Since King Aegon IV legitimized his bastards, then shouldn't Daemon Blackfyre's actual name be Daemon Targaryan?

jontargaryan

9 minutes ago, Princess of Dragonflies said:

He chose his name after the Targaryen sword he was given. IIRC, I don't think any of the Great Bastards or any of his bastards for that matter, changed their names.

Exactly. Otherwise Aegor Rivers would have been known as Aegor Targaryen and such. Daemon was proud of the sword, so he stuck to that. Not really sure where Aegor was going with that. Maybe he hoped Bittersteel was going to stick.

37 minutes ago, CJ McLannister said:

Legitimization does not automatically bestow a family name.  Since they were not supposed to be part of the succession, I imagine not giving them the name was very intentional.

I'm quite sure legitimization gives them the right to bear the family name. Whether they choose to change their names or not is up to them. (They probably just didn't want to have to throw out all their monogrammed towels.) Then there's the issue of what other people call them, as we see with Ramsey being called Snow by people despite his legitimization and name change. Most people didn't like Bloodraven, and probably wouldn't have called him Brynden Targaryen even if that was the style he preferred. So it's possible he went down in history as a Rivers even though he considered himself a Targaryen. Though I don't think that was the case, it's just an example.

When you say intentional, intentional by who? The impression I get is that Aegon intended to cause succession problems with his final decree. I don't think Aegon himself said anything like "they are legitimized but may not use the name Targaryen." Some of the Great Bastards themselves may have opted not to use the name in an effort to avoid conflict and make it clear they weren't grasping for power. 

Archived