Penny Dreadful: Think of me only when you dance [spoilers through season 3]

HexMachina

Previous thread was archived for some reason. Can be found here:

only three episodes left :( onwards and upwards!

eta: And here's what my last post was, including some spoiler-y stuff from next episode: 

On 9 June 2016 at 4:39 AM,  Martini Sigil said: 

Lilly's dialogue about remembering every man who ever "used" her... of course, Dorian is among those who have "paid for" Brona...

I wouldn't think that a gunshot would kill Hecate

A gunshot killed her sisters in 2/10 though.

Dorian finally had his eyes opened last episode. He was living in a dream world where he was protected by his status as Lily's equal because they are both Immortals. He rather foolishly disregarded the fact that he was guilty of the very crimes Lily was so set on punishing men for (Angelique anybody? This had been bothering me all season, so I am pleased it wasn't ignored) but Justine, being as fiery as she is, opened his eyes to thee truth. Based on vthe promos and leaked pics for the next episode:

As I suspected, he turns to Victor and co-ordinates with him to kidnap Lily and dose her with the serum. I would guess next episode for them ends with her being dragged into the carriage.

As for Dorian, i suspect the prostitutes now living in his mansion have numbered days once Lily is gone. Especially Justine. 

One other thing that has been bothering me this season is that every time Vanessa says "I am alone" or "They left" or some variation thereof...I just keep thinking, but what about Victor? You both developed a close bond last season, why have you just forgot about him? 

Also, a leaked pic from next episode shows

John Clare speaking with Vanessa 

Looking forward to that, wonder if she brings up the orderly thing...

More Vanessa and Catriona scenes should be great

ETA; been reading around a bit, looked at a few articles. And surprisingly, Lily's arc and Piper's performance actually seem generally well received. That was rather a surprise considering our little fandom here, even if I've personally enjoyed the arc (even if I think it's had to move too slowly). 

Reading these articles also reminded me of Jared shooting he Marshall and Ethan just sitting carving his steak while staring at pops which was rather hilarious.

Considering the grandiosity of Brona's speeches, I find the scale of her "war" laughable.  What exactly is her endgame? So far, it seems to consist of mutilating a bunch of men in the neighborhood and then dancing afterwards.  Maybe I'll eat my words when the season is over but I've had reservations about it since last season, and they've only increased with this one.

This is the thing with Hecate and her sisters: they're formidable until it's time for them to go. 

Anyway, Hecate's departure was abrupt which I thought was too bad, since I was interested in seeing how far she and Ethan could've gone. 

One of the articles I was reading that praised the whole Lily storyline argued that Lily represented the "revenge" side of this "war" and fell on the right side that she was still somewhat sympathetic (and yes, admittedly I see that) whereas Justine is over-zealous, jumping straight from revenge to misandry. I agree with that too, although to date she has only killed one POS and threatened two others who were equally as creepy towards women. I don't think it's been executed perfectly, but I do quite like it. I see your point at the grandiosity of her speeches is at odds with the scale of her war...

Im also with you on the Ethan front. I enjoyed what we got, but it suffered from not having long enough to dwell on it. A nine episode season, and Ethan Wild West adventure needs to be crammed in with enough time for the inevitable reuniting with Vanessa.  This left us with the rather abrupt endings of Rusk, Jared and Hecate. A shame, it was very promising and there are some lovely moments there (especially with Sir Malcom)  but it just didn't quite live up to what it could have been

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

One of the articles I was reading that praised the whole Lily storyline argued that Lily represented the "revenge" side of this "war" and fell on the right side that she was still somewhat sympathetic (and yes, admittedly I see that) whereas Justine is over-zealous, jumping straight from revenge to misandry. I agree with that too, although to date she has only killed one POS and threatened two others who were equally as creepy towards women. I don't think it's been executed perfectly, but I do quite like it. I see your point at the grandiosity of her speeches is at odds with the scale of her war...

Well, you know, I always thought the show has more than enough speeches threatening some form of Apocalypse from various sources ; I might've preferred Lily as something like a lone female version of Jack the Ripper.

18 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

This is the thing with Hecate and her sisters: they're formidable until it's time for them to go. 

Anyway, Hecate's departure was abrupt which I thought was too bad, since I was interested in seeing how far she and Ethan could've gone. 

This is true about every corporeal  villain so far. The vampire that took Mina was the same.

4 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Well, you know, I always thought the show has more than enough speeches threatening some form of Apocalypse from various sources ; I might've preferred Lily as something like a lone female version of Jack the Ripper.

Yeah, I might have preferred this to filling up Dorian's house with downtrodden women who are doing nothing.  And there isn't any time for some kind of grandiose killing scene where we see her war in action, so would have been better to give her some other way to exercise her revenge.

Heh, Catriona's last name (Hartdegen) is the surname of the Time Traveller in the 2002 adaptation of HG Wells' The Time Machine. I think this was probably intentional since Logan wrote the screenplay (but as a hidden nugget, rather than having plot relevance)

20 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Apparently the finale is next week, so we get two hours of Penny next week... But I haven't mentally prepared myself for it to end yet :crying: 

I thought there was 9 episodes this season?

20 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Apparently the finale is next week, so we get two hours of Penny next week... But I haven't mentally prepared myself for it to end yet :crying: 

huh, it does say 2 episodes left. Are you telling me this will be over before GoT?

But another powerful episode. I didn't quite expect Vanessa succumbing to Dracula.

And on the previous episode, I'm also a bit confused about the state of Ethan's soul. Did Murray and Katenay succeed in saving Ethan's soul? When Ethan did not kill his dad, it looked like they did, but it was a bit of a sudden jump from where he was just moments before. I wonder if just Hecate dying had an immediate positive effect on Ethan. At least Rask did that right. Too bad he's gone.

That initial look on Dorian's face this episode is the exact same one I wear while watching Lily's arc. Dorian basically expressed my sentiment very well about Lily's arc this episode. I laughed at his mention of being bored by it all. And you know what happens when Dorian tires of you. I am quite pleased the Lily/Dorian arc has moved onto something more interesting.

Ethan's redemption is a bit confusing. I hope we get an answer. Glad they are heading back to London now. I liked Ethan's reply about being able to save Vanessa while he is still alive.

I can't see John Clare having a happy ending. I am preparing myself for yet another tragedy in his life/unlife.

Vanessa's confrontation with Dracula was a nice cliffhanger for the episode. How far gone is she?

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I thought there was 9 episodes this season?

There are. If you watch the promo for next week, it sells itself as a two hour finale, and I was reading on a website they are airing back to back next week

I'm hoping this is the same in the UK and Sky doesn't spread them out over two weeks. I don't think I could deal with that. Plus, I am actually away the week after so would have missed the finale *sob* 

Oh and yes I have hopelessly spoiled myself on the latest episode. Got a little chuckle, once again, coming here to see people still griping about Lily, because most other sites I've read love her and Billie Piper's performance :lol: 

I may also have watched next week's three promo videos before even seeing this episode :leaving: I have no willpower to resist!

Billie Piper's performance is not -directly- the issue.

It's like Dany's constant speeches and promises  in the Qarth season  until something happens...why bother caring?

It's not news to me that people are sexist. What is news to me is what Lily will do about it. A speech every other episode and piles of viscera isn't doing something. 

EDIT:But I can see how her commentary and acting can work for some though.

This is my favorite episode of the season, so far.

I still hate Lilly, her story and want her dead or in a straight jacket.  So she sent out her sad women to find the bad men and cut off their hands.  Whatever sister.  Dorian needs to step up and take care of this nutjob and giving her to Victor isn't going to get the job done.

Both Lilly and Billie, not interested.  

Bodes ill in what sense? In terms of renewal? The double finale doesnt wprry me as such, more the situation going into it. The conclusion to this, and the stakes of it, have a sad sense of finality about it. Coupled with no announcement of a renewal yet, and well...

Also, just want to clarify i wasnt knocking anyone's opinion of Lily's arc, though i personally kind of like it. Just wanted to point out that i found the difference in opinion on her story interesting.

Last but not least, synopsis for next week seemingly says:

that Ethan and Malcom seek out Frankenstein? Does this mean we finally get our Ethan/Brona reunion?

:o kind of been hoping this would happen since her ressurection. 

Also, Dorian and Ethan awkwardness. "Did we fuck?" "Hmm, i think i recall an absinthe fuelled night yes..."

My speculation is also that Malcom dies. Kaetenay said it was his destiny or whatever to die fighting the darkness, and i think we will get at least one major death.

All thisnof course, without having seen the latest episode yet so takenit with a grain of salt...

Archived