Fargo 3: not until 2017

Baitac

That opening reminded me more of Magnolia than any Coen Brothers film. I do enjoy the ongoing theme of "truth." 

But I agree with the general sentiment that this season so far is lacking compared to the others. Still probably better than most of what's on tv, but it's missing something. I think the plotting is fine so far, but there was something about the first season especially that's hard to put into words. Like it was almost fun in a twisted way. The plot was strong but it was the way they presented it that really made the show special. Plus of course the performances, but I don't think acting is the problem here.

11 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Varga's downfall is that he's so obviously sleazy he can't hide it not even when he should. Think of how Malvo would have treated Gloria, for example- she might have been able to see through him, but he surely would have hidden it much better.

Is Varga Jakob Ungerleider, the guy from the opening of episode 1? 

On May 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Which character did Salome Sandwich play?  I remember her on the board. 

Yes to this, Baitac plz share this cool info.

On May 24, 2017 at 10:49 PM, Nictarion said:

The scene in Emmet's office between Gloria and Varga was pretty good. 

Yeah that was some great nuance between Gloria and Varga, the look of distrust Gloria had you could just see her "red flag" up at the sight of Thewlis, sort of a keen distrust immediately.

The scene where- 

Spoiler

Ewen M. is playing both a brother bleeding out and a brother watching that brother bleed, out was also kind of unique when you think of it as well.

Regarding earlier posts discussing the differences between season 1,2&3, I can only call season 1&2 a tie where I loved them both. Season 3 hasnt yet risen to their level but its still entertaining for me. S3 could still deliver some "WOW" factor so i’m still going be viewing it through.

Eta- Totally embarrased that I didnt realize BBT was narrating, love me some P&tW!!:D

I had to laugh when Ray wouldn't take the stamp after all that...such a baby. Very surprising ending and thought he would last until the end though. Pretty decent episode. Agree that Varga's arrogance will be his downfall too. 

Anyone else getting excited for Snowfall from the commercials? It looks good.

Snowfall trailers have indeed caught my eye.  Definitely looks worth a watch. 

Ray fell from lovable loser to just loser as he rejected the stamp.  Of course it was just envy and resentment all the time, but he kept saying it was the principal.  Ennis came off a lot better by making the gesture, even if he has already been seduced by Varga's dangling carrot.  

If Gloria just goes back to Ray's apartment now and lucks into finding a fresh homocide scene, it will feel like her progress has been too much driven by luck -- it was her colleague from the bathroom who noticed the Stussy name connection on Ennis' murder (IIRC).  

There Might Never Be Another Season of ‘Fargo’

Not really as alarming as the headline makes it sound. They're basically just saying FX won't rush into a new season or proceed without Hawley. Interesting that he says this season is thematically different. I assume he's talking about all the technology/social media commentary this season. 

There may never be another Fargo. Unless [creator Noah Hawley] has an idea for Fargo that he thinks he can make as good as the prior three. I think once people get to the end of this [season] they will find that it is thematically different. It’s really about the moment we live in now.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:52 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Which character did Salome Sandwich play?  I remember her on the board. 

She's the one who says "I heard drugs." Watching this commercial makes me miss this show. Just not the same. :(

While it's not been as gripping and entertaining as seasons 1 and 2, I'm still enjoying this season. However, my reaction to Ray and Emmitt Stussy has only been tepid. I'm not entirely engaged in them as characters or their rivalry. I do love Varga and Nikki, though.

Mr. Wrench :)

A slower episode, but I liked it. Gloria's struggle against the bureaucratic red tape, the juxtaposition of Nikki and Gloria's literal and figurative imprisonment.

25 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Yuri's in trouble, he's a talker, using his ongoing spiel about how nasty it was in Mother Russia to confuse and frighten his victims, so a deaf man is kryptonite.

It would be great were Mr. Wrench and Mr. Numbers  plants by the Fargo mob to thwart Varga.

16 hours ago, Astromech said:

It would be great were Mr. Wrench and Mr. Numbers  plants by the Fargo mob to thwart Varga.

Well, Numbers is dead. As far as we know so is the Fargo mob. Though I'm sure someone moved in to fill that void. Anyway I'd rather it was just a coincidence. 

Odd place to end the episode. It seems clear Wrench will thwart Yuri, but even if it goes the other way that seems like an odd break point. Anyway hopefully next week we get Molly on the trail of the escaped Mr. Wrench. I wouldn't be surprised if next weeks episode opens with Molly finally re-apprehending Mr. Wrench and then leads into him being put on that bus and goes from there. 

The new chief has to be on the payroll for the baddies. And I get that he most likely is not, but him being so adamant against seeing a pattern is just a little too much to accept otherwise.

He really is almost comically, obstinately, obtuse.  Which definitely either means something, or nothing, on this show.  Could be he's obstructing for some nefarious end, or he's just another uber-archetype.  I tend towards the latter, though.  New Chief has been a consistent ass towards Gloria since long before she was investigating anything that might compromise anyone of influence.

Finally saw last week's episode.  More improbably obtuse behavior from Gloria's boss, and plain stupidity from her underling, just to make it clear that she's the common sense hero.  I didn't like that the officer guarding the prisoners/suspects in custody was portrayed as some unthinking robot of the bureaucracy.  American TV and movies have a long love affair with maverick cops but I think we may have lost some tolerance for police breaking due process or violating the chain of custody.  Access to prisoners/suspects is restricted for their protection and to avoid mistrials, not to thwart the plucky cop whose instincts demand they break the rules.  The show was conveniently quiet on how the assassin and Gloria suddenly had access to Nikki despite earlier showing us the tight security.

Was Mr. Wrench the guy on the prisoner transfer bus?  I didn't recognize him so I was wondering why the camera lingered on his face.

7 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Was Mr. Wrench the guy on the prisoner transfer bus?  I didn't recognize him so I was wondering why the camera lingered on his face.

Yeah.

The new chief has got to be corrupt in my mind - like yeah there's not wanting to buy into what seems like a tall tale but then there's just shouting down everything and somehow believing that Nikki managed to sneak that massive fuck off big syringe in and that the Camera just happened to cut out.

Plus surely he must have bumped into the fake cop on his way in there was like 2 seconds between the guy running out and the chief coming in 

Archived