Match day 3: Turkey/Croatia, Poland/Northern Ireland, Germany/Ukraine

So, the favorites today seem to be Croatia, Poland, and Germany. According to the rankings I read, it seems that all of the matches are pretty lopsided. I think that I will spend the day hoping for an underdog to upset.

9 minutes ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

So, the favorites today seem to be Croatia, Poland, and Germany. According to the rankings I read, it seems that all of the matches are pretty lopsided. I think that I will spend the day hoping for an underdog to upset.

The latter two are, but Turkey vs Croatia should be a close game. Obviously Croatia will win in the end, starting their inevitable path to glory, though.

45 minutes ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

Turkey and Croatia will be a close one. Turkey's midfield of Turan and Calhanoglu is almost a match for Modric and Rakitic. Also Turkey seem to do well in tournaments, and have the same manager who took them to the semis in 2008, beating Croatia on the way.

52 minutes ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

I agree that Turkey and Croatia will be close and Germany will probably beat the Ukraine. Northern Ireland vs Poland isn't a clear thing to me, though. Poland did really poorly in 2012 and Northern Ireland won their qualification group.

Poland are in theory much better than they were in 2012, and NI's group was very poor. Poland should dominate, but the worry is that there's always been a mental block at tournaments no matter how well the prelims have gone, and they didn't look great in the last two friendlies.

So Norn Iron have a chance, but Poland should be favourites.

NI could get themselves in trouble if they concentrate too hard on Lewandowski though. I'm looking for a breakout tournament from Milik alongside him up front.

I'm fascinated to see this NI team. I agree that they'd be better off not concentrating too much on Lewandowski. They need to play as a unit in a way that prevents decent service to the big man. They can do it because they've done it in qualifying for two years, but I've still made Lewandowski my fantasy captain because if NI get it wrong he could run riot.

Cracking goal, Modric.

Really good tournament so far.

Interesting, Poland are starting with 19-year-old Bartosz Kapustka (translation: little cabbage) on the left wing (he's normally a central mid, but a very attacking one). I've only seen him so far in glimpses and cameos, but if he lives up to those, that's another threat to Northern Ireland's stubborn defence. It's a very attacking lineup from Poland.

I predict a boring match and 0-0 at the end. Poland might dominate the game, but I'm afraid they won't have too many great ideas as for breaking Irish reinforced defense. Hope I'm wrong.

Um. Becauze theze are the next victimz of the mighty Germanz of courze.

17 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

For once we get to share the "worst anthem of the tournament" award with Northern Ireland :P

Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła,
Kiedy my żyjemy.
Co nam obca przemoc wzięła,
Szablą odbierzemy.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski.
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
Przejdziem Wisłę, przejdziem Wartę,
Będziem Polakami.
Dał nam przykład Bonaparte,
Jak zwyciężać mamy.
Marsz, marsz...
Jak Czarniecki do Poznania
Po szwedzkim zaborze,
Dla ojczyzny ratowania
Wrócim się przez morze.
Marsz, marsz...
Już tam ojciec do swej Basi
Mówi zapłakany —
Słuchaj jeno, pono nasi
Biją w tarabany.
Marsz, marsz...

Poland has not yet perished,
So long as we still live.
What the alien force has taken from us,
We shall retrieve with a sabre.
March, march, Dąbrowski,
From the Italian land to Poland.
Under your command
We shall rejoin the nation.
We'll cross the Vistula and the Warta,
We shall be Polish.
Bonaparte has given us the example
Of how we should prevail.
March, march...
Like Czarniecki to Poznań
After the Swedish occupation,
To save our homeland,
We shall return across the sea.
March, march...
A father, in tears,
Says to his Basia
Listen, our boys are said
To be beating the tarabans.
March, march...

There's nothing wrong with our anthem, aside from the spelling of course... ;)

Archived