Why didn't Jon return LongClaw to Mormonts?

Malchyor

You want your house back, but won't give up a sword to get it?  WTF?

Without Davos, Jon would have failed.  And at no point was that sword spoken of.

I get that it's invaluable, especially having seen what it can do against the coming threat of The White Walkers.  But...really?  One emergency at a time!  

Because it's a fucking Valyrian steel sword, aka the only weapon that can destroy White Walkers besides dragonglass. Priorities, people. Davos said it himself: the war with the Others is more important.

The Mormonts didn't even ask for it, don't know Jon has it. So it's not that "he won't give it up". Really: why would he give it to them if theyu didn't ask for it? If they don't have ANY need for it, when he needs it very very badly?

Besides, who would've wielded it... Lyanna? She's badass and all, but probably can't even lift a longsword.

You'd have given it back? Really?

Mormont gave it to him very directly. His only stipulation (can't remember if it was book or show) was that he give it to Jorah should he ever end up at the wall taking the black.

If Jorah survives the series. (Doubtful in the books...EXTREMELY doubtful in the show) I expect Jon to give it to him once the WW have been dealt with.

Because if Lyanna asked for it, Jon would be like: "Nooo! It's my precious!":D

But really, I think that there are two reasons for it: 1) Jon didn't think about it. 2) it's a very valuable thing to have when you're about to fight the WW.

7 minutes ago, Cryler said:

He could've mentioned that Mormont gave it to him though. The fact that Jeor felt he was worthy to carry it would have meant something in little Lyanna's decision making.

Yes, I agree that it seems odd that the sword wasn't even mentioned (unless I missed it - it certainly wasn't shown). The fact that it was given to Jon is pretty strong evidence that Jeor thought very highly of him.

1 hour ago, Cryler said:

He could've mentioned that Mormont gave it to him though. The fact that Jeor felt he was worthy to carry it would have meant something in little Lyanna's decision making.

Well, mentioning that Jeor gave him the sword because he's so worthy of it would have come across as boasting.

...which is why the angle should instead have been that Jeor gave him the sword for saving him from a walking corpse trying to murder him, because that's how big a deal good old Jeor thought walking corpses are so you should too.

Does Lyanna, or any other Mormont, even care?

There's something odd about Longclaw. Normally, a house that has a cool sword can't shut the fuck about it. At least it'll get mentioned several times. Say, Heartsbane: Samwell tells Jon about it, Cat knows its name, so does Brienne, it gets one mention in TWOIAF.

The Longclaw? Nobody cares. Sure, the name appears fifty-odd times, but all of it is Jon and Samwell. Not Ser Jorah, not any of the she-bears, not a single Mormont mentions their alleged ancestral sword.

Weird!

You would think they would notice the hilt - did Jon have it with him?  Now I forget, but if he wore it in, one would certainly believe that Ms. President of Bear Island would have known it belonged, at least once, to them. 

19 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Weird... or a plot forced (absence of) storyline.

Super cool guy needs a super cool sword. 

The fact that the Mormonts don't give a rat's ass about Longclaw (if they even are aware of its existence) doesn't make the sword more super cool, if anything the opposite. So it's not that.

5 hours ago, Malchyor said:

You want your house back, but won't give up a sword to get it?  WTF?

Without Davos, Jon would have failed.  And at no point was that sword spoken of.

I get that it's invaluable, especially having seen what it can do against the coming threat of The White Walkers.  But...really?  One emergency at a time!  

OK with Davos they have 62 more men, but you think this is not a failure.

Why should he give the Longcl to them, he has a contract with Mormont or what.

Archived