Dating: “I have this disease late at night sometimes, involving alcohol and the telephone.”

Datepalm

Man, I recently graduated from university and moved back to my home town (because that's what people from my generation do I guess), and in hanging out with my friends who I hadn't really gotten to hang out with over the last few years, and in the process, I met this chick who, over the last few months I've come to really like. Unfortunately, at the moment, I can't drive (driving caused me too much anxiety to the point it wasn't safe to have me behind the wheel when I was in high school, then I moved to a city with good public transportation for school (Seattle), so I didn't need to drive), so I've been holding off on asking her out until I can actually... you know, get to a theoretical date. The time is drawing nearer, couple of weeks. I'm not sure anything is gonna come of it, in fact, I'm fully prepared to get shut down, but I figure what the hell, might as well go for it.

10 hours ago, The Mance said:

You should tell her you're a close, personal, friend of Myrddin*.  He's famous, you know.

*practically 

I've RT'ed Myrddin, which basically makes us best pals ( that's how this works, right?) 

GT, can't you ask her out even though you can't drive/ don't have a car? Public Transport is your friend ( Edit : What I meant was - is it that bad that you can't get around the place you live without a car?)

15 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Man, I recently graduated from university and moved back to my home town (because that's what people from my generation do I guess), and in hanging out with my friends who I hadn't really gotten to hang out with over the last few years, and in the process, I met this chick who, over the last few months I've come to really like. Unfortunately, at the moment, I can't drive (driving caused me too much anxiety to the point it wasn't safe to have me behind the wheel when I was in high school, then I moved to a city with good public transportation for school (Seattle), so I didn't need to drive), so I've been holding off on asking her out until I can actually... you know, get to a theoretical date. The time is drawing nearer, couple of weeks. I'm not sure anything is gonna come of it, in fact, I'm fully prepared to get shut down, but I figure what the hell, might as well go for it.

Ask her out :)good luck 

Im in the same living position, finished uni moved back home with parents, dont drive and am pretty isolated and i cant see myself finding anyone down here to date or who would want to date me lmao so i say go for it if youve met someone you like 

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I've RT'ed Myrddin, which basically makes us best pals ( that's how this works, right?) 

GT, can't you ask her out even though you can't drive/ don't have a car? Public Transport is your friend!

Nah man, I live way out in the middle of nowhere, and she lives a few towns over, so not all that far when you have a car, but it's not feasible with public transport. It would be something like, four or five buses and, around 7 miles of walking in places with zero sidewalks. Makes me long for living in the middle of the U-District in Seattle, I was perfectly situated... but then I would have never met this chick, so oh well.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Ask her out :)good luck 

Im in the same living position, finished uni moved back home with parents, dont drive and am pretty isolated and i cant see myself finding anyone down here to date or who would want to date me lmao so i say go for it if youve met someone you like 

Yeah, this situation is pretty lame, especially when I am trying to get a job and balance that with a social life that I'm dependent on others to actually have (all my friends live in another, nearby city, but it's just not possible for me to make it out there without a ride at the moment). I've never had trouble finding women who I like, but I've never had any confidence in my chances to actually follow through on any feelings I've had in the past, Self-worth issues are the worst. I feel like me and this chick click nicely, and from what our mutual friends say, she's enjoyed our interactions (with the exception of the time I went into full on rage mode after my friends spent an evening seeing how long they could poke at me until I snapped and started yelling (I'm not a violent guy, and I hate being angry), absolutely none of it was directed at her, she was just kind of watching it unfold but I'm sure hearing someone threaten to throw a sectional at someone doesn't leave the best impression), so I think I have a shot.

Great, I'm now a minor character on the odd soap opera that is the lives of the Indian postdoc community of Jerusalem. (It measures 3.4 cricket teams.) I'm like a three-episode character that illuminates some aspects of the story and then disappears and things go back to the status quo. 

Wife of Brain Science Guy, who I finally met, is fabulous. Like, possibly the most perfect human being i've ever been in the presence of. She has tasteful green hair (seriously) and a PhD in brain science and a fondness for both Louis and Paul Theroux and a much better grasp of Jewish holidays than I do. And naturally, she knows Indian Bus Guy, who I was supposed to go out (on a date? Still a question) with today but rainchecked, which I couldn't bring up after no one managed to have a good answer for how I know her husband. (Silence goes on long enough to require laugh track, and then to require laugh track to die out.) They just have a relationship that appears to come straight out of a 70's sitcom. I kind of wish I'd somehow met her first so I could sympathetically roll my eyes while she complains about him over fruity girl drinks like every day. I'd be overjoyed to be the nerdy long-suffering friend with only B plots character in this story. I'm a little perturbed to be the most lackluster ever unwitting other woman.

2 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

I had a guy who only said Hordor.  Perhaps the same fella, but he was drunk when he messaged me?  How can there be two of this guy????

http://imgur.com/tcdv5EE

Unless this person is a 20 something from the traffic addled city of Pune, I don't think we're talking about the same person.

'Whispered Hodor' might be my new favourite thing :lol: 

On 6/11/2016 at 5:56 AM, GrimTuesday said:

Nah man, I live way out in the middle of nowhere, and she lives a few towns over, so not all that far when you have a car, but it's not feasible with public transport. It would be something like, four or five buses and, around 7 miles of walking in places with zero sidewalks. Makes me long for living in the middle of the U-District in Seattle, I was perfectly situated... but then I would have never met this chick, so oh well.

Yeah, this situation is pretty lame, especially when I am trying to get a job and balance that with a social life that I'm dependent on others to actually have (all my friends live in another, nearby city, but it's just not possible for me to make it out there without a ride at the moment). I've never had trouble finding women who I like, but I've never had any confidence in my chances to actually follow through on any feelings I've had in the past, Self-worth issues are the worst. I feel like me and this chick click nicely, and from what our mutual friends say, she's enjoyed our interactions (with the exception of the time I went into full on rage mode after my friends spent an evening seeing how long they could poke at me until I snapped and started yelling (I'm not a violent guy, and I hate being angry), absolutely none of it was directed at her, she was just kind of watching it unfold but I'm sure hearing someone threaten to throw a sectional at someone doesn't leave the best impression), so I think I have a shot.

You can't get an Uber where you live?

If you can't get places from where you live, you need to move and you need to do that before you start worrying about things like dating. Take care of yourself first.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

You can't get an Uber where you live?

If you can't get places from where you live, you need to move and you need to do that before you start worrying about things like dating. Take care of yourself first.

Nah man, I live in the middle of nowhere (well, not quite nowhere, but it is the boonies), so even if I could get an Uber, I assume it would be expensive.

At the moment, I'm living with my brother who I carpool with to work and he and I have the same friends, so when I go do shit, he is going too, so it works out well, it's just when I want to do things independently that the problem arises. I'm not some kind of housebond shut in. As I said, I'm working on getting the whole driving thing sorted, I have a car, drive test is scheduled, I'm taking care of business. Actually, right now is a point where I have at least most of my shit figured out, I'm done with school, got a job, all that fun stuff. It's just the one thing that is holding me back.

Tomorrow I am going to a punk show with a lady pal. Two of the three dudes I've been seeing will possibly be there independent of my going. My ex will possibly be there and if he is he will be under arrest. What could go wrong?

Just say 'hodor' to every question anyone asks you. Seems like the trend these days. 

On my end - have a date set up on Friday for drinks & possibly dinner - I know I've agreed to it already, but part of me just wants to stay in and watch the Euros. I need to stop being so lazy. 

Archived