R+L=J v.161

RumHam

1 hour ago, BeeStark said:

Who is Jon's father?

They never mentioned Rhaegar was the father in the Tower of Joy scene

Well, this father needs to be someone that Robert hates so much that he will consider killing this innocent baby. Hmm, who could that be?

1 hour ago, Nami said:

They want a sex scene between Lyanna and Rhaegar plus him kneeling down, kissing her belly and saying "Jon Snow, you are my son".

Exactly.

13 minutes ago, aikojai said:

Lyanna was missing for over a year . Jon was conceived months into the war . That insane monster is not Jon's father .

maybe Rhaegar used the "pull out" technique or they didn't have sex until they got to know each other more. 

12 minutes ago, BeeStark said:

maybe Rhaegar used the "pull out" technique or they didn't have sex until they got to know each other more. 

I think the poster meant Aerys as the insane monster. Lyanna was missing for a year so only Rhaegar could be the father (if you count out Arthur and Ossie).

5 hours ago, Nami said:

They want a sex scene between Lyanna and Rhaegar plus him kneeling down, kissing her belly and saying "Jon Snow, you are my son".

A sex scene with the Lord's Kiss would answer a lot of questions!

I am thinking Jaehaerys, Ned would have just shortened and changed it to avoid suspicion. I believe Rhaegar also had a grandfather named it so it might be a fit since if I remember correctly a lot of the recent lore regarding the prince who was promised occurred with Jaeharys around as told in the prophecy by the woods witch/ Ghost of High heart.

26 minutes ago, Charles Stuart said:

I am thinking Jaehaerys, Ned would have just shortened and changed it to avoid suspicion. I believe Rhaegar also had a grandfather named it so it might be a fit since if I remember correctly a lot of the recent lore regarding the prince who was promised occurred with Jaeharys around as told in the prophecy by the woods witch/ Ghost of High heart.

However, the way GRRM had Jon surrounded by Aemons in the story, is also worth to consider.

Aemon The Dragonknight Targaryen - born a royal prince

Maester Aemon - born a royal prince

Aemon Steelsong Rayder - born a royal prince to the freefolk

Declaring to himself that... "I am no Aemon Targaryen" is very GRRM.

2 hours ago, IceFire125 said:

However, the way GRRM had Jon surrounded by Aemons in the story, is also worth to consider.

Aemon The Dragonknight Targaryen - born a royal prince

Maester Aemon - born a royal prince

Aemon Steelsong Rayder - born a royal prince to the freefolk

Declaring to himself that... "I am no Aemon Targaryen" is very GRRM.

:agree:As with many issues, this issue has been discussed many times before. The leading theories for Jon's original name either is Viserys (or some other variation of Visenya) or Aemon. As between the two theories, I find the Aemon theory more convincing.

Ned likely names the boy Jon in honor of Jon Arryn. I doubt Ned was merely trying to shorten the original Targ name.

7 hours ago, Chib said:

That does not change the fact Jon MIGHT have a Targ name. 

It might be a fact? Well it's not a fact it's speculation. It's very unlikely that an author changes the name of one of the most recognizable names in fantasy fiction history, after holding it for over 2 decades. It's like changing Harry Potter to Gilbert Barkley, pointless.

I see it all the time on the boards, it's a fact maybe. Fact, Sansa might have magical powers even greater than the Night's King and it's a fact she might ride a Dragon as well and stop the Others and save the world because that's what some Sansa fans want. So not a fact, pure speculation that tries to ignore what the author tells you.

People love to throw out the word fact without any actual facts or support. At best his last name changes, and that is even if he chooses to adopt it.

Now lets say you did give him a Targ name, it should be Daemon. Not another friggin Aegon or Aemon. You have the symbolism of the Gods eye battle with the original Daemon, and the connection to Harrenhal.

Second Daemon funny enough had his mother Daena who was very Lyanna like and of course his supposed father Aegon IV who was very Robert like. Now of course Daena will be locked away in a tower, like Lyanna. But it was 3 women instead of one. But that's Martin inversion isn't it? Just like Baelor is an inversion of the made king, they are juxtaposed. It's no different with Aegon who is essentially Robert, Martin just inverted the families, you may as well call him Robert Targaryen. Now one of the things he is connected too is? Love triangles.  Aemon and Toyne. Now funny enough count his suspected bastards and you will get a total of 16. And how many bastards was Robert said to have had? Why 16.

Now Daemon, the bastard of Daene, was of course the famed Blackfyre and inversion of the Targaryen house, who wielded his bastard sword Blackfyre. And who is he tied too? Daenerys Targaryen, and what are both marked with? Water, for Daemon it was his bastard name, and for Daenerys the Water Gardens were built for her. 

Now it is not the exact same story, but you can see how Martin drops little clues. Different but the same. You can do a lot with parallels by messing with the symbolism, which he often does.

Jon is Jon but if he did have a Targaryen name he would be a Daemon. And there is also the matter of that name. What does Jon essentially stand between? The Others and the humans. That's his job, it's literally in the description. Essentially gods and Humans, and it fits even better if he is brought back to life, especially if it is fire related. And of course Bloodraven is in the picture when it comes to Jon, and Bloodraven was very much tied too Daemon.

That said any Other that would change the name of a primary POV after more than 2 decades would not be a very good author. There are plenty of Daemons and Aegons, and Aemons, and other common Targ names, but there is only one Jon Snow. And the only thing that changed about Daemon was his last name.

7 hours ago, BeeStark said:

yeah, ned could've given him the name Jon but Lyanna might've given him another

Ned did name him (confirmed by GRRM) after his mentor, Jon Arryn.  Which is clearly not something that Rhaegar and Lyanna would name their son.  So Jon's true name is unknown at this point...however, my guess is Aemon.  There are clues..."I'm no Aemon Targaryen" and the fact that Jon loved pretending to be Aemon the dragonknight as a boy.  Really, though, I'm more interested to see if his last name is "Targaryen", as it would mean that he is actually legitimate.

As far as "GRRM would never change his name", I disagree.  Many people have their given names and then have nicknames...I myself have a given name that no one has ever called me.  Doesn't change who I am, and it wouldn't mean that Jon would go by "Aemon".  I could see it being a King George situation, where it becomes his official name, but everyone still calls him Jon.

3 minutes ago, Rhaegar the Monstrous said:

Rhaegar also constitutes as an insane monster

How? We don't even know his whole story. 

And insane really? With ice zombies, dragons, and all kinds of things rising insane is what you associate with Rhaegar? 

Archived