Arya vs. the Waif

WolfQueenArya

59 minutes ago, Madarjeen said:

Arya wouldn't need to convince Jaqen to let her go. If the Waif is killed, a life has been given to the Many-Faced God. Arya doesn't need to die anymore.

Jaqen may serve a speech along the lines of "OMG that has never happened before" (in a more elegant way, of course), but that's about it, in my opinion.

I like this theory.

I also wonder if Jaqen is going to reveal himself to also be Syrio before sending Arya on her way.

It can't be that easy to get out of the FM, just say, oh, here, I killed this other person, so it's all good.....and we don't know if this Jaqen is the same one from Westeros or not.

-Syrio is dead. He was last seen with Meryn Trant in full armor.  Trant had no reason to spare his life, he said himself he wasn't going to run away, so he's dead because Trant was seen long after this fight.

54 minutes ago, Noveson said:

Apparently not because there was already that dead body with Arya's face on it.  Still seems ridiculous to me besides that though.

True, I forgot about that. I guess it's a little silly to try and make sense of that particular storyline.

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It can't be that easy to get out of the FM, just say, oh, here, I killed this other person, so it's all good.....and we don't know if this Jaqen is the same one from Westeros or not.

-Syrio is dead. He was last seen with Meryn Trant in full armor.  Trant had no reason to spare his life, he said himself he wasn't going to run away, so he's dead because Trant was seen long after this fight.

Not if Syrio changed his face became Jaq'en and got locked in the black cells...  Lol. Seriously I know that ship has sailed but damn that would have been great storytelling and gave Arya's story a sense of purpose & cohesion...  Like why is Jaq'en so enamored with Arya in the first place?   Because he's Syrio...  Would tie up the whole Braavos storyline very well...  Now, it's very hard to figure out what the purpose of Arya and the FM is...  Do they really want Arya to be "no one"?  Or do they have a bigger plan for her as Arya Stark?

12 hours ago, Abhijeet Ashtikar said:

Has anyone noticed that she was walking exactly like "Bran" did in his Green dreams with Three Eyed Raven..

I suspect something.. And whatever she did like giving the money & taking it back was right-handed.. We know that the Arya is left-handed.. Right?

Any thoughts??

I personally think she's wearing a blood bag etc.

Buuut, since you mentioned it, as she's walking like Bran, you don't think she's being possessed/skinchanged by him? I kind of refute this idea, because Arya needs to get out of this on her own, and I think she's too strongly Arya to be warged by him, but some kind of Stark connection? 

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

So just because Trant was seen again, means Syrio is dead for sure?  All we know is we heard screaming.  Maybe Syrio was captured.  Maybe he disappeared in a cloud of smoke?  

Just now, Xarkar said:

So just because Trant was seen again, means Syrio is dead for sure?  All we know is we heard screaming.  Maybe Syrio was captured.  Maybe he disappeared in a cloud of smoke?  

The first sword of Braavos does not run.  So, if he didn't run, and he was left to fight a KG in full armor who already ordered the Lannister soldiers to kill him,and this KG did not die in the fight, why or how would Syrio be alive?  Why would Trant spare him, when they killed everyone associated with the Starks including several unarmed workers and a septa and he had already ordered his death?  Who is going to show up and counter that he be saved?  

I guess he could have disappeared in a cloud of smoke, but that's about the only way he could be alive.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The first sword of Braavos does not run.  So, if he didn't run, and he was left to fight a KG in full armor who already ordered the Lannister soldiers to kill him,and this KG did not die in the fight, why or how would Syrio be alive?  Why would Trant spare him, when they killed everyone associated with the Starks including several unarmed workers and a septa and he had already ordered his death?  Who is going to show up and counter that he be saved?  

I guess he could have disappeared in a cloud of smoke, but that's about the only way he could be alive.

If he was captured, he would not have ran.

Arya got away, perhaps he was held for questioning as to where she went?  I mean it is fishy, but still.

Maybe he beats Trant and then leaves him alive?

As we have seen before nothing is as it seems (Hound, Jon etc).  if they didnt explicitly show Syrio die, there is a good chance he is still alive.  

The other thing fishy about that scene is Syrio could have picked up a sword many times from one of the fallen soldiers.  yet he keeps his wooden sword... why?  He must have been confident he could win (or his plan would succeed).  He specifically asks Arya "What do we say to the god of death"  (the answer is "not today").

I just dont buy that the first sword of bravos is that stupid and confident to fight a kings guard with  wooden sword... unless that was his plan all along.

1 hour ago, Xarkar said:

If he was captured, he would not have ran.

Arya got away, perhaps he was held for questioning as to where she went?  I mean it is fishy, but still.

Maybe he beats Trant and then leaves him alive?

As we have seen before nothing is as it seems (Hound, Jon etc).  if they didnt explicitly show Syrio die, there is a good chance he is still alive.  

The other thing fishy about that scene is Syrio could have picked up a sword many times from one of the fallen soldiers.  yet he keeps his wooden sword... why?  He must have been confident he could win (or his plan would succeed).  He specifically asks Arya "What do we say to the god of death"  (the answer is "not today").

I just dont buy that the first sword of bravos is that stupid and confident to fight a kings guard with  wooden sword... unless that was his plan all along.

Have you seen the thronecast s6e7 interview with the actor that plays Syrio? It was so goooood! GET HYPED.

55 minutes ago, DutchArya said:

Have you seen the thronecast s6e7 interview with the actor that plays Syrio? It was so goooood! GET HYPED.

No I had not seen this.  Looks like he slipped up?

Syrio has a strong relationship with tHoBaW...  "yes... ah no.. with braavos"...  Lol  

11 hours ago, mattnj81 said:

Why would the waif being wearing Arya's face? And wouldn't Arya need to be dead already for that to evevn be possible?

As I said, this would require it to be possible for the FM to wear the faces of the living as well as the dead. As for why the waif might wear Arya's face---perhaps in the hope of confusing her (or of creating a story of what "Arya" planned to do for Jaqen's benefit). I don't think any of this is likely, by the way--just no more unlikely than some of the other explanations....

I don't see the Waif/Arya thing working. The show is VERY loathe to do magical twists. They didn't do LSH and they wouldn't do that one if they didn't have to. Jon's death was essential for him to get out of his NW oath.

Arya's face on the dead body is irrelevant as it was Arya seein it during a halucination scene.

I don't think Syrio became Jaq'un unless he was always Jaq'un. Say the first blade of Braavos died and had his face taken by the FM. Then used by an assassin visiting KL. Yes, you could make it fit. But it is a long and really unnecessary twist.

I think more likely that Arya knew the way the Waif would react because she has trained with her so long. She knows that a stab in the gut is what she would do. She forces the Waif to act fast - that was the reason for demanding the cabin.

The show is not going to use magic when a blood bag will work.

Oh and Arya can't really go back to the players as Arya without people asking questions. So she would return as the Waif after taking her face.

The blood bag scenario would tie into Arya already being with the players - they teach her a stage trick in gratitude for her saving Fake Cercei 

She did suggest they play Westeros....

Also if anyone were using Syrio' s face it would mean he was dead - and Martin told the truth.

The blood bag theory is implausible as how would Arya know she was going to be attacked and stabbed in the stomach rather than having her throat cut? Plus I think whoever said Gendry would meet and help Arya is correct. I can't see how Gendry would not appear again having being once an important character and now would be an ideal time. This series is starting to draw all the scattered characters back together.

On 6/6/2016 at 10:12 AM, SevasTra82 said:

There is something twisted about all of this, but one thing I can gaurentee...as a few people have already pointed out in this thread, that *had* to be Arya that got stabbed, because a FM cannot take another persons face unless they are dead.  That would mean Arya is already dead, which makes zero sense.

So that *was* Arya and The Waif.  The real question now is...was that blood just a blood bag from the acting troupe and Arya was "acting" as if she died?  Or did Arya *really* get stabbed but miraculously survives it?

My money is that Arya really did get stabbed, because how would Arya know that The Waif was specifically going to stab her in the stomach?  Mighty fine coincidence there.  Also, the preview shows the Waif looking around, as if she's a little shocked Arya is alive still.  The boat is leaving for Westeros the next morning, so things have to happen pretty darn quickly.  Which means...the real mystery here is how does Arya heal from her wounds so quickly?  I don't know of anyone in Essos that has any sort of hardcore healing magic.

So that's my question on all this.  How does Arya kill The Waif and heal from those Wounds?

As has been pointed out, there are not only faces in this universe.  There are also glamours.  It took me some thought and to be reminded that the Kindly Man had in fact appeared as Arya at one time.

7 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:
  Hide contents

You do realize that Martin and D&D have all said Syrio is dead, don't you?

And Catelyn is dead, and Benjen is not Coldhands.  shrug.

Syrio is dead, and Jaqen pronounced himself dead right before Arya's eyes.  And Jon was dead, and the Mountain was dead, you get the picture.  I think their whole point in these declarations is to challenge our definition of "dead."

2 hours ago, hallam said:

I don't see the Waif/Arya thing working. The show is VERY loathe to do magical twists. They didn't do LSH and they wouldn't do that one if they didn't have to. Jon's death was essential for him to get out of his NW oath.

Arya's face on the dead body is irrelevant as it was Arya seein it during a halucination scene.

I don't think Syrio became Jaq'un unless he was always Jaq'un. Say the first blade of Braavos died and had his face taken by the FM. Then used by an assassin visiting KL. Yes, you could make it fit. But it is a long and really unnecessary twist.

I think more likely that Arya knew the way the Waif would react because she has trained with her so long. She knows that a stab in the gut is what she would do. She forces the Waif to act fast - that was the reason for demanding the cabin.

The show is not going to use magic when a blood bag will work.

Oh and Arya can't really go back to the players as Arya without people asking questions. So she would return as the Waif after taking her face.

Long twist?  You mean, like 6 seasons to find out how Wyllis became Hodor?  Yeah, I agree.  GRRM doesn't play the long game :rolleyes:

I'm not saying Jaqen is Syrio.  Just that it wouldn't be an implausible long twist.  Interesting how Jaqen appears in Arry's life shortly after Syrio is presumed lost.  And personally, I would respect GRRM as a storyteller if this comes to fruition.

Archived