Sandor Clegane's future

6 hours ago, DamonDanceForMe said:

Honestly it is nothing that complicated. I really feel it is within Lancel's character to think he can do it. Even think back to clash when he is asking tyrion to give him a battle command and tyrion muses that all young knights think they are invincible. 

I have no direct textual evidence and so am totally willing and interested in theories to the context -- it just kind of fits in my mind though.

It does make sense - no-one wanted to fight the Mountain the first time round till Oberon. You'd have to believe the gods were helping you before going out to fight Robert Strong.

All the same, I keep remembering that vision of Bran's, with a headless giant looming over Jaime and Sandor. If Lancel fails, maybe it will come down to them - one disabled in the arm, one disabled in the leg, but possibly the only fighters brave or desperate enough to do it.

2 hours ago, Springwatch said:

All the same, I keep remembering that vision of Bran's, with a headless giant looming over Jaime and Sandor. If Lancel fails, maybe it will come down to them - one disabled in the arm, one disabled in the leg, but possibly the only fighters brave or desperate enough to do it.

I still believe that the headless giant in the vision refers to the titan of braavos and that that is a FM prophecy

Sandor's arc seems to be all about what being a knight truly means.  Is a knight sworn to obey their lord even when the lord commands them to commit atrocities?  Should a knight use their power and position for their sole benefit?  Or is a knight supposed to protect the weak at the cost of breaking the law of the land?  The idea of a true knight is repeated quite often throughout the storyline, and it is my assumption that Sandor's arc is heading towards him reaching this ideal.  But then I interpret a lot of what he says as bluster.  He has this reputation of being violent and full of hate, but that is a lie he invented to protect himself from the cruelties of the world.  You can see by his actions that he quite often goes out of his way to protect people throughout the story.  Primarily with Sansa, but also with Arya and Loras.  He hates the hypocrisy of knighthood, which is sworn to protect the weak but is comprised of monsters like his brother. 

I don't see him killing his brother, because he isn't a kinslayer.  Instead I see him creating a new order of knights that actually serves the people first and foremost.

Yes Sandor could go do yet more Sansa rescuing or looking for Arya or just try to build a quiet life and get sucked back into all the drama anyway.   This guy is important.   His relationship with fire demands he meet a dragon eventually. Ice as well.   I agree that this guy understands knighthood intellectually but I'm unsure if his rough edges will be so smoothed by injury and rest.   The Hound, on the other hand, had a great deal of freedom of choice in his life.   He was so brave and fierce.    He was also moved by the Stark girls and honestly tried to protect both of them.   This Elder Brother says The Hound is dead, but what a shame that would be to waste this beautiful character.    Sandor/Hound whatever he calls himself when he comes to light will be perhaps more in control of himself and less eager for confrontation and opportunity but he will still never be a refined soft spoken wimp.    Lame or not, he will come back a BAMF, crude and rough and reeling in his indignities.   I doubt there will be a Clegane Bowl.   That's a scenario for TV not this story.   Sandor/Hound has got important work to do in the books to come.   

• 1 year later...

With all the new show info we have now I think Sandor's role may be bigger than people imagined originally.   He may be intended to sacrifice his life in a way that is necessary to defeat the Night King.  I would love to see him and the Stark girls becoming closer before that happens.  It is also possible he could die defending them, but I think his purpose is bigger than that now.

I agree with most other posters. No Clegane bowl, it would be moving Sandor backwards instead of forward. The Hound is dead. Sandor Clegane lives and is trying to find peace. Whether or not he has found or will find that peace is yet to be seen but I agree he will play an important role. 

I would like for some closer, non-sexual, relationship to happen on page for him & Sansa however if I had to pick a Sandor reunion with only one Stark girl it would be Arya. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute I read the 2 of them together & it would be very interesting to see the 2 of them interact now that they are both different people. Maybe Arya will give him the gift this time - I sincerely hope not but it would be poetic. 

Cleganebowl is up there with R+L=J for the most obvious things in this series. His arc is to become cured of that which prevented him from being a true knight, his anger, and then to be a legendary true knight, and absorb all the torment, punishment and anguish that entails. Like having to forego acting on the love he feels for a married girl/woman, deciding between two contradicting oaths and becoming a liar and hypocrite for it and braving dragon's fire.

I was just thinking about this.

Will Sandor pick up where he left off? i.e. will he go back to wearing the hound helmet, and will he change his horse's name from Driftwood back to Stranger? Or something else?

1 hour ago, chrisdaw said:

Cleganebowl is up there with R+L=J for the most obvious things in this series. His arc is to become cured of that which prevented him from being a true knight, his anger, and then to be a legendary true knight, and absorb all the torment, punishment and anguish that entails. Like having to forego acting on the love he feels for a married girl/woman, deciding between two contradicting oaths and becoming a liar and hypocrite for it and braving dragon's fire.

A legendary knight, oh yes.

On 10/21/2017 at 8:48 PM, Lady Wynne said:

With all the new show info we have now I think Sandor's role may be bigger than people imagined originally.   He may be intended to sacrifice his life in a way that is necessary to defeat the Night King.  I would love to see him and the Stark girls becoming closer before that happens.  It is also possible he could die defending them, but I think his purpose is bigger than that now.

Why do you think there is a Night King in the books? 

Crazy idea, so feel free to flame it a new one:

Sandor was supposed to die after Arya left him, meaning that the Elder Brother stole a life from the Red God. Does that mean Arya will allow either Sandor or the EB to say a name for her to kill, and might that name be Ser Robert Strong?

Archived