Dating: “I have this disease late at night sometimes, involving alcohol and the telephone.”

Datepalm

15 minutes ago, Mandy said:

I had him watch Almost Famous and he loved it, so I was thinking either Once or Amelie... Amelie being more girlie, perhaps.  I do so love watching older movies like Shawshank with youngins... it's like you're guiding them with your superior worldliness and experience lmaorofl (yes, that's a joke)

Almost Famous is great! Shawshank is great too. I like to go further back. 

Amelie and Shawshank are *old* movies that young ones haven't heard about? Oh dear me...

I loved Amelie a lot, don't see it as specially "girlie". But then, I don't consider the awesome Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind girlie either - Dirty Dancing being called "girlie", I could probably understand, but not these movies - they surely don't look like they were mostly designed to appeal to female teens. (besides, that's a moot point when they're good movies, being good should be enough to deserve to be watched)

As for my recent predicament, a totally unexpected new focus of attention popped up last Monday; since I consider the whole thing to be totally insane, I think it will just be there to occupy my mind with something, and someone else, without going further - allowing me to stop thinking much about Miss Accountant, and eventually all of this will fade.

13 hours ago, Mandy said:

Planning to wow the college boy this evening with a movie he hasn't seen, or possibly hasn't even heard of, fun times.  Made a Hurricane joke to the dude scared of my demon summoning talents and haven't heard back.  I am still *cackling* over it every time it comes to mind.  Had considered allowing him to call and make sexual advances with sexy voice and then play scenes from the exorcist in the background.  Have made plans to summon demon later and relay to said demon funny story - outside the circle first, of course.

Make sure to reference the Lesser Key of Solomon. ;)

30 minutes ago, Mandy said:

She said something about Facebook profile pics being used on there and being able to see mutual friends?  Is this true?  After talking to her about it, and realizing it might be the best dating app/site to use now, I'm not sure I want people having access to my Facebook pics/mutual friends/ real name :P  Any advice?

Maybe set up a new Facebook profile with a pseudonym and only the photos you want to use and link the app to that?

To the best of my recollection, it does some level of filtering/ordering of people according to mutual friends and interests, and you can see if you have any mutual groups or likes on facebook (and what they are.). And possibly the actual mutual friends, but I'm not sure. 

I think it is - your whole login/profile is based on your facebook account. I don't recall a way to create an 'independent' account, though that was when I used it, which is going on a year ago now. 

22 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Of course.  I'm asking if it's required.  So if any of you folks have actually used the app want to give me a heads up, that'd be awesome.  Thanks!

Yeah, you sign up through FB and it shows mutual friends, and the pics you put up you select from fb.  (You may be able to use nonFB pictures now, not sure but I think it was an option when I renewed my acct recently.

The separate FB account for tinder is certainly something some people do, I actually like being able to see if someone knows people i do, helps with the screening process.

For example friends of certain exes id tend to not pursue.

I haven't noticed any filtering by giving preferneces to friends of friends or common 'likes' but that could certainly be ignorance on my part or a function of the area I live in.  

Additionally, I've heard there are tinder plugin apps or hacks that let you mass swipe right or have additional filters, but I haven't really looked into it as it doesn't seem necessary or desirable to me personally.

If the question is whether Tinder allows anyone to find you on facebook, through some sort of direct link, it does not.  Yes it allows you to search your facebook albums to copy photos to your tinder account, offers to use your real first name, and offers to add your interests from your facebook likes, but you can refuse to allow those things, and edit at will.

Not strictly dating-related, at least from my end, but I can now officially say that I've had a guy accidentally hit on me, having only seen me from behind. Having long hair as a guy can be entertaining sometimes (and it's not as if I look particularly feminine). 

• 2 weeks later...
On October 28, 2016 at 8:38 AM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Not strictly dating-related, at least from my end, but I can now officially say that I've had a guy accidentally hit on me, having only seen me from behind. Having long hair as a guy can be entertaining sometimes (and it's not as if I look particularly feminine). 

What was the reaction when you turned around?

So someone asked me out, I think...someone I have a couple of classes with, have spoken to quite a bit, am acquainted with on a day-to-day basis, and he probably doesn't intend to pick my brain about research proposals and there were no apps involved. And he's...ok, I guess. Likeable? I dunno. Someone I actually thought of when trying to experiement - at least mentally - with the idea of asking someone out. So kind of the ideal situation in my sense of needing someone else to make the I-ask-you effort just the once (not involving academics, economic modeling or their wife.)

Naturally, since then (yesterday) I've been vaguely awkward around him and now wish I didn't have to see him today. (To be clear, I agreed, there's just not a date on it.) This is why I keep trying to leave the country and avoid my life. Living it in 1-to-3 month increments separated by airports is just so much more conductive...

Archived