Stannis' Winterfell camp and Davos

Jon, Sansa and, more importantly, Davos have come upon the camp that Stannis and his army used before the "siege" of Winterfell. This is the camp at which Melisandre burned Shireen.

The show runners wouldn't have placed Davos here unless he was going to discover what happened to the Princess Baratheon. Melisandre left the wall with Jon and Co. so she can't be far behind them. Once Davos finds out what happened the proverbial shit will hit the metaphorical fan.

Mel will be killed, either by Davos, or in another way that would be awesome and surprising.... Say, Jon plunging Longclaw through the red woman's heart, killing her physical body and transforming the sword into Lightbringer.

im not sure why Jon would ever kill the Red Woman with Longclaw though... she is the one who brought him back from the dead after all.  Davos of course could be the one to put an end to her - but in all honesty, I don't blame her for it.  I more blame Stannis for listening to her prophesies and burning his own child.  

If Jon finds out that she burned an innocent child just to melt the snow he would have no problems killing her. Sure you could argue that he killed Olly, but Olly directly helped in killing Jon. The only time Shireen ever held a blade was when she was whittling the stag for Davos. 

Perhaps Davos finds out what happened before the battle of Winterfell 2.0. I doubt he would kill Mel before the battle ensues, he may still remember what happened at Blackwater in her absence. It seems likely that Davos will be killed during the battle of Winterfell so maybe Jon will be fulfilling Davos' last wish by killing the red woman and ending her streak of sacrifices/ dark magic following the victory at Winterfell.

Not to mention Jon most likely doesn't even want to be resurrected again if he dies once more, what better way to ensure that than by killing her.

Im not saying these exact things will happen, but I expect something at least similar to this.

11 minutes ago, med1 said:

Mel predicted she would meet Arya again so I doubt it happens until that comes to pass. 

This is the first reason I don't see it happening before the battle of the bastards (unless of course the show-runners put it in because they thought they'd do the (f)Arya storyline and didn't).

The second though is she has said multiple times she's seen herself walking the battlements of Winterfell with Bolton banners burning. Seems likely we will get to see that.

Is there anyone alive to currently contradict Mel if she just sticks to her story of not knowing what happened to her.  I mean everyone died on Stannis's side.  I heard the statement that during the Battle of WF (season 5) Ramsey had so much Calvary and men b/c the sell swords that abandoned stannis went to Ramsey.  So, I guess they could validate that Stannis/mom/Mel killed Shirreen but why would they still be hanging around that area.  Also, how much time has passed since Stannis's defeat b/c has weather conditions/snow removed the burning pyre or wouldn't Davos had seen it already?

Melisandre's days are definitely numbered. 

If it's not Davos who kills her, she will sacrifice herself for Jon's cause or something..

Basically something (anything) to remove her from the plot, because the showrunners will conveniently want to remove her, and her revive ability, from the plot before:

Spoiler

Rickon, and anyone else involved in Bastard Bowl, dies

That necklace-old-witch Mel scene from the season premiere was also very ominous as well. Almost like they want us to know who she is and what she's about, on a more sympathetic side, before they take here away for good

36 minutes ago, Soccer69 said:

Is there anyone alive to currently contradict Mel if she just sticks to her story of not knowing what happened to her.  I mean everyone died on Stannis's side.  I heard the statement that during the Battle of WF (season 5) Ramsey had so much Calvary and men b/c the sell swords that abandoned stannis went to Ramsey.  So, I guess they could validate that Stannis/mom/Mel killed Shirreen but why would they still be hanging around that area.  Also, how much time has passed since Stannis's defeat b/c has weather conditions/snow removed the burning pyre or wouldn't Davos had seen it already?

Mel has never really been a liar though. I think if anyone asks her about what happened to Shireen again, and doesn't interrupt the answer, a la Brienne, she will tell the honest truth of what she did. 

5 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I bet Davos will find the little wooden stag he gave Shireen near the pyre and somehow that'll tell him all he needs to know about her death because reasons. 

Yes... She was holding it when she was walking to the pyre, and dropped it when she realized what was going on and started to struggle. So it will be very close to the pyre and Davos will know Shireen shouldn't have been there.

Ah yes I forgot it was Davos that gave it to her, not the other way around, my mistake. 

That definitely seems like the way he'll discover it, Davos is a clever man, it won't take much for him to put two and two together. 

Okay im all but sold on that being how he finds out about it now.

3 hours ago, med1 said:

Mel predicted she would meet Arya again so I doubt it happens until that comes to pass. 

Mel predicted Stannis to Azor Ahai. Mel predicted Stannis would win. Mel predicted Shireen's death would aid him in this. Can't see the problem with Mel not meeting Arya again :dunno: 

Davos will definitely find out about Shireen. There was a clip in one of the trailers where Davos kneels over something that looks to be the remains and ashes of Shireen's pyre. 

I have no idea how Mel will die, but sooner rather than later it's her time to go. And the sooner she's out of the picture, the better. We need doors to close. There is not one storyline that's anywhere near the finish line and we don't have much left of the series. 

So your theory actually make more sense when I think about something I noticed about that scene:

Does Davos forget that Ramsey knew of this location and sabotaged all hope Stannis had with "20 good men"?  Ramsey has been to this damn camp like 9 episodes ago.  

The concept that they needed to return to this spot as a plot point for Davos/Shireen/Mel conflict would make sense that the show runners would just throw out all logical military surprise strategy to find a wooden deer.  

My big issue is Davos pointing out that Stannis chose an excellent strategic location for the camp to Jon and Sansa.  It wasn't.  This is the same area where Stannis has his army crippled as a result of Ramsay and his 20 good men because they "knew the lands well". 

3 minutes ago, Rubicante said:

My big issue is Davos pointing out that Stannis chose an excellent strategic location for the camp to Jon and Sansa.  It wasn't.  This is the same area where Stannis has his army crippled as a result of Ramsay and his 20 good men because they "knew the lands well". 

Yeah, but to be fair those 20 good men are omnipotent.

They certainly are omnipotent.

I got thinking about this.  Why 20 good men?  Why not 15 or 25 good men?  Did Ramsay perform some kind of efficiency analysis in advance to determine how he could get the best bang for his buck?  There was that one scene in season 5 where we think Theon is going to light the candle to get Brienne's attention, but then Theon goes into Ramsay's "study" instead.  It looks like Ramsay is doing something very studious there, so it is possible.

I take it 15 would not be enough to carry out his plan of simultaneous tent, siege weapon and horse fires.  And 25 would probably be too many.  Too great of a chance of being seen, and they might run into each other when sneaking around in Stannis' camp.

And why only take "good" men instead of "great" men?  Would 20 great men come along with too much pride?  Would great man #14 see the task of lighting one tent on fire too menial for him and decide to do something outside of Ramsay's plan, which could have jeopardized everything?  Perhaps the 20 good men are more aware of what they are.  They're good at their job and don't ask any questions.

Archived