The HS playing Margery

I don't think it's the case that either one of this pair is underestimating the other. BUT in this Olenna situation, HS definately has the upper hand. That is, by informing Marge about his plans for Olenna, he gained 2 things. Firstly, he found out about her allegiance and that she's likely faking it, and secondly, he got Olenna out of absolute safety for a while. All while Marge got nothing from it.

Think about it, he was absolutely not in power to get Olenna out of the castle walls, or into the cell. So his threat was an empty one. May I remind you, even though Tommen is acting like he's all for the faith now, Marge can change that within a minute, so it's not like he could order to let the faith take her.

What Marge did, fulfilled HS goals one way or another. If he is indeed planning to capture Olenna, she only helped him. She will be more vulnerable during the journey than in the Castle. If he was planning to get Olenna out of the picture, she also helped him, as I suppose QoT potential influence on situation in KL is limited when she's not there.

Marge will win anyway, but GG, well played, HS :D

4 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

That was the title of the first of seven volumes though, so there's no reason for it continuing to be relevant in GRRM's saga.

I don't know, I see the point you're making but I think it will be still be central to the story. At least until it gets destroyed anyway (if that is what happens).

11 hours ago, The Dames do Moan said:

Yeah, I'm not sure he was "testing" Marge either, he's to smart to believe in a full conversion but as long as she's doing what he likes he can use that.

i think it was more of him "playing" her, knowing she hasn't fully converted. He wants to weaken the major houses in KL, well besides arguably Marg, Ollena is probably the Tyrell's best asset inside KL. And with her grandchildren in the hands of fanaticals she has absolutely no reason to leave. So he tells Marg she is in danger, knowing Marg hasn't fully converted and will run to Ollena and get her to leave. It's another strong chess piece for team Tyrell off the board and out of KL in one of, if not the only, way he actually could have gotten her out of the city without giving something up.

This is the part I don't get. Why wouldn't she still tell Olenna to leave if she believed her to be in danger whether she was fully converted or not? The Faith wanted her out of KL, so asking her to leave would be consistent with the wishes of the Faith.

1 hour ago, Ser Hyle said:

This is the part I don't get. Why wouldn't she still tell Olenna to leave if she believed her to be in danger whether she was fully converted or not? The Faith wanted her out of KL, so asking her to leave would be consistent with the wishes of the Faith.

She can either leave willingly for high garden or they can make her "leave" by throwing her in a cell.

I think that the HS told Margaery that Lady Olenna was in danger specifically so that Margaery would try to get her out of KL. The HS is isolating Margaery and Tommen from their families. Hence the reason he convinced Tommen to have Jaime leave KL. He wants to remove any outside influences on them so he can control them more. Next he gets rid of Cersei. I think he will refuse her trial by combat because he knows he can't beat her that way when she has the Mountain on her side. When he calls her to trial she will "choose violence". 

10 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

^ You're assuming the QoT will leave for Highgarden. I don't think she will, at least as long as Loras in still held. I don't anticipate her seeing out this season.

Me neither, but in the last episode she said her goodbyes to Margie and told Cersei quite clearly that she is leaving. I can't quite imagine that she could just suddenly change her mind. And if she were to, why would any of these scenes take the precious screen time?

20 hours ago, Sigrid said:

I don't really think that HS was testing Margaery like warning Oleanna was a secret. I think it was a straight up threat and Marge took him seriously (rightly so I'd say)

I agree. His threat was very open. Margaery should know by know how the world of the HS works. If she was not supposed to warn Olenna, why would she have done so openly, knowing that Septa Umella would report it? She would have found a secret way to so (just like the rose note).

Everyone thinks that the HS is winning because he got Olenna out of KL.

The thing is, Margaery and Olenna know what they're doing. Olenna won't just leave for Highgarden and wait for Marg and Loras to do everything by themselves as everyone else thinks, and the HS prolly thinks that as well.

She has a plan and it will most likely have to do something with Dorne. She will leave, but not for Highgarden.

Having her in KL is a waste anyway because an Olenna clone(Marg) is already there. She pretty much taught Margaery, who by now is close to her when it comes to intelligence if not equals. The Tyrells are much stronger using their wits on different people.

On 6/9/2016 at 4:18 AM, House Cambodia said:

^ You're assuming the QoT will leave for Highgarden. I don't think she will, at least as long as Loras in still held. I don't anticipate her seeing out this season.

i truly hope she DOESN'T. She's too fun to watch.

Or, better yet - we follow her back home. 

Archived