Fargo 3: not until 2017

Baitac

Ep 3 was so fucking dull and destroyed the momentum and energy of the season.  Terrible choice by the showrunner.  Why has everyone been clamoring for Carrie Coon?  Her character is so dull.  And she veers between competence (parenting, searching Ennis' home for an intruder) and numb stupidity (leaving her suitcase outside, expecting a patrolman to just volunteer to run a search on someone) with the same plodding dullness.   It makes me miss the spark of Molly/Tolman from S1 so much. 

But to be fair, the main problem with this episode was the break from the other characters, location, central story and pacing.  That's much more of a showrunner choice than the specific writing/portrayal of one character. 

We did get another reminder that "this is just a story". 

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Ep 3 was so fucking dull and destroyed the momentum and energy of the season.  Terrible choice by the showrunner.  Why has everyone been clamoring for Carrie Coon?  Her character is so dull.  And she veers between competence (parenting, searching Ennis' home for an intruder) and numb stupidity (leaving her suitcase outside, expecting a patrolman to just volunteer to run a search on someone) with the same plodding dullness.   It makes me miss the spark of Molly/Tolman from S1 so much. 

But to be fair, the main problem with this episode was the break from the other characters, location, central story and pacing.  That's much more of a showrunner choice than the specific writing/portrayal of one character. 

Wow I could not agree more. Easily my least favorite episode of Fargo ever. Best parts of this season involve the Stussy brothers, an whole episode without them was a terrible choice imo. 

You guys seem to be in the minority as far as hating it. All the reviews I've seen are raving about this one. I didn't particularly love it, but I didn't hate it either. And the reason people were clamoring for Carrie Coon (in this thread it was probably mostly me) is because she's the best actress on tv, imo. I'd probably have to go all the way back to The Sopranos 10 years ago with Edie Falco to find as good a performance as Carrie Coon is on The Leftovers. 

I saw on Collider that it was one of the best Fargo episodes ever before I watched so I was definitely expecting a little more. I don't think it was terrible but don't understand the rave reviews either. Mac's bar scene was awkwardly funny, and slightly disturbing, though. This episode did capture the shallow Hell that many of us picture Hollywood to be.

I didn't hate E3, it had its moments, but I was hoping this would be the one to finally grab me this season.  If I was watching this show for the first time i'd probably have changed the channel and forgotten about it already, this season just hasn't captured my attention nor does it have the strong characters of previous seasons.  Of course i'll keep watching mainly because I have faith that these writers will pull off something satisfying, but it really has been quite lackluster so far.

On May 4, 2017 at 0:27 AM, Astromech said:

"You got kids?" :) Great cameo

Interesting how they tied all of the bits together with MNSKY and Gloria being in another world, aka Hollywood.

Young Thaddeus seemed much too young in 1975 to be the Ennis that was killed in MN.

I was happy once it got back to Eden Valley, though. The setting is so important to the identity of Fargo.

Not only does he look too young but the years don't seem to match. In Hollywood Would you say Thaddeus is at most 30? (He should be 47)That makes him 65 in 2010. The show says Ennis dies at age 82. 

Could be a poor casting choice, or the show runners couldn't add, or there is something stranger going on.

I'm not criticizing. I love the show, but the age thing bothered me.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:34 AM, Freshwater Spartan said:

Not only does he look too young but the years don't seem to match. In Hollywood Would you say Thaddeus is at most 30? (He should be 47)That makes him 65 in 2010. The show says Ennis dies at age 82. 

Could be a poor casting choice, or the show runners couldn't add, or there is something stranger going on.

I'm not criticizing. I love the show, but the age thing bothered me.

Remember that Gloria is getting this story from someone who barely remembers the 70's.  Thaddeus could look like pretty much anyone in a sketchy flashback.

14 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

Remember that Gloria is getting this story from someone who barely remembers the 70's.  Thaddeus could look like pretty much anyone in a sketchy flashback.

Yes Gloria could be describing him as younger since he seemed so naive, an easy mark.   

Also, he published 5 or 6 books, so he may have been around longer before he actually won the award.   Plus when he changed his name, he may have also lied about his age, making up that he was older than he was, so that would be why his obituary listed him as 82, when he was in fact 5 or 10 years younger.

I liked the episode, especially the animated telling of of the the story and I laughed everytime I saw that box in action.

2 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Except we're not seeing an abstract told through a story version of him - Gloria has the newspaper cutting of Ennis/Thaddeus getting his picture taken after the award.

Good point.  My earlier statement of fuzzy-memoried, coked-out 70's starlet (now 20 some odd years sober) is not correct.

All those Santas depressed me.

My favorite episode of the season so far. All of the pieces are coming together. The more Varga screentime the better.  Gloria and Officer Lopez stumbling upon clues was classic Fargo :)

Agreed, best episode of the season so far. The Varga-Emmit interaction and new character Lopez were both great. Michael Stuhlbarg is awesome as Sy Feltz too, he cracks me up everytime he's in a scene. 

What's up with Varga puking? It didn't look like he was making himself so it so maybe it's just a condition.

52 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Agreed, best episode of the season so far. The Varga-Emmit interaction and new character Lopez were both great. Michael Stuhlbarg is awesome as Sy Feltz too, he cracks me up everytime he's in a scene. 

What's up with Varga puking? It didn't look like he was making himself so it so maybe it's just a condition.

Seems like he may be bulimic, which would explain why his teeth are in such bad shape as well.

I chuckled at the writers teasing the cities of season 1 and 2,  Bemidji and Luverne, with the banks new assistant being from Bemidji, and Ray's dog being named Luverne.

Finally got around to watching it, good episode it feels like things are about to spiral out of control.

One thing I don't like is how they're redoing this whole S1 thing of the practical, competent female cop being stifled by the oblivious male superior.

Archived