Why would Brotherhood without banners kill all those people

SaChr222

The musical cue was interesting when they appeared - sinister and villainous. 

My guess is that the Brotherhood that we met initially, is no longer the same Brotherhood that we saw. Maybe it's fallen apart after the war, or maybe it's just a group of rogues / renegades. 

Perhaps we find out more as Sandor goes on his revenge quest. 

Just the show messed up, I think. The BwB have been seen before, so it's easier to use tham rather than introduce a new band of brigands.

Still, it's very hard to explain the shift. While in BwB do shift when leadership passes from Beric to Lady Stoneheart, they're still clearly an emotionally motivated group with a specific purpose, not just a random group of warriors doing whatever they feel like.

4 hours ago, duysim said:

Because lady stoneheart is the leader of the bwb. And she heard the story of the mother who's son got murderd in front of her eyes. Then stoneheart demand the bwb to kill them all and hang that guy who killed that boy.

Bingo.  This definitely has LSH's handiwork written all over it, imo.  We don't know who any of these people were, but I sense a strong implication that the septon was directly involved in the Red Wedding.  The others?  Perhaps fellow Freys or Lannisters who share his remorse, and maybe the BwB have been tailing them for some time.  

And since it looks like both Jamie and Brienne are in the Riverlands, the timing is perfect. 

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

There are no Brave Companions on the show.

Well yes and no. Amory Locke's men captured Jaime and took his hand off. That wasn't the BwB.  

1 hour ago, SerJimmyJangle said:

Indeed; HBO has already confirmed that the yellow-cloaked man is Lem Lemoncloak:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-6/episode-7/people/230/lem-lemoncloak

"A member of the Brotherhood Without Banners, Lem raided Brother Ray's community."

Well that stinks. 

10 hours ago, SaChr222 said:

I take it that the guy on the horse who septon Ray was talking to was Lem.(because of the orange cloak) So why would bwb kill innocent people, when they were the only ones that swore to protect them.

Because in the book they become corrupted over time by the influence of Lady Stoneheart and her hate. She takes them down a different path and killing anyone she doesn't approve of is part of that. Lem is a pretty nasty piece of work in the book when Brienne last encounters him.

With all this talk about fake-Arya, I'm surprised no one suggested Fake BWB here?

We get re-introduced to the BwB by the Freys who are reeling on multiple fronts.  Lord Walder complains about the Blackfish at Riverrun, the BwB and a few other items.  He also notes specifically that the smallfolk love the BwB.  He then reveals the plan he hatched to re-take Riverrun.

But what is his plan for the BwB?  So far military might hasn't been enough.  So the next best option is take away their support from the smallfolk.  But how to get the smallfolk to turn against the BwB?

I think those men were Freys claiming to be the BwB.  This is Lord Walder's plan to get the smallfolk to turn on the BwB.  The fake BwB did a little re-con and made sure people knew who wanted their food before they left.  They then returned to kill everyone, left behind the food they claimed they wanted and even left a survivor to tell the tale.  

There really is no motivation for the BwB to kill innocent smallfolk, even those who worship the seven.  The Freys, on the other hand, have every incentive to do it.  

4 minutes ago, Lord Martin said:

With all this talk about fake-Arya, I'm surprised no one suggested Fake BWB here?

We get re-introduced to the BwB by the Freys who are reeling on multiple fronts.  Lord Walder complains about the Blackfish at Riverrun, the BwB and a few other items.  He also notes specifically that the smallfolk love the BwB.  He then reveals the plan he hatched to re-take Riverrun.

But what is his plan for the BwB?  So far military might hasn't been enough.  So the next best option is take away their support from the smallfolk.  But how to get the smallfolk to turn against the BwB?

I think those men were Freys claiming to be the BwB.  This is Lord Walder's plan to get the smallfolk to turn on the BwB.  The fake BwB did a little re-con and made sure people knew who wanted their food before they left.  They then returned to kill everyone, left behind the food they claimed they wanted and even left a survivor to tell the tale.  

There really is no motivation for the BwB to kill innocent smallfolk, even those who worship the seven.  The Freys, on the other hand, have every incentive to do it.  

Nope, not going to happen, way too much brain work.

That toast that Walder Frey is giving in the trailor is baffling though.... unless they spend screen time explaining this tiny little detail of their crappy plan then not going to happen. I like it though. How many episodes left? Maybe they're just trying to feed a pack of dogs roaming the riverlands..

Really folks?

Some of you seem to be putting way too much thought into the whole thing. To me it seems like a simple religious purge with poor peasants getting the pointy end of swords.

The red Witch likes to find an excuse to burn those who don't fall in line with her Red God. Send out the troops to kill, just give them instructions to focus on followers of The Seven. Simple concepts, simple results.

If you are the priest in charge (whomever that might be), sending out the troops makes it easier to feed your remaining troops. Blame and retribution from Kings Landing, if they actually even worry about it, will be pointed at roving bands of thieves rather than anything deeper and darker. Keep your followers pumped up to kill non-believers, Get a bit of plunder. What more would a priest of the Red God want?

If that was the simple reason, the question comes up as to why they outright killed them rather than burning them.  The answer would be that killing keeps the possibilities wide open for who might have done the dirty deed but mass burnings would point the finger right at the Red God.

Maybe I am just trying to over simplify things but until something shows up in later episodes to contradict my idea, I am sticking with it.

Archived