Aerys' city of white marble

Just a thought, but one of Aerys' schemes was to rebuild the city of King's Landing on the south bank of the Blackwater as a replacement for King's Landing.

I've seen a few theories which state that King's Landing would be destroyed by Dany, Ceresi or someone else, usually involving those caches of wildfire still hidden beneath the city. After the city burns to the ground, the new ruler could see towards rebuilding the city, perhaps in a new spot. In which case Aerys' city might have been more prophecy then scheme.

Thoughts?

I've juggled the idea that Kings Landing might be "charred bones and cooked meat" (to quote Aerys himself) before the series ends, but who knows whether there'll be a replacement built before the end or even at all? In any case, I think Aerys white marble city is a more a sign of his delusions of grandeur and hubris than anything else. It very much reminded me of Elaida's plans to build a bigger White Tower in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (for those who haven't read it, Elaida may not be as mad as Aerys, but she's equally arrogant and hubristic) or Hitler's plans to build Germania, his world capital, after WWII (which was essentially going to be a hodge podge of gargantuan imitations of world monuments such as the Arc d'Triomphe).

This is an interesting idea: perhaps Aerys had dragon-dreams that he was unable to comprehend as prophecies and instead saw as ideals to strive for:

• A new Wall a hundred leagues north of the existing one: a reference to the original Wall falling?
  • City of white marble: you've covered that.
  • 'Bring the Titan to his knees': pretty obvious - Braavos will fall.
  • 'Make the Dornish deserts bloom': slightly trickier to interpret. It could be something to do with the climatic impact of the second Long Night, with sea current changes cooling the Dornish coast and bringing wetter air inland. If the Broken Arm closed up again (somehow) the Stormlands might lose a lot of their rains to Dorne.

Alternatively, these were all just mad ideas that Aerys had, as they appear to be. But anything to while away the time until Winds, eh?

4 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

This is an interesting idea: perhaps Aerys had dragon-dreams that he was unable to comprehend as prophecies and instead saw as ideals to strive for:

• A new Wall a hundred leagues north of the existing one: a reference to the original Wall falling?
  • City of white marble: you've covered that.
  • 'Bring the Titan to his knees': pretty obvious - Braavos will fall.
  • 'Make the Dornish deserts bloom': slightly trickier to interpret. It could be something to do with the climatic impact of the second Long Night, with sea current changes cooling the Dornish coast and bringing wetter air inland. If the Broken Arm closed up again (somehow) the Stormlands might lose a lot of their rains to Dorne.

Alternatively, these were all just mad ideas that Aerys had, as they appear to be. But anything to while away the time until Winds, eh?

That's an interesting take, I like it. 

Curiously, Cersei also has a dream about a new beautiful city across the river in Feast. Coincidence or evidence for A + J = C & J?

The reason Aerys thought of this in the first place was because he couldn't stand the stench and degradation of King's Landing so he wanted to build himself a new city, one that appeals to his liking. But the fact is it doesn't matter if he had built a city out of marble, gold or concrete. Eventually overpopulation will once again lead to squalor and all the shit that comes with it.

Just now, Lost Melnibonean said:

I could see a dragon or three raising King's Landing, but wildfire? Didn't Tyrion use up all the hidden wildfire? 

No Aerys put hidden caches all over the city. Tyrion may have only taken a fraction of Aerys's entire supply.

14 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I could see a dragon or three raising King's Landing, but wildfire? Didn't Tyrion use up all the hidden wildfire? 

Not to mention any wildfire that didn't get used in the attack.

18 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

That's an interesting take, I like it. 

Curiously, Cersei also has a dream about a new beautiful city across the river in Feast. Coincidence or evidence for A + J = C & J?

I personally don't like that theory, but feel free to use this as evidence!

i think its just a hint to the Mad Queen theory:

“Even if Tyrion were still hiding in the castle, he won’t be in the Tower of the Hand. We’ve reduced it to a shell.”

“Would that we could do the same to the rest of this foul castle,” said Cersei. “After the war I mean to build a new palace beyond the river.” She had dreamed of it the night before last, a magnificent white castle surrounded by woods and gardens, long leagues from the stinks and noise of King’s Landing. “This city is a cesspit.

(...)

In 265 AC, offended by “the stink of King’s Landing,” he spoke of building a “white city” entirely of marble on the south bank of the Blackwater Rush.

On 6/11/2016 at 1:45 AM, Maester of Valyria said:

This pretty much sums up my feelings on most of the theories on this website, and I have to agree with you. Anything....I just need anything, until Winds comes out. 

21 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

This pretty much sums up my feelings on most of the theories on this website, and I have to agree with you. Anything....I just need anything, until Winds comes out. 

We junkies need our fix, and the drug is running dry...

Archived