Who is Current Heir to the Iron Throne?

SerMixalot

Ok, just curious what people's opinions are or what the facts are with regards to the Iron Throne succession.

Tommen is currently king and young and hale, but in GoT no one is safe and we have the Prophecy of his death.

He has no living siblings

Technically he is a Baratheon, but there are no living Baratheons-except maybe Gendry-but well he aint around and not going to be accepted as heir.

He is married to Margery and she is not pregnant, ie she was away from Tommen for months and is now stated she is not having sex with him.  That could change, we shall see

So next in succession are Lannisters????

Only males considered?

Options are

Lancel-Disinherited himself for religious reasons right?

Kevan-Tommens Grand Uncle

Jamie-now off the Kings Guard can rule, right? He is now Lord of Castle Rock

Anyone Else?

So it is between Jamie and Kevan, right? 

WOW Jamie is heir to the Iron Throne!???

There isn't a clear heir.

If Tommen were to die then the matter would be settled by one of two ways.

1. War.
2. A Great Council.

In a war anyone who thinks they have enough support would gather their forces and stake that claim. All the rival forces would settle the matter on the field. The winner sits the Throne.

Should a Great Council be convened then the Lords would debate the merits of who should be king or queen and they would crown that person.

Who knows who would win in either case.

16 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

Ok, just curious what people's opinions are or what the facts are with regards to the Iron Throne succession.

Tommen is currently king and young and hale, but in GoT no one is safe and we have the Prophecy of his death.

He has no living siblings

Technically he is a Baratheon, but there are no living Baratheons-except maybe Gendry-but well he aint around and not going to be accepted as heir.

He is married to Margery and she is not pregnant, ie she was away from Tommen for months and is now stated she is not having sex with him.  That could change, we shall see

So next in succession are Lannisters????

Only males considered?

Options are

Lancel-Disinherited himself for religious reasons right?

Kevan-Tommens Grand Uncle

Jamie-now off the Kings Guard can rule, right? He is now Lord of Castle Rock

Anyone Else?

So it is between Jamie and Kevan, right? 

WOW Jamie is heir to the Iron Throne!???

Any Targ...even without war or great counsel...should be heir to Tommen's throne based on the fact that the Bratheon's and the Targs are cousin's which is the reason that after the Rebellion Robert took the throne (when all of the targs were killed he was next in the line of succession for Aegon I throne. So, by this logic, whichever targ is closest to tommen would be the heir. Targs did a lot of breeding. As the Queen of Thornes put out there, in her day marrying a targ was all the rage.

I don't see how Jamie  or Kevan could possibly fall into the line of succession because I don't see how Cersei could.

I am sure that somewhere out there there is some noble kid who has a targ grandfather who would be Tommen's third cousin or something and they would have a far more valid claim to the throne than any of the lannisters.

That's why we saw that dialogue about Marg not wanting to go to bed with Tommen. One possible (and probable) outcome for the KL plot is this complete vacuum of power. Cersei finds a way to defeat the HS but somehow this victory causes the death of her son. If Marg has no baby, nobody will be in the line succession. The Targs are not in the line of sucession because they were defeated by Robert's rebellion. If a Targ want's to be king/queen again, it has to be through war.

1 minute ago, Hangatyr said:

That's why we saw that dialogue about Marg not wanting to go to bed with Tommen. One possible (and probable) outcome for the KL plot is this complete vacuum of power. Cersei finds a way to defeat the HS but somehow this victory causes the death of her son. If Marg has no baby, nobody will be in the line succession. The Targs are not in the line of sucession because they were defeated by Robert's rebellion. If a Targ want's to be king/queen again, it has to be through war.

Seriously now, I'm sure this is deliberate. There will be an almighty power vacuum just in time for Dany to swoop into KL. Alas, Cercei will have just razed it, and all the action will have shifted north anyway. Dany, with half a million hyped-up savages grabs control of an empty throne and ashes.

3 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Seriously now, I'm sure this is deliberate. There will be an almighty power vacuum just in time for Dany to swoop into KL. Alas, Cercei will have just razed it, and all the action will have shifted north anyway. Dany, with half a million hyped-up savages grabs control of an empty throne and ashes.

The vacuum of power will be likely caused by an ilegitimate decision. I think only the council could chose the next king - but Cercei won't care about this and she will take the throne for herself. That would be cool, since her brother never had the courage to do that - and she resents fot the world being ruled by men.

I think that Martin said that other people will sit on the Iron Throne before the end of the story. I used to think that the HS would be one of them - but now I think Cersei is the probable choice.

The Lannisters have no claim to the throne. Whether that would stop them putting, say, Jaime there and defending the decision at sword point, I don't know. But they certainly are not in the line of succession at any point.

In the books, I have no doubt there is a long and complicated explanation of what thrice-removed Baratheon cousin is technically heir (and what he is currently eating).

In the show? Sand Snakes.

2 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

I don't think Dany will ever see kings landing. 

I think she will find herself long dead before the issue of the iron throne is  decided. 

Thought the empty throne and ashes I do believe, I think Dany will be dead before it happens and most likely her body still in Esos. 

5 hours ago, Hangatyr said:

Ahh interesting theory and makes sense in terms of the show, though Dany stills seems a bit aways from Westeros.  But why would Margery not want to get pregnant as soon as possible, a child would strengthen her position as queen

Archived