Theory: At least one if not all of the dragons will die

Indoril Nerevar

6 hours ago, antipattern said:

All three will die (along with Dany). The series will climax with the end of "magic" in Planetos...

So does that extend to areas that aren't really discussed much in the main novels? So will Sothoryos be a safer place now with no more Basilisks or Wyverns?

Or will the Faceless Men lose their skinchanging abilities?  I wonder if they would be cool with giving that up if it meant the end of Dragons for good.

32 minutes ago, AryaGonnaEatThatDeadFatGuy said:

So does that extend to areas that aren't really discussed much in the main novels? So will Sothoryos be a safer place now with no more Basilisks or Wyverns?

Or will the Faceless Men lose their skinchanging abilities?  I wonder if they would be cool with giving that up if it meant the end of Dragons for good.

I personally don't think basilisks and wyverns are magic. They're just animals. Sure, they're mythical and whatnot in our world but they could just be part of the natural order in aSoIaF. But the whole thing about Essosi magic is part of what makes me personally certain that the end of the series won't end in the death of magic. How would they put an end to the magic of the warlocks, Faceless Men, shadowbinders, etc. Their likely isn't some metephorical font that all magic stems from that can be turned off like a sink.

5 minutes ago, TheSovereignGrave said:

I personally don't think basilisks and wyverns are magic. They're just animals. Sure, they're mythical and whatnot in our world but they could just be part of the natural order in aSoIaF. But the whole thing about Essosi magic is part of what makes me personally certain that the end of the series won't end in the death of magic. How would they put an end to the magic of the warlocks, Faceless Men, shadowbinders, etc. Their likely isn't some metephorical font that all magic stems from that can be turned off like a sink.

I could see that for basilisks, not magic just something we don't have. But the WoIaF describes wyverns as smaller more aggressive dragons. Are you saying you think that's an overblown comparison?

In total I agree with you. I don't think the dragons cause all of planetos' magic. It just increased when they returned. Also, correlation does not mean causation

47 minutes ago, AryaGonnaEatThatDeadFatGuy said:

I could see that for basilisks, not magic just something we don't have. But the WoIaF describes wyverns as smaller more aggressive dragons. Are you saying you think that's an overblown comparison?

In total I agree with you. I don't think the dragons cause all of planetos' magic. It just increased when they returned. Also, correlation does not mean causation

The wyverns are describes smaller, more aggressive dragons that don't breathe fire. And that last part is the important parts, since the whole deal with dragons is that they're "fire made flesh". Wyverns are likely just big winged reptiles.

I think all of the dragons will die because magic will die.  The clash between Ice and Fire is tied up in magic which allows dragons to exist and causes the seasons to follow their own random patterns rather than the predictable orbit of Westeros around its host star and the tilt of its axis.  Something threw things out of balance which needs to be corrected but that restoration will likely bring a more mundane reality that lacks blood magic, direwolves, weirwood paste, etc. 

2 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Something threw things out of balance which needs to be corrected but that restoration will likely bring a more mundane reality that lacks blood magic, direwolves, weirwood paste, etc. 

I don't see why it would affect direwolves. They're just a big species of wolves. The direwolves the Stark kids found may have been magic, but I don't think direwolves as a whole are magic. 

All three dragons will die. In fact, all "magic" will disappear by the end of the books, and we will have a non-magical new post-Long Night society.

I am pretty sure that Davos Seaworth will kill one of the dragons, there is mention of Davos Dragonslayer in TWOIAF. I think in the Battle of the Dawn he will be fighting on Jon's side and kill Viserion (Lannister associated dragon, kinda payback for Blackwater) with a big scorpion arrow (the ones they used in Mereen to shoot down dragons). Also there is mention of some dragon flying too close to the sea, and dying afterwards. And Davos' last name is SEAworth.

Rhaegal will be killed by Sam Tarly. His nickname is Sam the Slayer, and dragon slaying would be pretty impressive accomplishment for this "hunter". Also, Tarly banner has a red huntsman on green. Since Sam is at the Citadel, and we know how maesters were responsible in extinction of dragons during the dance between Rhaenyra and Aegon, I believe Sam will plunge Heartsbane into Rhaegal once he learns how dangerous they are to humanity, and killing a dragon with Heartsbane will cover Sam in dragon blood from head to toe on Rhaegal's green scale background.

I believe Drogon will survive Battle of the Dawn unlike Viserion and Rhaegal like described above. Jon will mount and skinchange into him, stealing him from Dany. But I believe Drogon will perish in King's Landing's wildfire when Cersei orders pyromancers to burn the city. Jon might survive the ordeal, but Drogon will die in green flames.

So yeah, for me it will be Davos, Sam and Cersei's madness.

Archived