothing like any other Stark) and daydreams in the wide open allowing the waif to stab her.  However Jaqen is following everything and somehow sees the waif did not follow his orders.  At this point he can magicheal Arya (who was punished enough) then kills the waif and releases Arya.  Huge plot armor but I don't buy the Arya-Waif switch.  Why would Arya wear the waif face, to attract (and shock) Arya to her? Arya would know it is a FM not her lost twin sister and still run.  And blood bags? How does she know she will be stabbed and not *fill in another 1000 types of attack*.   Assuming she knows the waif always stabs the belly, a knife would go through the bag anyway. Where did she find suited armor and how come the waif does not feel her knife stop in the armor (when it actually goes inside and she twists it too...) 

Some here have speculated that Jaqen is disappointed in the Waif for hating Arya or being jealous of her. Waif probably feared that Arya could take her place as Jaqen's No. 1 in the temple. Jaqen knows this. Maybe the Waif's fear was legitimate. Jaqen wanted Arya to become his new No. 1, but Arya disappointed him too when she didn't kill the actress.

Now he had to let Arya go, although she's special and he doesn't want her to die. So he makes himself look like Arya, baiting the Waif to kill "Arya". But the main reason he did is was because the showrunners (and maybe George Martin in the next book too) wanted this WTF-moment at the end of the episode/Arya-POV-Chapter.

think people are way way over complicating what happened in episode 7 and will be shown in episode 08. the show doesn't do complicated yes it does shock value but not overly complicated.

the waif will obviously catch up with arya, and I believe arya will either be saved at the last moment by jaqen as the waif did not follow the orders he gave her and was always jealous of arya. or arya will win and jaqen will offer her a chance again but she will most likelly leave to exact her revenge on the people on the list

19 minutes ago, a dragon is still a dragon said:

think people are way way over complicating what happened in episode 7 and will be shown in episode 08. the show doesn't do complicated yes it does shock value but not overly complicated.

the waif will obviously catch up with arya, and I believe arya will either be saved at the last moment by jaqen as the waif did not follow the orders he gave her and was always jealous of arya. or arya will win and jaqen will offer her a chance again but she will most likelly leave to exact her revenge on the people on the list

This most likely, but I think Arya may get help from Lady Crane too.

22 hours ago, Maxwell998 said:

My dream would be to see Arya killing the Waif and finally embracing her Stark Side. And then to come back to the HOBAW to meet Jaqen. Then he will ask "who are you?" and she will say "Arya Stark".  And he'll say: "A girl is finally ready".

And then Jaqhen pulls off his face, revealing that he's BenJen. Or Syrio.

4 minutes ago, a dragon is still a dragon said:

ahhh yes why did i forget about lady crane good point

Unless Lady Crane has some magical power, I do not see how she could possibly heal Arya so quickly.   If they skip an episode sure, it seems months can pass between them (for some characters).

14 hours ago, D2procon said:

My theory is that Waif = Arya. They are the same people but with alter egos. WaifArya is the one that wants to be no one. RealArya wants to be Arya Stark. Two conflicting egos manifested in two people trying to get rid of each other. Ultimately it will be her true Identiy as Arya Stark that wins and defeates the no one alter ego.

Do you mean in a Fight Club kind of way?

13 hours ago, ser poopypants said:

Why would the waif being wearing Arya's face? And wouldn't Arya need to be dead already for that to evevn be possible?

Arya wouldn't need to convince Jaqen to let her go. If the Waif is killed, a life has been given to the Many-Faced God. Arya doesn't need to die anymore.

Jaqen may serve a speech along the lines of "OMG that has never happened before" (in a more elegant way, of course), but that's about it, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, mattnj81 said:

Why would the waif being wearing Arya's face? And wouldn't Arya need to be dead already for that to evevn be possible?

Apparently not because there was already that dead body with Arya's face on it.  Still seems ridiculous to me besides that though.

Archived