Fargo 3: not until 2017

Baitac

Finally got to ep 4 over the weekend and really enjoyed it.  The various threads and characters started to converge and the tension increased. 

The bulimia is a weird, whimsical inclusion but works well enough to add some rapacious monstrosity to the wolf/Varga.  The exaggerated doucheyness of the new police/sheriff chief was overdone, but I won't gripe about it too much -- apparently it needs to be reinforced that Gloria is patiently suffering amid a sea of male morons (her new boss and her underling especially).  Having Billy Bob Thornton narrate, explicitly explaining the musical leitmotifs and linking it all to Peter And The Wolf was a fun idea that came off well.  When the style embellishments complement the story, I enjoy them.  The creative whimsy is a big part of the show.

I have a feeling Emmit might get seduced by Varga's promises of huge wealth, mimicking the descent of Lester in S1.

In addition to automatic door sensors, we also saw an automatic hand dryer deny the existence/presence of Gloria.

34 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

In addition to automatic door sensors, we also saw an automatic hand dryer deny the existence/presence of Gloria.

That entire bathroom rejected her, the soap dispenser, water faucet and the hand dryer.

17 minutes ago, Leofric said:

That entire bathroom rejected her, the soap dispenser, water faucet and the hand dryer.

Good catch.  I wasn't watching closely.  I'm falling further into the distraction trap with all TV/movies that I usually have my iPhone in hand as I'm watching.

21 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Finally got to ep 4 over the weekend and really enjoyed it.  The various threads and characters started to converge and the tension increased. 

The bulimia is a weird, whimsical inclusion but works well enough to add some rapacious monstrosity to the wolf/Varga.  The exaggerated doucheyness of the new police/sheriff chief was overdone, but I won't gripe about it too much -- apparently it needs to be reinforced that Gloria is patiently suffering amid a sea of male morons (her new boss and her underling especially).  Having Billy Bob Thornton narrate, explicitly explaining the musical leitmotifs and linking it all to Peter And The Wolf was a fun idea that came off well.  When the style embellishments complement the story, I enjoy them.  The creative whimsy is a big part of the show.

I have a feeling Emmit might get seduced by Varga's promises of huge wealth, mimicking the descent of Lester in S1.

I finally got through the episode and continue to feel disappointed.

The Peter and the Wolf narration / explanation felt lazy, Billy Bob's voice notwithstanding. It was straight out of the LP our music teacher would put on that explained Peter and the Wolf to thick-headed fourth graders. A Fargo audience doesn't need to be led by the nose as to which characters are which.

I'm not sure I've ever seen the words bulimia and whimsical in the same sentence. There's not a whole lot whimsical about bulimia.

The Gloria not triggering automatic doors, faucets, hand dryers running bit is baffling to me.  Also, The Simpsons did it better when Bart sold his soul to Milhouse. Hmmm... maybe Gloria has no soul!

On 5/16/2017 at 8:54 AM, The Wedge said:

The Gloria not triggering automatic doors, faucets, hand dryers running bit is baffling to me.  Also, The Simpsons did it better when Bart sold his soul to Milhouse. Hmmm... maybe Gloria has no soul!

I may be way off but it feels like the  universe echoing her own identity/existential doubt as her career role is replaced/subsumed, her divorce, her son (out-)growing up, maintaining a relationship with alcoholic Ennis so her son will have a male role model and to force some semblance of a family structure.  Her character is downbeat, glum, struggling to remain patient amid great provocation from idiots and never fully participating.  The frustrating/taunting recalcitrant technology is just icing on the cake. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:54 AM, The Wedge said:

I would not put it past the writers of either Fargo or The Leftovers to be in collusion together and the point of it all is that Carrie Coon the actress is spreading herself too thin between the shows.

I'm finally caught up on Fargo, still got 3 episodes of The Leftovers before I'm caught up on that. Fargo is such a fantastic show, each season I think there is no way they can have a villain match up to the one from the previous season, but each time they manage it. Varga is one scary evil and enigmatic man.

1 minute ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Mostly pretty good episode, but the sheriff being against Gloria investigating with all she discovered rang false.

Nucky's brother plays a terrific douche... his default facial expression is a scowl... 

I didn't think Nikki was going to survive that beating... but overall, the level of stupidity on the part of the major characters is a little extreme this season... its like none of them have ever seen a movie... I'm enjoying this season, but its my least favorite of the three.

I almost quit watching when Varga filled the World's Greatest Dad! mug and made Sy drink it.

Unnecessary to tell this story. And just vile.

The key to Malvo was that he was crazy, but in a sort of charming way. He played cat-and-mouse with his victims in a way that I wanted to see how it unfolded.

Varga is just malevolent and cruel. I have no interest in his plot. He's sick.

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Mostly pretty good episode, but the sheriff being against Gloria investigating with all she discovered rang false.

I don't know.  It kind of reminds me of The Wire when McNulty constantly found himself in the doghouse for trying to do the right thing.  I can see why a police chief, who is likely concerned with numbers, wouldn't want to turn an accidental death into a murder.

On 5/14/2017 at 9:24 PM, dooog said:

One thing I don't like is how they're redoing this whole S1 thing of the practical, competent female cop being stifled by the oblivious male superior.

Agree with this. I love Shea Whigham but I can't help but feel he's being wasted so far. 

Caught up with eps 4&5. Both were solid. Still not nearly as into this season as the previous two. 

On 5/19/2017 at 4:17 PM, briantw said:

I don't know.  It kind of reminds me of The Wire when McNulty constantly found himself in the doghouse for trying to do the right thing.  I can see why a police chief, who is likely concerned with numbers, wouldn't want to turn an accidental death into a murder.

Thought the same thing. 

4 hours ago, The Wedge said:

I almost quit watching when Varga filled the World's Greatest Dad! mug and made Sy drink it.

Unnecessary to tell this story. And just vile.

The key to Malvo was that he was crazy, but in a sort of charming way. He played cat-and-mouse with his victims in a way that I wanted to see how it unfolded.

Varga is just malevolent and cruel. I have no interest in his plot. He's sick.

I disagree. The mug thing was disturbing, and vile. But is forcing someone to drink pee really worse than throwing a man to his death for googling your boss's name? or attempting to beat a woman to death to prove a point? 

Also I'm not sure how you figure Malvo wasn't malevolent and cruel. 

Did Varga actually piss in the mug?  It seemed to me like all he did was rub his dick all around inside of it, and then the Russian guy filled it with water and made Sy drink it.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

Did Varga actually piss in the mug?  It seemed to me like all he did was rub his dick all around inside of it, and then the Russian guy filled it with water and made Sy drink it.

I thought he pissed in it. I remember thinking "how deep is this mug." 

Plus if it wasn't piss, why would Sy gag on it so much? 

edit: also "The enemy is at the gates. They're inside the gates! and they're fornicating with our cookware!" was an amazing line that might support your interpretation.

I mean, still pretty disgusting if someone rubs their dick all around in your mug and then forces you to drink something out of it.  And when Sy complained about it later it seemed like all he said was that Varga rubbed his unmentionables in it or something like that.  Don't remember the exact wording.  I don't think he ever mentioned Varga pissing in it, and the angle seemed all wrong too as Varga moved the mug around a lot like he was just trying to touch every inch with his dick.

Archived