Dark Horse for iron throne

1 hour ago, CJ McLannister said:

Is Littlefinger considered a dark horse?

I really think Jaime will "sit the throne" (again), but not as king.  Possibly after he's committed another act of regicide.

In universe, sure LF can be a dark horse. Almost everyone dismisses him with the exception of Varys and Tyrion.

1 hour ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Aegon Targaryen/Blackfyre. Let's see Bittersteel's efforts finally pay off.

Lol not trying to kill ya here but for someone who is "the son of Rhaegar" and has taken various castles 1 of which that is nothing short of a major stronghold in the whole realm (understatement), it's hard to say they are a dark horse.

2 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

In universe, sure LF can be a dark horse. Almost everyone dismisses him with the exception of Varys and Tyrion.

Yes but the thread is for the readers who know more than the characters. Eventually even cersei will be like "hey LF is a lord paramount who hasn't even been in his own castle yet and is choosing to stay in his widows husbands seat who fell out of a hole onto a mountain weeks after LF got there. Do you think he's up to something?" Robert strong answers her with "grrrr" 

2 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

But don't get me wrong EVERYONE overlooked our amiable copper counter from the fingers except the 2 you mentioned. Jamie (I think) and cersei (I know) wanted him back!!!!

So in universe I completely agree not trying to undercut you. 

6 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Who is someone who isn't towards the top of "favorites" to sit the iron throne, that you think has a chance of doing so? 

If you think the Iron Throne will be gone explain your political scenario

What I would like is not what I think will happen.

The King/Queen everyone roots for are either Jon (with Arya as his Queen) or Daenerys (if the law will allow a woman to sit on the throne). As much as it displeases me, (f)Aegon, either true or false, won't survive in the end because otherwhise his storyline would have been included in GoT… unless they plan to make him appear only in season 7 (which I wouldn't mind because I liked the character of Young Griff in the books). Which leaves all the others as 'dark horses'.

I'm rooting for the dark horses, but dark horses hardly win.

The dark horse of my heart is Tyrion. I'd like him to sit on the Iron throne because he's an unlikely candidate and according to the genre stereotypes, the antihero carries the burden throught the story and never gets to win (he dies heroically or as a villain or gets a cookie at the most becoming 'adviser', but usually he dies). It would be past time, imo, that it's not some shining heir (I think Daenerys will die, which leaves Jon) to end up on the throne but somebody else and more suited for politics.

Tyrion King would likely make Sansa Queen (unless they get an annulment), which I wouldn't mind because I think it would be politically smart to unite the Starks and the Lannisters as it happened in real history with the War of the Roses with the marriage between Elizabeth of York and Henry VII, illegittimate discendant of House Lancaster. They didn't marry for love, but ended up loving each other in the long run. Even if the main inspiration for Tyrion were Richard III, Odysseus and Emperor Claudius, the parallelism still works because Henry VII is described as high spirited, intelligent and as a clever reformer as Tyrion is, while Elizabeth is described as red haired, known for being kind to her servants, fond of music and dancing as young Sansa was (now he's also a player in the game).

So that would be my first choice but I'm not confident it will happen... even assuming he hasn't already gotten greyscale, a dwarf doesn't get to become King unless something really big happens.

Plus, many people claim that Arya will be Jon's Queen because of some foreshadowing in the first book, which means Jon will be King and Arya his Queen. Personally I would find this solution banal, cliché and 'fairytale-like': the hero marries the only true love of his life and becomes king and they have kids and rule wisely.

Another dark horse is Sansa, if the Sansa = Elizabeth the 1st parallelism turns out to be at last partially correct (daughter of a traitor, unlikely young candidate that nobody thought would ever sit on the throne because she lacked the claim, red haired young woman, virgin or allegedly so). This solution implies either that Tyrion is already dead / dies after becoming King leaving the crown to the Queen / they got an annullment and parted as friends / Tyrion is her husband but is (only) her consort because her claim is stronger than his and women are allowed to sit on the throne (what I'm suggesting it's like nowadays Prince Philip and Elizabeth the II).

The ultimate dark horse is Littlefinger, of course. He is supposedly low born, has no claim at all, so it's really unlikely, even if he would embody the transition between the old aristocracy and the new classes. I wouldn't particularly like this solution because he's an agent of chaos in the books, he fed the Starks the lies that caused the war with the Lannisters (like having Lisa lie to Catelyn about the murder of Jon Arryn.. so much for 'I loved Catelyn'… or framing Tyrion for Bran's attempted murder) and he acts only for self interests (or creepy love obsessions like 'I love the mother so much that I fed her lies and anyway the mother didn't want me so maybe I can bang the daughter who resembles her'), 'qualities' that would hardly make him a good King, but at least it wouldn't be banal or cliché as an ending and he for sure is intelligent and cunning. Again, this would likely make Sansa Queen, given his interest in her.

Screw it I'll say Tyrion becomes lann the clever.... Of the battle field. Jk but he could be "the commander in chief" Tywin's demeanor/Awareness, Robb's cunning, Stannis/Jon Tactically sound awareness, maybe even Jamie's Inspiration/Contagious Spirit (he showed almost all of the above at blackwater) Tyrion TWOW Spoiler below

Tyrion would have caused major damage to the unsullied with his formation. 

But while he's busy his Wife Sansa will be a serious player/figure/friend after she offs LF after disagreeing with a "business decision"she could unite multiple places, be good and sweet.... We'll call her the good queen 

2 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

That was the only thing I could come up with, but I thought I would get trolled into the ground (again) if I talked about Doran and his brood.

Yall hurt my feelings on that thread Garlan. Your namesake would never condone such bullying.

You know us Reach people can't abide anything Dornish ;)

Speaking darkhorse...

King Rickon Shaggydog Stark and Queen Janei Lannister (of the Appendix lannisters). He is already the King in the North, and by the time Cersei dies she'll have at most one living brother between her and claims on Casterly Rock, Storm's End, and the Iron Throne. Assuming the second Long Night lasts a "generation" they'd be adults in their prime of life when the apocalypse is over and people resume caring about petty things like crowns.

Another vote for Gendry.

Out with the old, and in with the new. Once the old institutions have been destroyed by winter, I predict a United States of Westeros with Gendry as president.

Gendry, because he's the only character with republican tendancies (rude to Ned, doesn't want to shoe m'lady's horse).

Plus, there's no noble house with the sigil of a bull (strange), and Gendry's ready there with his helmet to pick it up. If he's got a sigil he's legitimate. If he's legitimate, he's Robert's heir and might be acclaimed as ruler (especially if everybody else is dead). If he's ruler, he can institute democratic reforms, which would be very popular with the readership. GRRM loves pleasing the readership. QED.

Archived