Sandor Clegane's future

The hound is one of my fav characters, a tragic, tortured badass.

What i was recently thinking about is what exactly does Martin have in store for him. I know about the broken man, cleganebowl (GET HYPE)theories which at this point can be virtually be considered canon.

My question is : Where will the character go from there?

lets assume Cleganebowl happens and Mountain dies by his brothers hand. In my mind there are two possible outcomes of the trial:

1 - He dies, which may sound stupid killing a character just after bringing him back but it would make sense because we know that for the Hound hate is the only driving force a yearning to one day kill his brother. Having done that he may finally rest and even find peace in his final moments having fulfilled his one goal (a sad one nonetheless) in life.

2 - He lives, having finally fulfilled his sad dream, he finally (perhaps over time)lets go of his hate and finds peace(which for sandor seems IMPOSSIBLE) and goes on to find new meaning in his life.

His death in combat would (in my opinion) conclude his life story in a satisfying way(A redeeming end, giving him closure and bringing an end to a bitter life) because honestly i have NO clue whatsoever to where the character would go if he lived on. I would appreciate some thoughts and what anyone thinks will happen and IF he lives where he might go from there?

It seems to me that the Hound is dead and that Sandor has already found peace. I really don't think Cleganebowl will happen. As satisfying as The mountain vs. the hound would be awesome but The Hound is dead and the Mountain is dead. All that remains is Sandor and Robert Strong. When you put it in those terms it doesn't really have the same flavor. 

I think of Cleganebowl kind of like Arya's kill list. GRRM plays up the list but in the end Arya doesn't get to kill everyone on the list. Cleganebowl awesome hype but ultimately i don't think it will happen. 

37 minutes ago, Lost Umber said:

He marries Sansa and sits the iron throne. Theirs is the real song of ice and fire.

Icky!! No

Sandor is dead meat. Although Mountain's soul may be dark magic-d into Robert strong

I don't think Cleganebowl would be satisfying at all. The whole point of the Quiet Isle arc is him letting go of his hate and desire for revenge. So killing his brother would be going a step back; his introspective journey and learning experience would've all been for nothing. The Hound is dead and Sandor lives, you know.

Besides, EVERYONE KEEPS FORGETTING that Sandor has a lame leg now, how the fuck could he go against the Mountain?!

On another note, I really want to see him meet Sansa again. They're nearby in the books, and there are definitely some unresolved issues there. My inner fangirl wants them to be romantically involved, but I don't think that's happening. Anyway, they will probably cross paths again.

Sandor has been burnt by his brother (on the face); he fought through a massive wildfire attack launched by his own side; he was forced to duel an undead guy with a flaming sword.

He has the worst luck with fire imaginable.

Can anyone truly believe that dragons arrive on Westeros and Sandor doesn't even meet them??

33 minutes ago, Warsaw said:

I don't think Cleganebowl would be satisfying at all. The whole point of the Quiet Isle arc is him letting go of his hate and desire for revenge. So killing his brother would be going a step back; his introspective journey and learning experience would've all been for nothing. The Hound is dead and Sandor lives, you know.

Yes, after all that he was through, to spend the rest of his life in peace and quiet would be swell. Too bad this is Westeros right in the middle of the worst shit tempest ever, and it's about to get worse.

33 minutes ago, Warsaw said:

Besides, EVERYONE KEEPS FORGETTING that Sandor has a lame leg now, how the fuck could he go against the Mountain?!

Nope, still remember. But a very good question, one I don't have an answer for... which only makes it more interesting.

6 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Yes, after all that he was through, to spend the rest of his life in peace and quiet would be swell. Too bad this is Westeros right in the middle of the worst shit tempest ever, and it's about to get worse.

Nope, still remember. But a very good question, one I don't have an answer for... which only makes it more interesting.

I just said he won't be staying there forever. I meant that when he goes away, it won't be for killing his brother.

And yeah, THE LEG. No one ever answers about the leg.

27 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Sandor has been burnt by his brother (on the face); he fought through a massive wildfire attack launched by his own side; he was forced to duel an undead guy with a flaming sword.

He has the worst luck with fire imaginable.

Can anyone truly believe that dragons arrive on Westeros and Sandor doesn't even meet them??

If it were not for bad luck, some people would not have any luck at all. 

I had not considered the dragon angle. Sucks to be Sandor.

Sandor Clegane was a violent man that lived a violent life, maybe the hound is dead, but that doesn't mean he can't take arms again for a just cause or simply to even the score of those knights who go around wreaking havoc. I don't know, I think he don't deserves a peaceful life in the quiet isle, his rare good actions or being denied a clean death do not sweep away all his terrible deeds.

I've pictured the death of the hound in the field, then before finally dying he would finally get the song he wanted from Sansa before going peacefully, having at least corrected some of his wrongs in this world. That would be a proper good bye for that guy.

1 hour ago, Warsaw said:

On another note, I really want to see him meet Sansa again. They're nearby in the books, and there are definitely some unresolved issues there. My inner fangirl wants them to be romantically involved, but I don't think that's happening. Anyway, they will probably cross paths again.

Exactly! Boo Cleganebowl 

5 minutes ago, Merengues said:

Sandor Clegane was a violent man that lived a violent life, maybe the hound is dead, but that doesn't mean he can't take arms again for a just cause or simply to even the score of those knights who go around wreaking havoc. I don't know, I think he don't deserves a peaceful life in the quiet isle, his rare good actions or being denied a clean death do not sweep away all his terrible deeds.

I've pictured the death of the hound in the field, then before finally dying he would finally get the song he wanted from Sansa before going peacefully, having at least corrected some of his wrongs in this world. That would be a proper good bye for that guy.

I agree with the taking arms part, but believe he musn't go after the Mountain for his storyline to make sense. What would make sense would be him fighting for Sansa, or someone else with a "just cause".

I don't think it's correct to think about the characters in terms of "what they deserve". I mean, sure, he may or may not deserve a lot of things, but as for the plot, that is completely irrelevant.

You do realize that "getting the song he wanted from Sansa" would be having sex with her, right?

Assuming that Sandor is the man on the island, and if he ever leaves, I'd like to see him wind up as the Armsmaster in Winterfell...with Sansa and Rickon trying to rebuild their birthright.  IIRC, he had nothing but disdain for knights, as too many of them simply took their spurs and didn't bother following their vows.  The north doesn't have a tradition of knighthood, so helping to produce fighting men every bit as good as a knight, but without the sometimes false garbage of 'sworn to protect the weak', would seem to be a proper calling for him. 

I like the way he started to act around Sansa...being the first to bring a cloak when Tyrion stopped the beating she was taking and supporting her when she made up the lie to save Dontos' life.  Perhaps an even better fate may be to put him up against Harry the Heir...an ugly man who would have been knighted...except he despises knighthood against a handsome young man who won a tourney that was pretty much staged for him to gain his spurs.

Now I think he has a big role with the so called endgame. I don't believe in Cleganebowl, at least not in KL. I think his fate is tied with the Starks, and now he is near Sansa... and Stoneheart. I somehow think that the Riverlands are the ultimate meeting point for Sansa, Sandor, Jaime, Mountain (the fight in Bran's vision), Brienne, LF and UnCat.

42 minutes ago, Merengues said:

Meh, If you think about it his bad deeds were done by command (Not that I am justifying it) but his speech to Sansa about knights being killers and the world essentially being for sharp steel and strong arms is true in this world.  Even though we see Ned as an honorable man, he too was a killer just like everyone else was.  The hound did what he had to do to survive.  In this world I don't see what he did as being cruel and what have you, it was what was needed in order to survive.

Archived