Match day 3: Turkey/Croatia, Poland/Northern Ireland, Germany/Ukraine

If Germany really wants to win this thing, Gómez should play as little as possible, as their attack doesn't really gel when he's on the pitch.

Not that I really care, but it obviously would be more fun for Ireland to knock out the reigning world champions on the way to the title.

ETA: see? No need for Gómez.

Just now, Eoin AS said:

Ukraine really needed to make more of those first half opportunities, Germany looked comfortable in the second while Ukraine seemed to be tiring.

Yeah. I'd say Ukraine showed in the last quarter of the first half that they have a very good offense and for most of the second half that they have a pretty good defense.

Germany presented it itself plexible as usual and showed that their defense only consists of Neuer and Boateng. As usual.

Just my worthless two cents...

Pleasantly surprised with Ukraines performance tonight. They've got two amazing wingers and should've scored at least once in the first half.

I still believe Gomez should've come on for Gotze though, because Germany really lacked players in the area. Almost all their chances were from long-range shots. Which weren't bad at all, mind you. However with Hector and Howedes almost playing as wingers, there are plenty of chances to deliver a good cross to a striker that can actually head.

Germany can control a game for long periods but look short of ideas up front.  Ozil, Gotze and Mueller were all pretty poor (in descending order of ineffective).  Too many safe passes, not enough runs beyond defenders, and the few that did happen were rarely picked out by a good pass. This team has aged badly.  The high-pressing, fast counter, swarm attack team was nowhere to be seen today.  That looked more like an LVG team.  Now they have far too many similar players and no spark or dynamism.

Ukraine were really good for about 20 minutes and showed why two wide wingers can be more dangerous than the ubiquitous attacking full backs.  But they didn't take their chances and then they really backed off in the second half and conceded the initiative. 

10 hours ago, Ser Zlatan said:

I still believe Gomez should've come on for Gotze though, because Germany really lacked players in the area. Almost all their chances were from long-range shots. Which weren't bad at all, mind you. However with Hector and Howedes almost playing as wingers, there are plenty of chances to deliver a good cross to a striker that can actually head.

The problem is that bringing on Gómez leads to the attack plan shifting to hitting crosses/long balls to him with none of the variation otherwise seen in Germany's attacking game in evidence.

Gómez also doesn't really get involved in the game at all in terms of winning or retaining possession, which means that odds are Germany can't take control of the game the way they did in the second half against Ukraine when he's on the field.

21 minutes ago, 3StadtMueller said:

Anyvay, ve're ze firzt team to vin by more zan one goal. Clearly zere can be no more zolid proof zat ve've juzt begun our gloriouz road to ze final.

I juszt hope your manager forgot to szhake handsz with opponentsz after doing thisz.

Archived