Brianne and Blackfish

Ludvig Carlson

The trailer for next episode shows a couple of scenes from Riverrun...

1. Brianne talking to Jaime about convincing the Blackfish to 

2. Brianne handing Blackfish Sansa's letter

3. An army with Tully Banners walking through the Lannister camp

4. Brianne in a boat (at night)

(It's been a while since I read the books but can't remember exactly what happens but seems to be quite close to the show)

So from this, I guess that Blackfish and Brianne leave the castle in the middle of the night by boat. The Tully army surrenders the castle, for where I don't know but maybe the black or something. They instead meet up with Blackfish and head for the north to support Sansa and Jon, which will give them their needed numbers, now Sansa's last letter might mean even more men, probably from LF, and the Tully's will have to pass moat cailin so maybe they'll march together. 

In the Mega trailer:

We see Tormund a bit shocked in the war, I'd say two times, will Jon attack with his current force and then Tullies plus the Vale came and help them in the middle of the fight? Maybe, seems D&D style. Another, we won't see Blackfish, LF or Brianne in the 8 or 9 episode, so viewers get chocked when they come to help in the fight for Winterfell. 

I remember Blackfish escaping in the books, what happens to his troops? Does it say more about this and where they are heading? If not, what do you think? 

26 minutes ago, JonisHenryTudor said:

The Blackfish escapes through a few tunnels during the night. If I recall, he takes Robb's widow and potential child along. 

That is, atm, just a theory. Catelyn describes the hips of Robb's wife as "good for child bearing", while Jaime describes those of the girl who gets presented as Robb's widow as "narrow" (or was it slender?), which indicates they are two separate persons.

GRRM has said that was just an error on his part. Make of that what you will.

Just now, Lupus Major said:

That is, atm, just a theory. Catelyn describes the hips of Robb's wife as "good for child bearing", while Jaime describes those of the girl who gets presented as Robb's widow as "narrow" (or was it slender?), which indicates they are two separate persons.

GRRM has said that was just an error on his part. Make of that what you will.

Yes which is why I said potential, but I should have put quotation marks around it. The important point, however, is the BF escaped. 

I've got a real bad feeling about how this will play out. I just don't see the Tully's joining with Jon now that they already have a Vale army joining them. I can see Jaime maybe accepting an offer from the Blackfish, let them leave peacefully to march North and he can have Riverrun, but I really can't trust the Frey's to honour that deal. 

So: Brienne meets the Blackfish, gives him Sansa's letter. He thinks on it a while, decides helping them get revenge is more important than holding Riverrun. Makes a deal with Jaime, gives him Riverrun in exchange for allowing himself and his men to march North, Jaime accepts because he doesn't care, he just wants the Riverrun so he can go back to King's Landing. Frey's act on their own accord and kill Blackfish and his army as they march through the camp. Brienne and Pod escape later that night via sail boat. 

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic because Blackfish is my favourite character remaining and everyone else I like gets killed constantly, but I just don't see a happy conclusion here. 

43 minutes ago, Robb_ said:

I've got a real bad feeling about how this will play out. I just don't see the Tully's joining with Jon now that they already have a Vale army joining them. I can see Jaime maybe accepting an offer from the Blackfish, let them leave peacefully to march North and he can have Riverrun, but I really can't trust the Frey's to honour that deal. 

So: Brienne meets the Blackfish, gives him Sansa's letter. He thinks on it a while, decides helping them get revenge is more important than holding Riverrun. Makes a deal with Jaime, gives him Riverrun in exchange for allowing himself and his men to march North, Jaime accepts because he doesn't care, he just wants the Riverrun so he can go back to King's Landing. Frey's act on their own accord and kill Blackfish and his army as they march through the camp. Brienne and Pod escape later that night via sail boat. 

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic because Blackfish is my favourite character remaining and everyone else I like gets killed constantly, but I just don't see a happy conclusion here. 

Well, I think you are ok. The Freys suck at everything except having a bridge and inbreeding. They didn't even have up proper defenses around the siege so I doubt very seriously that they will decide on their own to attack the Tulley army after Jaime tells them an agreement has been reached. I think Jaime has established himself as the alpha male and no Frey is going to go against what he says.

17 hours ago, Ludvig Carlson said:

I remember Blackfish escaping in the books, what happens to his troops? Does it say more about this and where they are heading? If not, what do you think? 

I believe his soldiers were allowed to leave provided they vowed not to fight against the crown again. There was a woman with Jaime (I think an older Lannister woman) who commented that most won't keep that vow.

21 hours ago, Ludvig Carlson said:

In the books the blackfish escaped after they allowed Lord Edmure to go into the castle to talk the blackfish down. Then they go into the castle the next day and the blackfish is no where to be found. Upon further threats Edmure admits that they lowered the portcullis that attaches to the river just enough so that it still looked closed and the blackfish swam underneath it and swam away to safety. Afterwards The castle garrison is given the option to stay on with the new Frey lord or they are allowed to take the black. I assume that in the previews showing the Tully guards walking through the Lannister camp it is those that chose to take the black. The preview also show's things happening different from the books. It appears that the Blackfish will meet with Brienne at the same gate he met with Jamie and he is not impressed by her. Later it shows the two of them talking in what appears to be a tunnel and he seems much more interested. Then the shot of Brienne and Pod on the boat floating down the river. I think they will try to stay as loyal to the books as possible but who knows.

10 hours ago, JonisHenryTudor said:

The Blackfish escapes through a few tunnels during the night. If I recall, he takes Robb's widow and potential child along. 

In the books he escapes, its never told that he takes Robb's widow (pregnant or otherwise) along.Pretty sure Jaime (whose POV it is) thinks that Robb's widow leaves with her mother (Tywin supporter).

Its speculated that next thing Blackfish will do is to try to help her get away later or help Edmure escape but never written, just a fan speculation.

7 hours ago, Robb_ said:

Based on play-by-play trailer I don't think Blackfish goes with Brianne.

We have several pictures: Men in Tully colors calmly walking in Frey/Lannister camp, Jaime talking smack to Edmure, Brianne talking to Jaime, Brianne and Pod leaving on boat alone, Blackfish alone on steps of harbor looking (presumably at them), Brianne looking back with a look of horror

I think Jaime/Bronn make Edmure give up the castle as he is House Tully lord, so Blackfish is supposed to obey him. Follow the book, by having him give in by threatening pregnant Roslyn. Then they will send him over with a "few good men" dressed in Tully colors as "his men". If (when) he fails to convince Blackfish to give up, "those few good men" will lower the bridge at night thus allowing Frey/Lannister forces to enter Riverrun.

We see Brianne looking back in horror - its probably Riverrun burning with survivors unknown.

2 hours ago, Masha said:

In the books he escapes, its never told that he takes Robb's widow (pregnant or otherwise) along.Pretty sure Jaime (whose POV it is) thinks that Robb's widow leaves with her mother (Tywin supporter).

Yes, and she's not pregnant because her mom had been giving her moon tea to make sure she doesn't get pregnant.

1 hour ago, Lady Lyanna Mormont said:

Yes, and she's not pregnant because her mom had been giving her moon tea to make sure she doesn't get pregnant.

That's what she says, which is either the truth, or she is telling lies to get back in good graces with the Lannisters who now have to power.  Giving her daughter moon tea months in the past is a pretty easy claim to make.

4 hours ago, Eli Stark said:

That's what she says, which is either the truth, or she is telling lies to get back in good graces with the Lannisters who now have to power.  Giving her daughter moon tea months in the past is a pretty easy claim to make.

She already was a Lannister supporter. She was against their marriage and I don't see why she would make that up. If Jeyne was to be pregant, it would be bad for her

9 hours ago, Masha said:

Based on play-by-play trailer I don't think Blackfish goes with Brianne.

We have several pictures: Men in Tully colors calmly walking in Frey/Lannister camp, 

I don't see that. The army that is marching in the previews appears to be the Freys. They are following a banner with a blue bridge on it and most of the men are wearing those Frey caps.

I think that we will assume that the Blackfish is killed when Riverrun is taken. Brienne warned Jamie that if he attacks the Tully's, she'll fight him. This will lead to Brienne killing Jamie in episode 10. I'm starting to think that the man that Littlefinger sees in the snowy gods wood will be the Blackfish. Or could the Blackfish, the Hound, the real BWB, Brienne, and maybe even Arya slaughter the Freys at the red wedding???  The stragglers who flee get eaten by Nym and her pack. 

3 hours ago, tmug said:

I don't see that. The army that is marching in the previews appears to be the Freys. They are following a banner with a blue bridge on it and most of the men are wearing those Frey caps.

Sorry my bad, this Game of thrones poster had me thinking it was a Tully banner... 

http://orig12.deviantart.net/f2bc/f/2014/251/5/c/oliver_tully_personal_banner_by_dehlinger2032-d7yewlx.png

I can't see everything going as smoothly as some people think. I cant remember anything  within the 6 seasons so far happening like that. 

I can see Jon taking winterfell somehow whether that be with tully help or LF. I do however think Ramsey will engage Jon in open battle instead of listen to Roose's guidance about the high walls protecting them in the winter. 

9 hours ago, Ludvig Carlson said:

Sorry my bad, this Game of thrones poster had me thinking it was a Tully banner... 

http://orig12.deviantart.net/f2bc/f/2014/251/5/c/oliver_tully_personal_banner_by_dehlinger2032-d7yewlx.png

I originally thought they were Freys, but watching it again I think those may be Tully banners. It only looks like a single tower on the flag, not two. 

Archived