So did Oberyn actually plan on dying?

I can't really see what Oberyn's plan would've been had he lived at the end of the duel. Other components of Elia's murder still lived. Was he going to continue being in King's Landing to try to kill them too? Or did he actually plan on dying to trigger a casus belli for Dorne to attack the Lannisters? What do you think his plan was?

Oberyn's personality/character is not one that would die on purpose. He took an opportunity to kill Gregor and have no 'legal' repercussions.

Had he won, (he was never going to because that was how the story needed to go) he would have stayed on in KL and been an agitator to Tywin, etc and continued to work towards his revenge for Elia.

There's some versions of the Dornish master plan theory that suggest he might have died on purpose. I personally believe that there's some form of Dornish plan including the Brave Companions etc. However Oberyn dying on purpose seems way too far-fetched to me. Had he lived (as someone already pointed out, he needed to die because plot, but still), he'd have kept working on his revenge. Oh, and by the way, I DO believe that he did indeed poison Tywin.

On 10/06/2016 at 9:00 PM, CJ McLannister said:

Yeah, Gregor was just step 1.  The theories about him poisoning Tywin suggests he may have been working on step 2 at the same time.

Disagree ...sorta

I feel u have the steps backwards ..think about it for a moment

Theres 0 way he could have known tyrion would end up as he did so why go to the wedding? The obvious awnser is to posion tywin, as the man with the most well known motive and reputation for posion hed have been accused 

As the guilt cant be clearly proven he has the right to trial by combat in which case he gets ser gregor , kills him and walks away scott free pissing if the remaining lannisters who decide to retaliate into the waiting dornish forces.....a brutal slaughter later in the boneway and dornes royals have their vengance

22 hours ago, Viserys' alarm clock said:

IIRC he was trying to get Gregor to publicly point to Tywin as giving the order, legitimising future steps against him.

This exactly.  This is why he died: rather than just finishing off the Mountain when he was down, Prince Oberyn kept trying to get him to not just admit guilt, but also admit that he did it under Tywin's orders.  Had he succeeded, it would have been the end of the Lannisters.  I would not believe for a second that Oberyn had any intention to die.  His mistake was he was trying to get too much in one shot and overreached.

No way he poisons Tywin and walks alive from that city,no matter trial or not he will be killed maybe even poisoned himself shortly after or just cut down... In fact i'm surprised the Yronwoods didn't kill him or their ward with a a sickness to the bowels....

Anyway no i don't think he planned for it no one ever does one moment you are here the next you are not.  The guy is just overhyped and impulsive as one can be..    He overreached himself and paid the iron price...

On 10 giugno 2016 at 9:54 PM, Ser Leftwich said:

Oberyn's personality/character is not one that would die on purpose. He took an opportunity to kill Gregor and have no 'legal' repercussions.

Had he won, (he was never going to because that was how the story needed to go) he would have stayed on in KL and been an agitator to Tywin, etc and continued to work towards his revenge for Elia.

Agreed. There is literally nothing suggesting he wanted to die.

1 hour ago, Euron's Mom said:

This exactly.  This is why he died: rather than just finishing off the Mountain when he was down, Prince Oberyn kept trying to get him to not just admit guilt, but also admit that he did it under Tywin's orders.  Had he succeeded, it would have been the end of the Lannisters.  I would not believe for a second that Oberyn had any intention to die.  His mistake was he was trying to get too much in one shot and overreached.

Why would it be the end for the Lannisters? There is no one around to punish Tywin for ordering Elia raped and killed even if he did. People may put off by it but no one will do anything. 

1 hour ago, Boarsbane said:

Why would it be the end for the Lannisters? There is no one around to punish Tywin for ordering Elia raped and killed even if he did. People may put off by it but no one will do anything. 

Well not the immediate end of course, but it would be damning to them.

On 10/06/2016 at 9:00 PM, CJ McLannister said:

Yeah, Gregor was just step 1.  The theories about him poisoning Tywin suggests he may have been working on step 2 at the same time.

I subscribe to that theory.  Oberyn was fully prepared for his duel with The Mountain. I think he was going to be put of trial for the murder of Tywin and thus get to fight The Mountain then. But as the opportunity arose early he took it. He knew Tywin would die anyhow.but by then he would be back in Dorne (assuming he beat the Mountain in Tyrion's trial). Had Tyrion's trial not happened then he would have stook around until Tywin died and had his trial by combat then.

18 minutes ago, Rise said:

I have always been thinking that he poisoned Gregor to make sure he dies, if  he loses the match.

I think that's definitely accurate.  As long as he caused a flesh wound, the poison would finish him off (the Laertes method).  But I see that as hedging his bets, more than a planned loss.

30 minutes ago, CJ McLannister said:

I think that's definitely accurate.  As long as he caused a flesh wound, the poison would finish him off (the Laertes method).  But I see that as hedging his bets, more than a planned loss.

I do believe he didn't plan on dying, he was only being cautious, in case he loses. If Gregor confessed his crimes he would given relatively fast death, if he loses, Then Gregor gets very slow and agonizing death. Like did hapen. Sorry about writing errors, it have been years for my previous english writing.

1 hour ago, Rise said:

I have always been thinking that he poisoned Gregor to make sure he dies, if  he loses the match.

He didn't plan on dying, but knew he probably would.

I don't think he expected to do nearly as well as he did (until the end, of course). I don't think he thought too far ahead entering the fight, to him this was the golden opportunity to get some revenge he'd lived for for years. 

Archived