Valyrian Steel Armor

MostlyMoody

On 6/8/2016 at 0:30 PM, MostlyMoody said:

So how about that Euron's valyrian steel armor? Did anyone call this happening in the past forums? Not Euron specifically but I don't think I've heard armor theories.

As to the plot relevance, I have a feeling Euron will get engulfed in Dragon-fire probably on Danny's orders and to the surprise of everyone involved come out unscathed. Also what do you guys think will be the relevance of this item in the future, presuming Euron dies at some point. I don't expect it to be any more important or plot-crucial than any of the other Valyrian steel swords and such, but someone's gotta wear it.

Also - literal plot armor.

I'm not sure armor would work like that. He'd need to be wearing something flame retardant, not something made out of metal that convects the heat straight from the flames to his meaty backside.  If a dragon were to try to take a chomp out of him, it might chip their teeth, though.

People keep saying it would protect from dragon fire, but suits of armor don't cover every single inch of your body, there are joints that are exposed, the slit in the visor for the person to see. I also don't think it would completely protect the person inside from the heat. The armor might not melt but the wearer could still be cooked inside it.

2 hours ago, Olorin81 said:

People keep saying it would protect from dragon fire, but suits of armor don't cover every single inch of your body, there are joints that are exposed, the slit in the visor for the person to see. I also don't think it would completely protect the person inside from the heat. The armor might not melt but the wearer could still be cooked inside it.

Not the armor itself, but perhaps there is magic in the glyphs that would provide protection against dragonfire. Probably wouldn't protect against sustained dragonfire, but might protect against short exposures. That is, it might protect you long enough to let you get clear of dragonfire, assuming you're trying to dodge.

On 05/07/2016 at 5:59 AM, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

The VS armor makes me think Euron really did visit Valyria, but how did he manage to return when others couldn't? If there's a safe way to traverse the Smoking Sea, who could have taught Euron about it? Perhaps the Faceless Men, if they really did cause the Doom. I wonder if Euron is working more closely with the Faceless Men than we expected: The dragon egg to kill Balon may not be the extent of their transactions.

Maybe he did get the VS Armor first and used it to manage a Valyria summer trip.

Just a shot in the dark. pure speculation of course, but it is a reasonable explanation for what we know until now.

Presuming Euron's Valyrian armor, regardless of its range of possibilities (just light & easy all the way to fireproof/optimal against WW) is still better than normal steel armor any day, any ideas on how it would be taken from Euron and who it might end up with to aid the fight against the WW? We're all thinking Jon, I guess, but no idea how it would get into his hands when he's not particularly near Ironborn, nor anyone else who might obtain and put it to good use. Sam, mayhaps?

And yes, I mean a modified version of the armor is possible, since you'd have to fit it to reasonable size for a new owner (breastplate stretcher, anyone?) Qohorik Smiths are obviously good but we also do still have Tohbo Mott, Gendry's master in KL who reforged Ice, as one of the few smiths in Westeros who can work with Valyrian Steel. He was of course trained in Qohor.

11 hours ago, rhoynestar said:

Presuming Euron's Valyrian armor, regardless of its range of possibilities (just light & easy all the way to fireproof/optimal against WW) is still better than normal steel armor any day, any ideas on how it would be taken from Euron and who it might end up with to aid the fight against the WW? We're all thinking Jon, I guess, but no idea how it would get into his hands when he's not particularly near Ironborn, nor anyone else who might obtain and put it to good use. Sam, mayhaps?

And yes, I mean a modified version of the armor is possible, since you'd have to fit it to reasonable size for a new owner (breastplate stretcher, anyone?) Qohorik Smiths are obviously good but we also do still have Tohbo Mott, Gendry's master in KL who reforged Ice, as one of the few smiths in Westeros who can work with Valyrian Steel. He was of course trained in Qohor.

That's a really interesting thing to bring up.   I am either remembering or misremembering an SSM wherein GRRM refuses to say if Gendry knows how to work VS.   At any rate, we do have characters right there in Westeros who understand the properties of this material.  

On 7/17/2016 at 6:36 AM, rhoynestar said:

Euron most likely looses possession through one of two ways - it's stolen while he's taken it off or it's taken off of his corpse.

• 2 weeks later...

That Valyrian steel armor can definitely be trouble.

It is stated in The Forsaken that Euron wears it "as easily as if it was the thinnest silk". So it is definitely very light.

We know that Valyrian steel is also exceptionnaly durable, so far I've never heard of a broken or even blunted Valyrian sword personally.

We know that Valyrian steel can resist the blades of the Others (Jon at Hardhome) whereas regular blades of other materials will shatter after exchanging a few swings (very first chapter of the first book).

I don't see what the point would be in Dragonsteel not being Valyrian steel especially with GRRM going through the trouble of having Jon suppose it is Valyrian steel just to point us that way when it was already an obvious hypothesis. So I think it's safe to assume that Valyrian steel has the same properties as obsidian (and dragonbone) when coming into contact with Others or Wights (Oups a puddle,  didn't see you there :) ).

So I think it is safe to say that it would be of tremendous help in a regular fight (speed and durability, is Valyrian steel shock-absorbent?). His armor is a scale armor so we can imagine it may not cover is whole body and there may be small interstices where a blade like Arya's Needle could fit into.

Against the Others, well they may get some allergies which cause excessive transpiration if they get close enough to touch it and it can stop their blades where any other armor would presumably shatter after a few hits. So it's pretty useful.

Against a dragon I'm for the theory that whether it is fireproof or not it won't stop him being cooked in it and suffocating.

There is one true mystery when it comes to this armor which is the glyphs's purpose. Since they are Glyph's on an armor I would imagine that they either provide further protection or enhance/provide certain abilities or both. Maybe true fireproofness, eh :) .

Whatever the case I don't imagine Euron surviving to the end of the story, so one way or another it will fail to protect him at some point anyway...

The first time I heard about Valyrian Steel blades, I didn't understand why there wasn't any armor.

I think the First Men having the name Dragonsteel is a hint that "Valyrian Steel" predates Valyria.  Incorporating the 2 moon theories, Dawn came from a white asteroid and Valyrian Steel all the black oily stone from the moon (hence why VS is almost black).  Comets were sometimes thought as dragons, so calling steel forged from comet could be seen as steel from dragons, Dragonsteel.  If obsidian is fire made solid, then it is possible the burning comet falls along a similar line of importance (probably more).  Dawn may not actually do anything in the story but act as a reference to what, why, where Dragonsteel/Valyrian steel comes from.  We know Dawn comes from a comet and it very similar to VS, so VS might also come from the sky.

There are runes on the Royce armor, but they apparently don't do anything.

1 hour ago, NorthernXY said:

The first time I heard about Valyrian Steel blades, I didn't understand why there wasn't any armor.

I think the First Men having the name Dragonsteel is a hint that "Valyrian Steel" predates Valyria.  Incorporating the 2 moon theories, Dawn came from a white asteroid and Valyrian Steel all the black oily stone from the moon (hence why VS is almost black).  Comets were sometimes thought as dragons, so calling steel forged from comet could be seen as steel from dragons, Dragonsteel.  If obsidian is fire made solid, then it is possible the burning comet falls along a similar line of importance (probably more).  Dawn may not actually do anything in the story but act as a reference to what, why, where Dragonsteel/Valyrian steel comes from.  We know Dawn comes from a comet and it very similar to VS, so VS might also come from the sky.

There are runes on the Royce armor, but they apparently don't do anything.

I completely agree regarding Dragonsteel being steel from meteorite ore. I've made the same argument elsewhere, in the past. I also agree that Valyrian steel is likely a derived magical "technology", a descendant of Dragonsteel. What remains to be seen in the books is if it is effectively the same in affecting the Others.

Show spoiler:

Spoiler

Yeah, Longclaw makes short work of the White Walker in the Hardhome episode, but that could just be a shortcut the show runners are taking because they haven't built up Lightbringer or any of this other material, or it could be that Valyrian steel works just as well as obsidian and Dargonsteel. We will see.

Book only speculation on what are the attributes of Valyrian steel armor are

• very light
  • extremely durable

This would give a decided advantage in traditional combat.  Based on the show, we have indications that Valyrian Steel:

• kills Others like dragonglass/obsidian

Tinfoil speculation would be that:

• Valyrian steel armor disrupts magic;
  • Valyrian steel armor amplifies magic; or
  • Valyrian steel acts as heat/fire resistance

Of the three tinfoil options, it's tough to say.  We don't know why dragonglass and dragonsteel kills White Walkers in the books.  Based ont he fact that obsidian was also used as a catalyst for creating the White Walkers, it's probably because this material acts as some kind of conduit/accelerate to the CoTF to create a permanent magical creature.  Then, if you pierce the stable magical state of the magical it reverts to ice cubes.  We've never seen someone use obsidian/dragonsteel against a dragon, so we don't know if it would have the same kind of effect against a more biological magical creature but considering we've never heard of some secret silver bullet against dragons, it's unlikely.

Now, let's put ourselves in the minds of a Valyrian dragonrider.  Why would Valyrian steel/armor be worth the high cost of production?  Aside from their physical properties, which are great, Valyrians don't really need something that just acts to provide heat/fire resistance.  They monopolized dragons, after all.  More useful would be either magic amplification (Valyrian history has many references to a sorceror class that may or may not include the dragonrider elite) or magic disruption, with the former having the same effect as the latter if magic requires a some kind of magical balance that if disrupted, dissipates.  Either a magical amplification and/or magical disruption effect would be very useful to the Valyrians who warred with other civilizations who utilized magic in warfare and help explain why Valyrian steel in general was so expensive and sought after and in particular, why the Valyrians would waste so much Valyrian steel making a suit of armor.  

Of course, Valyrian steel could have just been more of a status symbol (as Valyrian steel is in the present era) where the performance increases are not proportional to the costs.  Thus, the Valyrian armor vs. Valyrian sword/dagger/etc would be like comparing a Rolls Royce to a BMW.  

• 4 months later...

Hey all, multi year lurker, finally making a post. 

In regards to some who think Jon will end up with the armor (I'm not saying I don't think he will or that it wouldn't be awesome) but iirc, in his dream, he's wearing black armor that he says is made of ice. Clearly VS is not ice forged, so maybe he's wearing a separate suit? 

Hmm, while writing this something occurred to me that maybe answers my question. Is it possible that the suit becomes covered in said ice once the Others attack? Maybe offering him some protection against the impossible cold the Others bring with them? Seems like a bit of a stretch though, but not as much of a stretch that the armor can somehow make him fire proof. Seems like the armor would be more effective against ice/cold rather fire/heat. 

On 7/5/2016 at 9:09 AM, Masha said:

Because Ruins of Valyria been described as unsurvivable. Its described as full of smoke made out of unbreathable vapor (its a smoldering cauldron  of supervolcano after all), full of demons (??) and mutations. 

I think that Euron is full of it and he didn't actually get there. But plundering remnants of Gerion's ship (perhaps being the cause of its demise too) that I can believe!

I am just not sure that he did visit Valyria, but he certainly visited Qarth warlocks as well as Asshai. Visiting Valyria and gathering treasures is something that warlocks and magic practitioners do on regular basis, Euron might as well have gotten that Valyrian armor from the same source as Dragonhorn.

At this point, I am thinking that Euron's armor is one and only Valyrian armor that we will see and somehow it ends up with Jon Snow. As he dreams about wearing it on the wall.

If even the mystical and ruthless pirate king Euron Greyjoy could not sail into & survive Valyria; then why the hell should the non-pirte, good-natured, Gerion Lannister have fared any better?  That's the one part of the 'Euron stole everything from Gerion' theory that I just don't understand.  If the man who's sailed all of the seas of the known world, used blood magic to aid his Navy, and who sails out of sight of the coast in places where no ironborn had before; can't get there, then what the hell makes people think Gerion could do it and survive to lose all of his loot to Euron?

And as for the bolded, what, what, what!?  We are told that no one has ever visited Valyria and lived since the doom; so what makes you assume that Warlocks & magic practitioners do so on a regular basis?

13 hours ago, cgf said:

If even the mystical and ruthless pirate king Euron Greyjoy could not sail into & survive Valyria; then why the hell should the non-pirte, good-natured, Gerion Lannister have fared any better?  That's the one part of the 'Euron stole everything from Gerion' theory that I just don't understand.  If the man who's sailed all of the seas of the known world, used blood magic to aid his Navy, and who sails out of sight of the coast in places where no ironborn had before; can't get there, then what the hell makes people think Gerion could do it and survive to lose all of his loot to Euron?

And as for the bolded, what, what, what!?  We are told that no one has ever visited Valyria and lived since the doom; so what makes you assume that Warlocks & magic practitioners do so on a regular basis?

It's a diversion from the text in the show, that's probably where he got it.

3 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Really?  I don't remember that in the show, and I was a long standing member of house tv only until a book reader overheard me and an unsullied guessing about R+L=J 3.5 years ago.

2 hours ago, cgf said:

Really?  I don't remember that in the show, and I was a long standing member of house tv only until a book reader overheard me and an unsullied guessing about R+L=J 3.5 years ago.

Spoiler

There is a scene back in the 2nd or 3rd season when they are still in Qarth where Jorah talks to Quaithe and she is putting symbols on a guys body that she says will allow him to sail past valyria, and the last season Tyrion and Jorah sail right through the smoking sea and the only trouble they encounter are stone men.

On ‎05‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 4:16 PM, Anima said:

We know that Valyrian steel can resist the blades of the Others (Jon at Hardhome) whereas regular blades of other materials will shatter after exchanging a few swings (very first chapter of the first book).

You confuse show and book. In the book, Jon Snow never made it to Hardhome.

On 12/13/2016 at 5:52 PM, cgf said:

On 12/14/2016 at 7:42 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Not the show, the bolded section I've got from the books, don't remember which one - most like tWoIaF or ACOK. 

The Ruins of Valyria are described as incredibly dangerous. But after 300 or so years, the dangers might have started to diminish enough that someone with enough will and power and suicidal resolve will get there and survive. Magical practitioners/warlocks have the first two, Gerard had will and suicidal resolve.

My main point was is that I don't believe that Euron is all that he claims to be, he is a scam artist and he is certainly ruthless enough to plunder any easy mark but he is not going to risk his life for mystic treasure. I don't believe that he had enough of will and resolve to risk his life to get to Valyria and face death from uncertain causes. He went to Warlocks perhaps asking to be taught and then turned on them and plundered their treasure and killed off/captured them, same for Gerard. Perhaps Gerard did survive Valyria and got goods from there, on the way back at the periphery of Smoking sea, Euron fell on him and killed him and his crew and stole his Valyrian treasure. Or perhaps, Gerard and his crew where already dead and Euron saw his ship just floating there as an empty Ghost Ship and just stripped it bare.

Archived