What's The Hound's Purpose?

[Deleted]

Just now, McAssey said:

I think the Hound is the proxy for Lady Stoneheart.  He and the Brotherhood may be encountering Brienne and/or Jamie very soon.

It was weird, but they focused on the Hound's pissing into the river...I was half expecting a body to pop up, but I knew it wouldn't be Cat since she would be bones by now. But I wonder why they focused on his piss stream in the river; a slight, subtle callback to how LSH was found in the books?

Well, there are other reasons they could have had him show his penis, just saying... LSH is not on the show, they are not going there. Sandor's story is about his own story. LSH is not fighting the cold winds rising in the north. But Sandor will in the books, too. They are using the BWB as a plot device for Sandor. That means he's the important one here.

Sandor is the one they brought back, with much fanfare. Sandor. So they must have a reason. Who is up north? Sansa. And interestingly enough, she was on his mind when he was dying, the pretty sister, his one happy memory would be to be with her... could be he is with her one day. He loves her, they have shown that pretty clearly. Over and over again.

(But he does need a good sword... "Valyrian steel. I always wanted some Valyrian steel.")

21 minutes ago, Ludo Kressh said:

It was weird, but they focused on the Hound's pissing into the river...I was half expecting a body to pop up, but I knew it wouldn't be Cat since she would be bones by now. But I wonder why they focused on his piss stream in the river; a slight, subtle callback to how LSH was found in the books?

I'd say it was a not so subtle callback to how Cat was found in the streams. Instead of a direwolf at the river, it was a Hound, and the D's made him piss on the LSH idea for viewers to get a clue. But, that's just my take on it ;)

Yeah, it's quite obvious to me too that the BwB is heading north. They don't care about the wars between noble houses, they care about the smallfolk, and they follow the Red God. So it makes sense that they would take the WW threat seriously.

We don't have many seasons left so I think we are soon going to see all the storylines merging into two main arcs: the "ice" one (WW) and the "fire" one (dragons). So a lot of characters are going to be reunited,

I wouldn't be surprised if Sansa and Sandor meet up again. Beside Jaime/Brienne, they are the only interesting/believable couple in GoT/ASOIAF in my opinion.

I agree with the fact that Sandor is harboring "romantic" feelings towards Sansa. Can't say the same for her, but I spotted a lot of "Little Bird" references (like Sansa picking up the feather in the crypts). So we'll see. I don't want any of them to die in some heroic/tragic fashion, and I don't want to them to end up "happily married with a lot of children" either.

So I'm stuck. Don't know what to think.

Loved the Hound scene today.  Just walks up to the group and destroys them.

Not sure where his arc is going though.  

Brienne & Pod are rowing.  Perhaps they meet and Brienne tells him Sansa is alive so he goes with her.  

It looks as though the brotherhood has a higher purpose than just going around the Riverlands and doing their own thing.  Beric clearly states that their fight is in the north and they need men like Sandor.  My thinking is its pretty clear he doesn't die in the books, and we haven't seen his transformation first hand, we all speculate that he is  with Maribald, so with that being said we simply don't know. However, with all the dialog that we have seen with him and having a higher purpose clearly he has become more important than what we originally thought.  We won't know until it happens.

Many readers think he is important in the books, too. The show didn't tell us anything we didn't already guess. He has a gradual transformation, since book one. He slowly drops the Hound persona, as his story unfolds. He's shown again on the Quiet Isle, and there are hints he still has his fighting spirit. And there are many hints in Sansa's chapters that there's more to come.

1 hour ago, Xarkar said:

Loved the Hound scene today.  Just walks up to the group and destroys them.

Not sure where his arc is going though.  

Brienne & Pod are rowing.  Perhaps they meet and Brienne tells him Sansa is alive so he goes with her.  

Maybe Brienne and Pod will pass Gendry while they are rowing.

I never thought the Hound was unimportant. He's always been quarterback material. Strong, which they've repeatedly emphasized, and no nonsense. He's one of the most believable characters on the show at this point. I hate saying that. Hopefully they won't ruin him too.

He's with the Elder Brother, not Septon Meribald, in the AFfC. And based on what the Elder Brother said about him, I've said that he is destined to experience pride in service, joy in victory, to love and be loved, glory.

But that aside, I don't think he's here for the Brotherhood, or here to kill his brother, he's here to make a difference. Perhaps violently, but with the blessing of the gods. All the gods. But not all violence. Because he is becoming a better man. Evolving. Shoot, characters evolve . . . and that's scary for this show too, because most of them are so stagnant.

But he was listening at the end of the scene with the Beric and Thoros. And Beric and Thoros are dead, imo. They're there to get Sandor from A to B.

Sandor to the North. Yes, that would be where he can help the Starks. And most importantly, protect Sansa. That's what he wanted to do. That's what he'll end up doing. He loves her. She loves him in the books, he's her touchstone character. So eventually they will meet up.

Archived