Dating: “I have this disease late at night sometimes, involving alcohol and the telephone.”

Datepalm

I believe okcupid default adds / suggests adding "taco", "tron", "saurus" and the like to usernames whenever your intended username is already taken.  Presumably because people suck at coming up with interesting, original usernames.

When it rains it pours, literally. 

Fire up OK cupid and the book guy (what did we call him?  Stephenson's fanboy?) is hitting me up again.

I also got an unsolicited ride to work because of the downpour by a cute guy at the coffee shop. 

I'll bet $20 that Mayday messages me before the end of the week.

Edit:  Oh, and Gary's blowing up my phone, because of course he is.

3 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

When it rains it pours, literally. 

Fire up OK cupid and the book guy (what did we call him?  Stephenson's fanboy?) is hitting me up again.

I also got an unsolicited ride to work because of the downpour by a cute guy at the coffee shop. 

I'll bet $20 that Mayday messages me before the end of the week.

Edit:  Oh, and Gary's blowing up my phone, because of course he is.

Someone asked me for a ride today, a resident of the mental hospital in my neighborhood. I had assumed she was an employee and it turns out she was a patient. She wanted to exchange numbers so I lied and said my wife wouldn't be very happy if I did. 

20 hours ago, Kelli Fury said:

Yeah, tell Gary we hate him and go away

I totally will. 

So during my date with the stephenson fanboy I was going on about some nerd problem (trying to build circuitry for a photodetector).  He got up and pulled a reference book out that had the exact circuit I needed.  Turns out he had tried to tackle this problem during his inventor phase with a different photodetector.  So I borrowed the book.  I told him to give me until the end of the week to sort out the circuitry and if it worked, we could work on his sensor. 

Who is this weirdo?

Just give him a nudge towards some better fiction.  For the sake of argument, and in the spirit of being unnecessarily charitvale, maybe his Stephenson thing is just because he has nothing to compare it to?  I mean if Nickelback was the only music you ever heard you might like it?  Ok that was a stretch.

Hey Gary, get bent.

6 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Just give him a nudge towards some better fiction.  For the sake of argument, and in the spirit of being unnecessarily charitvale, maybe his Stephenson thing is just because he has nothing to compare it to?  I mean if Nickelback was the only music you ever heard you might like it?  Ok that was a stretch.

Hey Gary, get bent.

He read the Three Body series and shared my outrage that the Dark Forest wasn't nominated last year :glares at everyone who nominated the abomination that is SevenEves:.  For Christmas, he's getting the Ancillary series.  I will cure men of this Stephenson foolishness one book at a time.

On 2016-12-05 at 5:15 PM, SpaceChampion said:

I believe okcupid default adds / suggests adding "taco", "tron", "saurus" and the like to usernames whenever your intended username is already taken.  Presumably because people suck at coming up with interesting, original usernames.

Also, there are quite a few people who mix those together to come up with names like "tacosaurustron"

Stephenson is a minus, certainly (well, Seveneves is, anyway. If you can hold an intelligent conversation about the Baroque cycle I may have a soft spot for you) but randomly useful circuitry is a major plus. Maybe try testing other aspects. Can he knit? How about scoutcraft? (I'm like semi serious.)

Weirdly drifty post-doc guy from last year has resurfaced as someone I see a lot around school and has become something of a mentoring relationship, which is great, except now I'm trying to figure out if this one is gay as well, just for general record keeping purposes. How do you parse the following sentence? "You should come to the thing, I invited a guy who looks like a Greek god. I mean, he has a girlfriend, but I find it inspiring just to look at him."

Meanwhile, I'm vaguely trying to work up the courage to ask out his colleauge, whom he has desribed as distant, socially cautious and repressed to me, apropos of nothing. (Obviously, I find this irresistable.) And is German, just for variety's sake. I am like 98% certain the Repressed German will take any invitation as purely social/professional, so now I need to come up with some kind of experimental protocol to check.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The reincarnation of Tesla. Please tell me his username was TacoTesla.

Although, fair warning, Tesla was an asexual being who never had a significant relationship with a woman throughout his life.

He did have his special pigeon though, so there's that.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The reincarnation of Tesla. Please tell me his username was TacoTesla.

Although, fair warning, Tesla was an asexual being who never had a significant relationship with a woman throughout his life.

Cept his pigeon. 

LMAO just kidding I think he's an awesome dude and pigeons are lovely and the fact Tesla liked pigeons so much makes me like him ever more hahha 

Having never read anything by Stephenson and knowing nothing about him or his work beyond the fact that my best friend from high school keeps trying to get me to read Snow Crash, why is he such a negative? Just bad writing? Or is he one of those Sad Puppy weirdos or whatever? 

Any other insta-turnoff authors? 

I feel this is valuable info for my reading list if I should ever dip my toe into online dating again :P

I like Stephenson, personally, so I don't really get it either. :dunno:

So I have a dating-related problem and I need some ears to vent to. Basically: I have no libido. Zilch. Mr. Starkess and I have been together for 5 years now, and I would say this started 1-2 years ago. I am not really sure why. I used to love having sex, but now I just do it for his sake. It's not like the sex is bad, he is good in bed and always makes sure I orgasm if I want to (in fact sometimes I have to convince him I don't want to because it just feels exhausting). And it's not like I'm just bored with him or something because I don't want to have sex with anyone else either. Not even myself! I used to have a super high sex drive but have had periods of low libido before, but they've always passed after a little bit. At this point I have to admit to myself that this isn't just passing. My bf has a very high sex drive (I would say we have sex about 3-4x a week right now and that is too little for him) and this is a big deal to him.

Has anyone had any experience like this? I am going to see my gyno and look into switching birth control, but from what I've researched that isn't actually usually a factor, and I've been on some form of birth control for a decade now so not sure that could be the culprit. I do have depression but have functioned with that pretty much my whole life and am not on anti-depressants (notorious libido killers). Maybe I've just aged out of wanting to have sex as I got older?

Are you on any other medication? I've found the beta-blocker I take for migraine has a pretty significant impact on my libido at the dose I'm currently on (which also has a bunch of other problems) but much less so at half the dose, so it may be a less known side effect from medication if you are. Aside from that there are a whole bunch of psychological and physiological things that can result in variation, including natural fluctuation, however you're too young for it to simply be "getting older", so even if it is a natural down swing it may tick back up on its own at some point.

ETA: Also I'm surprised at the idea its unlikely to be birth control, this stuff is absolutely influenced by hormones and BC can have huge psychological impact. I wouldn't write off that possibility. Is there anything that changes in the 6-12months prior to it starting to drop off?

Archived