[Spoilers] Criticize without repercussion

teemo

I wish they would give Lena Headey more to do. She's great when portraying actual Cersei. Remember in the episode Blackwater? She killed it. She's spent the majority of this season whispering, looking like she's about to fall asleep.

On 13 June 2016 at 5:51 PM, Steelegrave said:

And the hits just keep on comin.

From the preview Ramsey Sue leaves a perfectly good fortress to fight Jon "Absolutely-no-character-progression-after-being-murdered-and-brought-back" Snow and his Wild Bunch on the field.

These guys don't have the first clue what they are doing.  A class of 3rd Graders could write a more logical story.

They did say themes are for third graders. So the y would definitely do a better job.  How can you even write without having themes.  No wonder we have this mess.

I strongly disagree with the whole point that the cast of GoT is kind of weak. I think they are all very good and they have proved it in the first seasons. They just don't have good stuff in their hands right now. Not only some dialogues are badly written, furthermore, each of them has around 5 minutes in every episode to make a difference. One of the main problems in GoT right now is the number of protagonists. I consider that a problem even in the books, but when it comes in TV, it's basically impossible to pull off a show with so many key figures. I think that is the numero uno problem with season 6, even bigger one than DnD's bad writing.

On 14 June 2016 at 5:13 AM, ummester said:

Though I agree the show has turned to shit I think those of you holding out for something better in the book (or holding out for the books at all) are as deluded as those that think the show is still good. This story has lost it's way - period, on page or screen, it seems like it is turning to poop.

Don't agree about the forthcoming books at all. Reading the released chaptes of TWOW shows that we have some incredible writing and plots to look forward to.  GRRM certainly hasn't lost his touch.  We have been waiting a long time and rom the sample chapters we won't be disappointed. 

18 minutes ago, 43ry5274rg4ry3n said:

One of the main problems in GoT right now is the number of protagonists. I consider that a problem even in the books, but when it comes in TV, it's basically impossible to pull off a show with so many key figures. I think that is the numero uno problem with season 6, even bigger one than DnD's bad writing.

The Wire managed it...

27 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

The Wire managed it...

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing.  The Wire had a massive cast as well where some characters didn't get much screentime, yet they managed to humanize almost everyone and the cast was always incredible.  Hell, Omar, everyone's favorite character, only got a small fraction of McNulty's screentime and left a huge impact.  Granted, they had much better material to work with, but still, I also think they had better casting.  Alexa S. Fogel is one of the best casting directors ever...GoT and Nina Gold, on the other hand, hired two of its biggest characters in the series straight out of acting school, and it shows.  

On 14 June 2016 at 6:54 PM, Armand Gargalen said:

What a terribly sh***y episode!!! I won't even go into the Arya nonsense, enough have been said.

Instead I am focusing on what I found the worse of it all, the Hound's scenes. Not only were they horribly written, but his arc this season is a proof of how the sowrunners can not even begin to understand GRRM's work.

IMHO, one of the main themes Mr Martin has been trying to convey throughout the books is the idea that personal vendettas, although they may look cool in fiction, only cause more suffering, more often than not to people who wasn't even involved in the original offence to start with, and ends up being deeply unsatisfying. Robert's Rebellion, Cat's stupid decission to arrest Tyrion in GOT or the Red Viper whole arc are, I believe, good examples of this.

Instead, we have the showrunners using the Hound to glorify mindless violence and personal revenge. Not only that, they have to make the "avengees" a bunch of cruel, stupid men, who broke the BWB rules of not attacking the innocent smallfolk for no other reason that we cheer Clegane for butchering them back. . On the other hand, GRRM is quite clear at stating that men becoming mindless killong machines is a consequence of war, not the other way around. But that does not matter to D&D, who think that the Hound gutting people with an axe and bargaining with Dondarrion about how many he has the right to kill is soooooo badass cool material. For me, it was just nauseating to watch.

Totally agree.  They butchered his arc. Should have just left him on the Quiet Isle.  They just  don't get GRRM themes, but they have never been interested in that.  It's for third graders

13 hours ago, Darkstream said:

So let me get this strait, GRRM, in the books, has Arya assume many different identities. Arry, Weasel, Nan, Squab, Salty, Cat, Beth, Mercy, and I'm sure there might be some minor ones that I'm missing. And somehow, after reading their crib sheets, d$d figured that a good way to adapt this amazing character from the written page to a visual medium was to give her the identities of Wolverine and Sarah fucking Connors. 

Like what???? Seriously d$d. these censored, censored, censored, censoredare not only showing no interest in even attempting to adapt the books anymore, but they are vindictively doing everything in their power to destroy and defecate all over this brilliant and beautiful story.

You know, after things like "play with her arse", "You want the bad pussy", warty fucking cocks, enough crude dick jokes to fill a "101 funniest lamest" book, along with the countless other atrocities that d$d have committed while adapting this story, I have had absolutely zero faith in them to make an even palatable adaption of ASOIAF. But even I, one of harshest cynics of d$d didn't think that they could stoop so low as to give us this horrible, and offensive of a show as they have this season.

I am so utterly embarrassed to think of all the people that I talked into watching this show after season 1. :blushing: :leaving:

It's like they hate GRRM and deliberately stuff up and change things that are brilliant until we end up with this mess.

40 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

The Wire managed it...

Yes well the Wire was one of a kind, sadly I think that the GoT as the show, is not as good as the Wire. To be honest though, in ASOIAF the characters are a lot more than in the Wire... Still I know what you mean.

13 hours ago, kronosrx8 said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/13/game-of-thrones-maisie-williams-explains-why-arya-was-never-goin/

"I wanted her to look like she was struggling. I didn’t want [the chase stunts] to be unnecessary or superhuman. I got on set and they were [going to have Arya] rolling around, and diving, and I was like, 'That looks amazing, but no.' I’d be like, 'Why would she run over there? She’d just duck under here and just get out."

LOL you know there are serious problems with the writing when your 19 year old actress is questioning the logic in the scene and could probably write a better storyline than the actual writers themselves. They wanted to have her stabbed for the shock value but also wanted an epic chase sequence so they ignore all the inconsistencies to make it happen. Just proof that they wanted to have their cake and eat it to.

They did it because as the infamously said creatively it made sense to them.  Uuurggg

1 hour ago, teemo said:

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing.  The Wire had a massive cast as well where some characters didn't get much screentime, yet they managed to humanize almost everyone and the cast was always incredible.  Hell, Omar, everyone's favorite character, only got a small fraction of McNulty's screentime and left a huge impact.  Granted, they had much better material to work with, but still, I also think they had better casting.  Alexa S. Fogel is one of the best casting directors ever...GoT and Nina Gold, on the other hand, hired two of its biggest characters in the series straight out of acting school, and it shows.  

Yeah, that was a fine ensemble cast. It can be done.

The younger main characters, with a couple of exceptions, are not able to rise above the material. On another show, with better writing, they might have pulled it off.

9 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I think you can say much the same for the whole GoT ensemble. The show itself is bringing them down.

Yeah, I would agree with this, an actor needs something to draw on, and that's often missing, or inexplicably changes. Plot is driving character, character is lost, what to do, make it up, but that's not so easily done.

I have thing for you people: 

Thank god for Preston Jacobs. With him i don't need to torture myself with nearly hour long episode every week to know how shitty the show is now.

But really, why the fuck everyone now wants to fuck Brienne? Thing that she was ugly and noone wanted her is one of major reasons why she became warrior. 

And i fear that Varys left meeren only to magical appear in kings landing and assasinate this old man lannister (what was even his name :wacko:?) Nah, i better get hyped because arya killed tis bitch with name what noone remembers and finally became noone! YAY! HURRAY! ALSO  BATTLE OF BASTARDS!!! WOW IT WILL BE SO GOOD!!! 

Normie tribe off

6 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

Absolutely that has always been one of my pet theories is that for what ever reason D&D take on way too much responsibility.  They would be far better served to delegate tasks, especially the writing.  I wonder whether it is their wanting to control everything or an inability to play (work) well with others

I think they're control freaks. If you read Aiden's recent interview  (he was quite salty) he said you have go through all these channels in order to make a small change in how the lines are delivered and they decide whether or not it's allowed. It's not a very collaborative atmosphere for an actor. The best performances are ones in which the director allows for a bit of improversation. Rory also said that one director will tell him one thing and then D and D will tell him another. They also write the majority of the episodes. They made their own mess, and I don't feel sorry for them. There is no reason that they have to write the majority of the episodes or micromanage the actors to that degree. Then they complain about being burnt out. Duh. That happens when you don't allow anyone else to write or direct without your input. And they are loving the fraternity they've created in the writer's room. I have heard from sources that it is a complete bro-fest on set. They are intentionally limiting the diversity of their writing and directing staff.  But it's to their own creative detriment if you ask me.

2 hours ago, 43ry5274rg4ry3n said:

Yes well the Wire was one of a kind, sadly I think that the GoT as the show, is not as good as the Wire. To be honest though, in ASOIAF the characters are a lot more than in the Wire... Still I know what you mean.

Well, pretty much no show is as good as The Wire.  There are like one or two other shows in its league. David Simon was a respected journalist, author, and television writer.  Ed Burns worked in homicide in the BPD for 20 years and worked closely with Simon in writing.  George Pelecanos, who wrote all the penultimate, heartbreaking Wire episodes was a successful novelist.  David Benioff's biggest accomplishment was Troy, which was horrible, while Weiss has pretty much done nothing. Same with Bryan Cogman.  They are just way out of their depth. Can't really expect people like this to make an ensemble cast work as well as it did on The Wire, but the point is that it can be done.  D&D are just bad and inexperienced.

On 14.06.2016 at 6:29 AM, sleath56 said:

Also, the sudden growth of a rebellious streak from that one guard that defied Brynden was horribly played out. Who knew Edmure was so respected among the troops they would defy the Blackfish? Yes, Edmure is your technical liege lord, but he is a captive and you are under siege from a confirmed army of backstabbers, rapists and looters with only the word of protection from a Kingslayer. The idea the Riverrun guards would draw their sword on the Blackfish is also so hilarious I actually laughed.

Chill dude we already had House Royce soldiers willing to kill Yohn on SweetRobin request, martell soldiers not giving a fuck about Doran, ironborn not giving a fuck about euron killing their king and black brothers willing to join Alliser Thorne for killing their lord commander.

It looks that common people in Westeros have no brain and can only obey commands like slaves. 

18 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Chill dude we already had House Royce soldiers willing to kill Yohn on SweetRobin request, martell soldiers not giving a fuck about Doran, ironborn not giving a fuck about euron killing their king and black brothers willing to join Alliser Thorne for killing their lord commander.

It looks that common people in Westeros have no brain and can only obey commands like slaves. 

Don't forget the entire North basically being completely down with Ramsey shivin' dear ol' dad, too!  It appears GoT's version of the actual game of thrones has a very short rule book and really only has one way to win ~ just kill the person in power and you immediately get to take their place.  It's very simple, people! :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Don't forget the entire North basically being completely down with Ramsey shivin' dear ol' dad, too!  It appears GoT's version of the actual game of thrones has a very short rule book and really only has one way to win ~ just kill the person in power and you immediately get to take their place.  It's very simple, people! :rolleyes:

Gives a new meaning to the tagline: "When you play the game of thrones you win or you die!"

Archived