Valyrian Steel Armor

MostlyMoody

So how about that Euron's valyrian steel armor? Did anyone call this happening in the past forums? Not Euron specifically but I don't think I've heard armor theories.

As to the plot relevance, I have a feeling Euron will get engulfed in Dragon-fire probably on Danny's orders and to the surprise of everyone involved come out unscathed. Also what do you guys think will be the relevance of this item in the future, presuming Euron dies at some point. I don't expect it to be any more important or plot-crucial than any of the other Valyrian steel swords and such, but someone's gotta wear it.

Also - literal plot armor.

7 hours ago, Durran Durrandon said:

The Valyrian steel armor is on the lowest level of the dungeon at the center of the island of Valyria. It's a rare drop when you kill the greater magma  elementals. It almost  never drops unless you luck score is boosted above 120.

This.  It is known.

Jon has a dream wherein he's dressed in armor that sounds an awful lot like Euron's armor.   I would expect it's magic power lies in defense from ice magic.   Or dragon fire.  TBH I never expected anyone to need protection from dragon fire.  What fun are dragons if they don't work?  I want to know where Bruce Wayne Greyjoy procured this most exquisite suit.   

On 6/8/2016 at 3:30 AM, Rupert Honeybun said:

don't expect it to be any more important or plot-crucial than any of the other Valyrian steel swords and such, but someone's gotta wear it.

No more important than Valyrian Steel swords?   What exactly do you think 12 prized, ancient named swords are in a fantasy story for?  

On 6/10/2016 at 4:13 AM, Curled Finger said:

Jon has a dream wherein he's dressed in armor that sounds an awful lot like Euron's armor.   I would expect it's magic power lies in defense from ice magic.   Or dragon fire.  TBH I never expected anyone to need protection from dragon fire.  What fun are dragons if they don't work?  I want to know where Bruce Wayne Greyjoy procured this most exquisite suit.   

No more important than Valyrian Steel swords?   What exactly do you think 12 prized, ancient named swords are in a fantasy story for?  

If you could link that quote or dream that would be swell. 

Well dragonfire still works on all the other people who aren't wearing that single piece of magical armor.

There are a 100 swords. They are there to be rare magical items but the plot doesn't revolve around them.

On 6/9/2016 at 7:34 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

VS armor is something that has come up many times before, most people didn't seem to think any existed or that if it did it was lost in Valyria.  Seems like Euron probably got it from the worlocks like the dragon horn.

It would make more sense if he got all of his 'magical loot' from Valyria, which would explain his madness. Warlocks are just a bunch of religious fanatics, I don't think they hold any considerable power apart from influence in Qarth.

1 hour ago, Rupert Honeybun said:

Well dragonfire still works on all the other people who aren't wearing that single piece of magical armor.

There are a 100 swords. They are there to be rare magical items but the plot doesn't revolve around them.

This is from The Citadel and is a direct quote from ADWD regarding Jon's dream.  

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again.

It's really interesting that we've had ZERO instances of VS armor prior to this chapter.   If you know of any other mention I would be glad to see it.   As to the 12 named VS swords in Westeros I think we will just have to agree to disagree.   I think these very particular 12 swords are critical to the story.  The plot doesn't yet revolve around them but it's clear that they are important.   I am equally excited and disappointed that so much information has been withheld 5 full novels (not to mention 4 ancessory novels and 2 short stories) into the tale.   TWOW cannot be published soon enough for me.   Euron's armor is a very exciting addition to the VS magic stuff cache . If this armor is the armor Jon will eventually have to wear to protect himself against the Others I really hope GRRM will be more forthcoming with obscure hints and clues if not outright explanations.       

7 hours ago, Rupert Honeybun said:

It would make more sense if he got all of his 'magical loot' from Valyria, which would explain his madness. Warlocks are just a bunch of religious fanatics, I don't think they hold any considerable power apart from influence in Qarth.

Well he got the horn from the worlocks, so whether you think it would be cooler or not it still seems likely he just got all the stuff from them.

1 hour ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Well he got the horn from the worlocks, so whether you think it would be cooler or not it still seems likely he just got all the stuff from them.

I didn't say it would be 'cooler', in fact Euron claims to have gotten it from Valyria and we have no conflicting information on that.

"That horn you heard I found amongst the smoking ruins that were Valyria, where no man has dared to walk but me."

So where are you getting that he got the horn from the Warlocks?

There are only 2 things I know for sure he got from the Warlocks: the Shade of the Evening and information about Daenerys and the dragons.

I think the Valyrian Steel armor is important, but not as important as say Anduril in Lord of the Rings.  It's basically magic armor that effectively makes Euron invincible.  I can't imagine that any lesser weapon would be able to penetrate the armor, and I think it is reasonable to assume that the White Walkers would be ineffective against it as well.

I don't think it would survive a blast of dragon fire.  I don't think Euron will face that though, I have a feeling he is going to wrest control of them from Daenerys.  I can't imagine he would actually just be trusting Victarion with all the information, there must be some trick he has up his sleeve.

My theory is that he didn't find the suit, he's rediscovered how to make Valyrian steel.

Things to consider:

- We now see that Euron has magical power at his disposal beyond anything we've seen other than the Others.

- While Euron is clearly magically talented, Euron clearly seems to be "harvesting" holy men in a way that implies he understands processes by which magic can be harnessed.

- If Euron merely found the suit, wouldn't he flaunt it everywhere? Wouldn't have been some killer fashion to where to the Kingsmoot? 

- More generally we know he is hiding the extent of his magical prowess from the other Ironborn, so it would make sense for him to hide this as well if he simply followed the same logic.

I don't think we need to assume that Valyrian steel has any magic properties other than being somewhat stronger than ordinary steel and lighter. If the suit is somewhat stronger that ordinary plate mail and much lighter, it would give him a huge advantage in combat. There is no reason to assume it is fire proof. Even if it was fire proof, I don't think that would keep him from roasting inside of it, or asphyxiating for that matter. In the books we have no evidence that Valyrian steel has any particular effect against the White Walkers, so I wouldn't assume that it would especially protect someone against their weapons. Sorry to be a bummer.

3 hours ago, Euron's Mom said:

In the books, Sam discovered old writing that the White Walkers can be defeated with "dragon steel", which he and Jon take to mean Valyrian steel.

“Dragonsteel?” Jon frowned. “ Valyrian steel?”

“That was my first thought as well.” [Sam]

So Sam does not exactly endorse that Dragonsteel is Valyrian steel. He says that was his first thought. If Jon didn't pop up with his next question, Sam might have gone on to say something like but this was supposedly over 8 thousand years ago and Valyrian wasn't founded until several. At best,  Valyrian steel is made using the same techniques as dragonsteel, and might have the same effect, but we don't know that yet.

Spoiler

Obviously, in show, they have short-cutted this distinction. But we are talking book cannon here.

18 hours ago, Rupert Honeybun said:

I didn't say it would be 'cooler', in fact Euron claims to have gotten it from Valyria and we have no conflicting information on that.

"That horn you heard I found amongst the smoking ruins that were Valyria, where no man has dared to walk but me."

So where are you getting that he got the horn from the Warlocks?

The app says it, and GRRM approves that stuff.

35 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

The app says it, and GRRM approves that stuff.

What app and where do you get that George approves and proofreads all of it?

I am more inclined to believe the, you know, books that he wrote rather than the app that claims it is approved by the author.

I don't think theories about Valyrian steel being non-magical make much sense. 

We know that Valyria's rise was tied directly to fire & blood magic, so which makes more sense: 

That the Doom also meant you couldn't make Valyrian steel any more due to insufficient magic

or

That the Valyrians also happen to be incredible metallurgists possessing technology far surpassing what Westeros or anywhere else can create centuries later

Before we realized the extent to which magic would permeate this world it wouldn't have been so clear to me, but at this point I'd be very surprised if Valyrian steel doesn't require blood sacrifice of some sort.

10 hours ago, Rupert Honeybun said:

What app and where do you get that George approves and proofreads all of it?

I am more inclined to believe the, you know, books that he wrote rather than the app that claims it is approved by the author.

You can believe whatever you want dude, but don't complain if I correct you on something if your going to ignore other legitimate sources of information.  There is only 1 app and there is lots of information on it, the information that grrm gives in interviews is also valid, unless you think he just go's around lying to people.  Euron got the horn from the warlocks, that's canon.

Even if you ignore outside information you still only have Eurons claim, on the other hand he literally fled the room after being question about actually going there.

On ‎13‎-‎6‎-‎2016 at 4:38 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

You can believe whatever you want dude, but don't complain if I correct you on something if your going to ignore other legitimate sources of information.  There is only 1 app and there is lots of information on it, the information that grrm gives in interviews is also valid, unless you think he just go's around lying to people.  Euron got the horn from the warlocks, that's canon.

Even if you ignore outside information you still only have Eurons claim, on the other hand he literally fled the room after being question about actually going there.

No its not, at several points information on the app was changed after GRRM disapproved of it so it can not be considered canon just like the wiki its just a course of handy information.

Where he got the horn is still an unknown that he got it from the warlocks is speculation by the people behind the app based mostly on euron fleeing the room when questioned on his trip to valyria.

Archived