A little stopover by the Bridge of Volantis.

Arkash

39 minutes ago, atonement said:

I was hoping that Yara will say to Theon, "I was born without a cock, what are you whining about?"

THIS! I was thinking that would have been way better than her other T&A lines--and a perfect way to point out her appetites and vigor without making it about necessarily being tied to having a cock or behaving like a cookie cutter dudebro. 

Other than that?  I think it makes perfect sense for her to handle Theon the way she did. She wants him to remember what ale tastes like, what living feels like, etc..

So you're saying she is a closeted straight woman, acting gay to fit in with the straight guys who follow her? That seems a little convoluted.

The show-runners made her LGBT, big deal. I don't think they meant to have the scene be empowering, it was just another excuse for some bewbs and that ridiculous Fuck the Tits off That One line. She has no reason to act like a dominant queer, she just is one.

/edit This was in response to the first page, didn't see the next few pages that pretty much said the same. I liked the idea of her speech plenty. I think it would have been just as fitting if she was playfully targeting a pretty boy, or simply another Ironborn guy. The unnecessary bewbs are so much a part of the show that it hardly registered as I watched it play out.

2 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

a question for book readers please, do you think that Yara or/and theon are taking Quentin's story? 

Tyrion already released the dragons, and there's nobody to propose to Dany, so all that's left for them of Quentin's story would be to get killed by a dragon.

I think it's more likely they will take over Victarion's story. 

Just now, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

Tyrion already released the dragons, and there's nobody to propose to Dany, so all that's left for them of Quentin's story would be to get killed by a dragon.

I think it's more likely they will take over Victarion's story. 

Thank you your answer and I'm really hyped about Danny adding another eununch in her team

7 hours ago, Thel said:

THIS! I was thinking that would have been way better than her other T&A lines--and a perfect way to point out her appetites and vigor without making it about necessarily being tied to having a cock or behaving like a cookie cutter dudebro. 

Actually no, not at all. Yara doesn't have a cock, but she has her lady bits, she can still be stimulated and have release. It's completely opposite of Theon's situation. I'm not saying Theon can't eventually find a way to adapt, but it's not the same thing remotely.

The lesbian scene isn't gratuitous.  Yara has stolen Euron's idea of sailing to Meereen and forming an alliance with the Dragon Queen, so she's clearly hoping to marry Danys as well. ;) At the very least we'll get a sexposition scene while Dany and Yara plot how they're going to kick ass in Westeros (except in the Iron Islands, which apparently lacks good asses to kick).  Meanwhile Theon will get drunk with Tyrion and get some post-castration counseling from Varys.

30 minutes ago, Odon said:

The lesbian scene isn't gratuitous.  Yara has stolen Euron's idea of sailing to Meereen and forming an alliance with the Dragon Queen, so she's clearly hoping to marry Danys as well. ;) At the very least we'll get a sexposition scene while Dany and Yara plot how they're going to kick ass in Westeros (except in the Iron Islands, which apparently lacks good asses to kick).  Meanwhile Theon will get drunk with Tyrion and get some post-castration counseling from Varys.

Now there is an idea lol, especially since Dany fooled around with Missandei in the books.  I don't think it'll necessarily work but I could easily see the show doing that.

18 hours ago, Facebookless Man said:

completely pointless scene where nothing relevant is said, a vehicle for the obligatory tits and eunuch jokes, let's make Asha a lesbian because she's so badass she's basically like a dude, that'll show those feminists how enlightened we are with our empowered women theme, she even talks like a bro, bro

Absolute garbage. Congratulations.

The fastest ships in the iron islands pledging for Daenerys isn´t relevant? The process of someone who was castrated being talked out of trauma (by whichever means) and the parallels that has with so many other eunuchs in the series is not relevant? Theon, who was justly raised by the usurper´s dogs, being at Daenerys´ side isn´t relevant?

Maybe the fact she´s a lebian just bothers you so much that you can´t see reason very clearly? That would be funny.

5 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Actually no, not at all. Yara doesn't have a cock, but she has her lady bits, she can still be stimulated and have release. It's completely opposite of Theon's situation. I'm not saying Theon can't eventually find a way to adapt, but it's not the same thing remotely.

Ah, see I disagree. I get that Yara hasn't been hurt in the way that Theon is. My point isn't really that having your genitals mutilated is the same as being born a woman. I was mostly trying to point out that she offers a precedent in moving through the/ a man's world without a cock. It just seemed that  in the spirit of "drink up / life's tough but worth living  / we can get revenge " message  she might point out that life without a cock doesn't have to mean no life at all---rather than roaring about screwing someone's tits off.

Ah, ok. I think the show had a really good opportunity to demonstrate this with Missi and Grey Worm, but instead they had him stare blanky at her when she asked 'why would an Unsullied go to a brothel?'. Because he's still human with wants and needs. His wants may be different, but he still craves human closeness. (Still upset about that, it's right in the book ferchristsake). But no, the show has already decided that that romance is going nowhere because Grey Worm doesn't have man parts. If that relationship had been allowed to grow into an actual thing instead of dropped by the side of the road, it would have been a positive model for Theon to see. I know I'm talking about just relationships and you're talking about broader things, but it still kind of irks me that the show started down this road and then bungled it.

17 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Ah, ok. I think the show had a really good opportunity to demonstrate this with Missi and Grey Worm, but instead they had him stare blanky at her when she asked 'why would an Unsullied go to a brothel?'. 

To be fair, if that´s a subject hard enough for brother and sister to discuss, imagine between love interests, one of them being an unsulied and all that implies. Grey Worm is not only an eunuch, he´s been a slave-soldier his entire life. He never practiced his social skills with a sister, a cousin, a tavern wench. Grey Worm also probably doesn´t even know how to describe sexual desire.

I see their relation as another side of the whole thing the story has been doing about eunuchs, or rather, about the biological and possible psychological emasculation of men. It´s not "either..or", we can see different perspectives and different kinds of interactions that only add one to the other.

Whether anyone likes it or not, sexuality is a main theme in the show, much more than in the books. (not directed to you, just a general comment)

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

Ah, ok. I think the show had a really good opportunity to demonstrate this with Missi and Grey Worm, but instead they had him stare blanky at her when she asked 'why would an Unsullied go to a brothel?'

Totally agree.  And your point about that relationship being part of Theon's possible healing/redemption arc is interesting, too.  I'm holding out hope that they get there with M and GW---and haven't just let it go cold.

6 hours ago, NutBurz said:

The fastest ships in the iron islands pledging for Daenerys isn´t relevant? The process of someone who was castrated being talked out of trauma (by whichever means) and the parallels that has with so many other eunuchs in the series is not relevant? Theon, who was justly raised by the usurper´s dogs, being at Daenerys´ side isn´t relevant?

Maybe the fact she´s a lebian just bothers you so much that you can´t see reason very clearly? That would be funny.

Yeah this thread is like a rorschach test on human sexuality. The results are a little sad.

13 hours ago, Gertrude said:

So can Theon? He hasn't lost all his man bits or in this case even the crucial ones. I'm actually fairly sure this was another of Ramsay's ways of torturing Theon.

Archived