Who would be the better father?

Betwen Tywin, Stannis and Randyll Tarly, who would you prefer to have as your father?

None of them are easy to be around, and none Id particlarly want.

Id have to prefer Stannis, since although he is grim, he seems the least cruel and viscious of the three.

Tywin would be no fun, but Randyll seems like too much of an anti-iltellectual thug to be tolerated.

Any thoughts?

Shireen's childhood seems to be as miserable as Sam and Tyrions. So, clearly not Stannis (and Selyse)

Jaime and Cersie don't seem to have disliked their childhood and even Tyrion unhappiness stemmed mostly from his dwarfism and being something of a freak in their times. The exuberant wealth would come in handy but maybe a distant father and dead mother would be a drawback.

Dickon, from what little we have seen in the books, seems a fine young man. Sam mentions that he got on very well with his sisters and mother and even mentions that he had "known several years of sweet peace with his music and his books." 

Considering that the relationship between the medieval Lord and his sons was often distant then who your father is was probably not the game changer.

Still

1. Tarly

2. Tywin

3. Stannis.

1. Stannis

2. Tywin

3. Tarly

Maybe switch 1 and 2. 

Stannis acknowledges his daughters birth right despite of everything and doesn't seem abusive at all, even if he isn't warm. Tywin would have disinherited Tyrion, but not killed him. Tarly threatened to kill Sam. So that's my order. 

Tywin would be nice because of his wealth though. 

Randyll and Tywin mess at least one of their kids up.

Tywin-what he did to Tysha cause Tyrion to have a overindulges in his vices(going to brothel and drinking). It also made Tyrion feel more like crap about himself. of the three dad, Tywin was the worse as both a dad and as a person.

Randyll- He cause Samwell to have self esteem problems(threatening  to have Sam die in an hunting accident if he did  not go to the watch, didn't help matters) .

Stannis-sure he gave his kid a creepy and insane fool as a companion, but she is still well adjusted.  He also list her first in who he has a duty to.

He did a better job than Tywin and Randyll with being a father.

44 minutes ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Shireen's childhood seems to be as miserable as Sam and Tyrions. So, clearly not Stannis (and Selyse)

Jaime and Cersie don't seem to have disliked their childhood and even Tyrion unhappiness stemmed mostly from his dwarfism and being something of a freak in their times. The exuberant wealth would come in handy but maybe a distant father and dead mother would be a drawback.

Dickon, from what little we have seen in the books, seems a fine young man. Sam mentions that he got on very well with his sisters and mother and even mentions that he had "known several years of sweet peace with his music and his books." 

Considering that the relationship between the medieval Lord and his sons was often distant then who your father is was probably not the game changer.

Still

1. Tarly

2. Tywin

3. Stannis.

Tywin had his sons girlfriend gang-raped, and it still haunts him to this day. That's not "mostly dwarfism". 

Tarly tortured his son to "make him a man" and threatened to kill him if he didn't join the Night's Watch. Letting Sam become a Maester would have been the more ethical and logical option, but Tarly figured that threatening his son with murder was the best choice.

Tywin refused to acknowledge Tyrion as his heir (even though he already is the de jure heir) and had Tyrion's wife gang-raped and then lied to Tyrion about Tysha being a whore. And like his other children, Tywin only sees Tyrion as another piece on the board to be used for the furthering of his own family legacy. Heck, he later disowns Jamie when he refuses to leave the Kingsguard and gives no respect to Cersei as queen/queen-mother regarding her as nothing less than a marriage chip.

No contest, Stannis is the best father out of these three. Tarly is next since he was at least a decent father to his other children and Tywin is the worst because he ordered the gang-rape of his son's wife and forced him to watch/go last. The only father who could be worst than Tywin that I can think of right now is Craster.

43 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Mostly due to the greyscale it seems.

No, not really. Pylos, who regards himself as the man who brought up Stannis is hugely disappointed with how she is treated

"Indeed you may," Cressen answered. As if he would ever deny her. She had been denied too often in her time. Her name was Shireen. She would be ten on her next name day, and she was the saddest child that Maester Cressen had ever known. Her sadness is my shame, the old man thought, another mark of my failure."

Sadly for Shireen she was just another extension of her fathers unhappiness with his station in life

"As for the marriage, Tommen was born of the same incest as Joffrey, and His Grace would sooner see Shireen dead than wed to such."

Stannis has one child and she has has had a miserable existence and a childhood no few would want. I doubt either Tyrion or Sam would swap places with her and Cersei, Jaime, Dickon and his sisters certainly would not.

Tywin, he'd mold me into a man. Tarly is a good option too but I'd punch Stannis in the jaw if I had to listen to his whining for very long. Plus if I'm Tywin's son, odds are I'm going to be extremely good looking and rich to boot.

Tarly severely abused Sam and threatened to murder him if he did not join the Night's Watch.

Tywin was abusive toward Tyrion, and I don't think he did a very good job with Jaime and Cersei either.  He also seems to think he can order them around them now, even as adults.

Stannis is a cold, rigid asshole, but Shireen seems to be a well adjusted young lady.  I've also seen no signs of abusive behavior by Stannis towards his daughter.

I'll go with Stannis on this one..

1 hour ago, Boarsbane said:

Tywin, he'd mold me into a man. Tarly is a good option too but I'd punch Stannis in the jaw if I had to listen to his whining for very long. Plus if I'm Tywin's son, odds are I'm going to be extremely good looking and rich to boot.

Tyrion was extremely good looking? 

1 minute ago, John Doe said:

Tyrion was extremely good looking? 

Nope but he's clearly the exception and not the rule. Jaime and Cersei are insanely beautiful, their children are also all good looking, Tywin is described as good looking despite being nearly 60, Joanna was obviously a looker too. It's like Stannis being a bald and fairly average looking Baratheon where as Renly, Roberts older bastards, and younger Robert are all described as very good looking. 

Archived