[Poll] How would you rate episode 608?

Ran

How would you rate episode 608?  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

2/10

A point for Edmure Tully. Excellent comeback. The rest is utter rubbish.

I suspect that D&D are preparing a special GoT edition reduced solely to cock jokes. They can fill a whole feature length easily.

Braavos was an abomination and a stupidity fest. Arya is definitely superhuman and the Night King is doomed.

Meereen is so dull no one can fill awkward pauses. 

KL is running around in circles.

And finally and most importantly Jaime Lannister is dead. His character has been buried with his speech about loving Cersei paired with his admission that he sent Brienne on a fool's errand. I do not know whom Nikolaj is supposed to play, but that has nothing to do with Jaime Lannister. 

Blackfish was another wasted character who came to visit us briefly for no reason and died for no reason.

And Daenerys is being parachuted by Drogon. I suspect she can try to beat LF's teleport with this technique.

Brian Cogman tried to save this show, but then D&D came along a ruined it all. They did not read the books, they despise the books and they are so untalented, they shouldn't be let near a keyboard. Plus, all these cock jokes lead me to wonder if they need some counselling. 

Visually there was some great stuff.  It was like a Zach Snyder film.  If you just watched the pretty pictures, it was terrific. Once you look under the hood, however, it was pure garbage.

Jaime/Edmure saves the episode.  Remember when stuff like this was regular on the show?  You have excellent actors, give them meaningful things to do.  Sadly the ham hands writing took over with the conclusion of that arc.

The Waif didn't really bother me until we discovered she was the worst assassin in the history of the world.  I'm pretty confident I (an overweight 40's man who has never hurt anything larger than a spider) would succeeded in at least one of the two milk run killings she was offered. I hope our medicine one day evolves to that possessed by actors in Braavos. Do you think she did commercials where she played a doctor, or just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night?

Hound and BWB worked too.  Again, good actors given meaningful things to do.  I was relieved Thoros didn't have breast augmentation surgery since it seems Red Priests have become the #2 method for getting boobs on the screen.  I figured he would have become Thoren of Myrrish Lace.

32 minutes ago, Misnthropia said:

Can people stop peddling this tired line out?

If you look in this thread you will find it hard to find someone actually comparing them to book details. Many here are criticizing the show plotlines as show plot lines. Separating them does not make them any better.

Riverrun was still a utter waste of time. Arya was still 2 seasons of "Cool, now im going home" and Brienne just traveled halfway round the world to hear "Nope" and then got in a rowboat.

And again, stop putting words in someone else's mouth. I simply stated I don't compare the two.

The funny part is you say this, and then immediately after say this

20 minutes ago, Misnthropia said:

Agreed. With Book backstory you can kinda get an idea of what theyre TRYING to do.

Right now, you cant even get that.

So, all I am saying is that if you had never read the books, your views on the show may be different. I know plenty of people who have not read the books and they love the show. They aren't mad that Clegane bowl isn't happening, or LSH, or fAegon, or Jaime redemption arc is maybe going differently.

4/10. Awful. Arya's storyline over the past two seasons seems a complete waste of time now. I called it last week that she would go to Lady Crane to get stitched up, but I didn't expect that whole assassins creed parkour bullshit, and her with a bleeding wound. AND THEN we dont even get to see the actual fight between Arya and the waif, just a tacky candle slice and then darkness. Pissed me off. And then Dany just rollin on through the window? Tacky as hell. like it was a badass move, but they way it was portrayed in this show was beyond tacky. So much ugh from this episode. AND we dont even see Blackfish die. Like WTF

Are they mad that Arya turned into a stupid super hero?  Are they mad that Dany now repeats the same scene over and over?  Are they mad that Tyrion went to Meereen to tell jokes?  Are they mad that nothing has happened in KL the entire season?  Are they mad that a character they probably didn't remember, Blackfish, got a few scenes to no end in particular?  Are they mad about all of this filler and wheel spinning and redoing scenes from earlier seasons?

10 hours ago, Ser Creighton said:

It was ok, pretty much another setup episode. We get the battle of Meereen and the battle of Winterfell coming. Varys is off to get help, hmmm something tells me Dorne, the army of the Sun and Littlefinger with the army of the moon.

I liked RR better in the books.

The hound was ok, but felt out of place in this episode. I enjoyed the scene but it was just him killing.

Cersei and the Mountain was decent, Tommen is an idiot.

Tyrion's scene was ok but it was like filler till the fleet arrived.

Arya, I didn't really like the scene, I'm hurt, I am not hurt, I am hurt, I am not hurt. At least the terminator died. Felt like I was watching the T1000.

It was alright.

My thoughts exactly!! The scenes in Braavos seemed to be taken straight from a Terminator movie.

In the words of the late, great radio DJ Casey Kasem "ponderous man, fucking ponderous."

I felt violated by last nights episode. I mean, this whole season has been like being married to Ramsey Bolton but this went way too far. I rated last episode a 2/10 (best episode this season) and thought maybe we might even get a 3 this week but wow. Just wow.

I will probably make a few comments in this thread today once I decompress but I really have to lead with this one. There was an episode of Family Guy, don't know which one, where Peter says that he loves it when they mention the title of the movie in the movie. They show a cut away to him watching A Perfect Storm and when they say "it's a perfect storm" he gets irrationally excited.

D$D just did this with chicken. When the hound mentioned chicken I imagine there was only two reactions. The first, which was mine, was to facepalm, groan and feel physically ill. The other is to, like Special Ed on Crack Yankers, scream YAYYYYYYYYYY CHICKEN

The fact that they shoe horned multiple chicken comments into this episode was mind boggling. I am dumbfounded.

In season one when they beheaded Ned I knew it was coming. I haven't been with this series from the start, but I got involved long before the HBO show. Still, they way they built up to the beheading and how they shot the sept of balor it was really moving. That they have gone from that scene to this in 6 years is, quite frankly, scary and barring some form of serious illness I honestly don't understand how it is possible.

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Are they mad that Arya turned into a stupid super hero?  Are they mad that Dany now repeats the same scene over and over?  Are they mad that Tyrion went to Meereen to tell jokes?  Are they mad that nothing has happened in KL the entire season?  Are they mad that a character they probably didn't remember, Blackfish, got a few scenes to no end in particular?  Are they mad about all of this filler and wheel spinning and redoing scenes from earlier seasons?

Agree with the Arya, and Dany comments. Disagree with the KL, not sure how anyone can say nothing has happened there. The FM has a tighter grip than ever, even changed the rules of trials. Cersei is more isolated than ever, very clearly so in the throne room scene. Getting hints of the wildefire potentially happening.

The BF, agree here too, would rather have seen his death on screen.

14 minutes ago, dbunting said:

And again, stop putting words in someone else's mouth. I simply stated I don't compare the two.

The funny part is you say this, and then immediately after say this

So, all I am saying is that if you had never read the books, your views on the show may be different. I know plenty of people who have not read the books and they love the show. They aren't mad that Clegane bowl isn't happening, or LSH, or fAegon, or Jaime redemption arc is maybe going differently.

You are stating that people should not compare the two. Do you need to state that if noone does compare them?

Youre comment is simply unwarranted and you are baiting the comment.

In my quote, I did not compare them.

Edited by Misnthropia

2 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

In the words of the late, great radio DJ Casey Kasem "ponderous man, fucking ponderous."

I felt violated by last nights episode. I mean, this whole season has been like being married to Ramsey Bolton but this went way too far. I rated last episode a 2/10 (best episode this season) and thought maybe we might even get a 3 this week but wow. Just wow.

I will probably make a few comments in this thread today once I decompress but I really have to lead with this one. There was an episode of Family Guy, don't know which one, where Peter says that he loves it when they mention the title of the movie in the movie. They show a cut away to him watching A Perfect Storm and when they say "it's a perfect storm" he gets irrationally excited.

D$D just did this with chicken. When the hound mentioned chicken I imagine there was only two reactions. The first, which was mine, was to facepalm, groan and feel physically ill. The other is to, like Special Ed on Crack Yankers, scream YAYYYYYYYYYY CHICKEN

The fact that they shoe horned multiple chicken comments into this episode was mind boggling. I am dumbfounded.

In season one when they beheaded Ned I knew it was coming. I haven't been with this series from the start, but I got involved long before the HBO show. Still, they way they built up to the beheading and how they shot the sept of balor it was really moving. That they have gone from that scene to this in 6 years is, quite frankly, scary and barring some form of serious illness I honestly don't understand how it is possible.

They're no longer really writing a show, they're riffing on it.  One chicken comment, okay maybe, that was an epic scene, and one of the best of the entire show.  But more than one, and you might as well  have him turn directly to the camera and start talking to the audience.

Just now, Misnthropia said:

You are stating that people should not compare the two. Do you need to state that if noone does compare them?

In my quote, I did not compare them.

Not really, I am saying that a lot of people have certain things that they want to have happen or assume will happen from the books and when they don't happen in the show the anger rises. Not saying that you are one of them but there are a thousand and one.

Now, I will not defend the Arya scenes. I said the same thing last week, this was done wrong and poorly.

I am also tired of Dany just appearing and standing before everyone. This has been the case since Season 1 Ep 1. She has done that stance or walk in every season.

Now does that make is a shit show, nope. Every show has it's flaws.

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The BF, agree here too, would rather have seen his death on screen.

I would rather have seen him act like a rational human being. Going with Brienne to help Sansa and plan to eventually take back Riverrun with the army she has as soon as they are successfully done in the north.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

and you might as well  have him turn directly to the camera and start talking to the audience.

right. I will admit that the Clegane "every fucking chicken in this place was well delivered. Last season was hit and miss but when it was on it was on really well.

I mean a lot of people on this board, myself included, have been joking about Clegane bowl and the possibility of chicken being the deciding factor...but come on...I mean really? Also, I get what you are saying about riffing on the show. I think "riffing" is too nice a word. "defecating" might be a good substitute.

1 hour ago, Emanresu said:
7 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

THANK YOU. omg for reallll? They literally wrote that line to play into the meme culture surrounding the hound and chicken. What a joke. 

9 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

THANK YOU. omg for reallll? They literally wrote that line to play into the meme culture surrounding the hound and chicken. What a joke. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Arya - Yeah, I am not happy about how this played out. They really should have left her injury from Ep 7 to just the gut slash. The whole stab and twist thing made this hard to swallow, but this is a fantasy show. I mean there are dragons, tree people, wargs and people who can change their faces. At least we finally got her to say who she was, she is Arya Stark of House Stark of Winterfell.

A lot of people seem to justify bad writing in the same way you do which is basically "It's a fantasy show so it doesn't have to make sense." Any good story, be it fantasy or not, has to be self-consistent. This doesn't mean that all the laws of our universe have to apply. This means that the fictional universe you create must have some laws of its own which are established relatively early in the story. If they are broken, then it's just bad storytelling. I have no problem with dragons, tree people, wargs and people who can change their faces because the existence of magic and magical creatures was established in the very beginning of the story. Even the revivals are self-consistent in the World of Ice and Fire. 

But when it comes to Arya, she's just a normal human being. She has no magical self-healing skills, therefore her jumping and running when she should be dead without any consistent explanation is simply bad writing and the fact that GoT is a fantasy show is completely irrelevant.  

stunned by the River Run silliness.  That Edmure would sell out his family, his friends, his heritage, over the welfare of a child he does not know, has not seen, and won't ever see.

In the time frame we are looking at, with the conflicts, the wars, the world view, the 'way things are',  it's ludicrous that Edmure would turn the fortress over to the Lannisters like that.   It was very disappointing,  to see reality (or what usually passes for reality in Westeros), suspended, simply because the script writers could not do better than that.

Just briefly, the silliness with Arya, badly wounded, then bounding around like some parkour athlete, was insulting to our intelligence.

I did like the timely appearance of Dany, but thought those in the room were slow to show their obeisance.

Just now, servethe_Realm said:

you hit the nail right on the head. I don't know how a big tv show writing room works but I imagine at some point someone said something like "hey this chicken thing is really popular, we need to work it in." The hound's character arc has been changed from a story of childhood cruelty both physical and mental reiterating itself in adult brutality coming full circle to self recognition and redemption to "Bustin' ass and eati'n chicken" Just like Dany's entire plot arc has been stripped of meaning and turned to "girl power, tits and dragons"

So much here. So much to be ashamed of. It is really summed up well in Sansa shaming Jon and telling him that he doesn't understand just how bad Ramsey is. Yes, by all means, tell your brother who has just returned from the dead after being killed by his own men after coming home from being north of the wall where he fought an army of undead and the king of the snow zombies that he has no idea how bad a guy like Ramsey is because he dicked you doggy style on your wedding night......NIghts King? fuck that. This guy liked rough sex.

One is almost tempted to vote Hugh just because of the doomsayers in this forum. Non-stop hate. Thanks for watching, supporting the show you seem to hate so much. You showed us!

7.5/10. Probably the weakest episodes this week. The best parts was the Hound, and the twist in kinds landing. I was really hoping for mountain having a huge fight, sucks that it won't happen